[RELEASE SOMETHING! DAY XIII] FEEDBACK THREAD

author=kentona
Was I too late to make the cut?

You're not alone.

author=PepsiOtaku
What's a deadline??
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
@pianotm Thank you and much appreciated. I'm glad you liked the game, but I would still like to read your constructive criticism as well. I've found puzzle games to be a very polarizing genre. Thanks for the review though, and looking forward to reading it :)
Fiiiiine. >.<;
And since you now make the cut, so does Pepsi.

Heads up, peeps, two entries added to the list.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Pizza - Photometric (commented on various images, like so)
Housekeeping - Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass (comments on images, like so)
FangStiltzkin - Walk of Life (comments on images, like so)
Racheal + MakioKuta - April was a Fool (comments on images, like so)
Cap_H - Mace Blue (comments on images, like so)
Charblar + unity - Hanging On (comments on images, like so)

El_Waka - Pinkie Hops
The graphics are pretty simple and the animations are really nice. It'd be nice to have something to tell you what keys to use, though controls are simple enough to figure out. The music is rather loud, but it's chirpy.
There are a few issues with it, though. The difficulty ramps up quite fast in the first level. You can't see where you're supposed to jump so you make leaps of faith and hope you hit right - which is a pity because when you fail you end up right back at the start again. A checkpoint would help a lot.
The constant restart of the music got a bit annoying, sadly.
I really liked the animations of the sprite, though. It looked great and I just wanted to walk around instead of jumping to watch it. Good job on that!

author=Ratty524
@MakioKuta: Thanks for your feedback! I was definitely aiming for personality and clarity with the monster battlers. The Goodybag is supposed to have "Hm? OH MY JESUS HUMANS ARE GOING TO KILL ME!" kind of expression, but I think I didn't really pull it off well with the smaller scale of the sprite and the way I did the eyebrows (I was sort of thinking of Akira Toriyama's early artwork when designing it).

I totally see the Toriyama influence! I really love the goody bag and the expression idea makes me smile, so I wanted to try to see if I could fiddle with it to make the eyebrows look more like eyebrows and less like lumps. Sorry if this is unwelcome, but I moved their position a tiny bit and I think that it helps a lot.
http://orig12.deviantart.net/e75f/f/2015/075/1/3/goodybag_by_makio_kuta-d8lzvps.png

And you are correct, Rach and my game isn't avaliable yet. But it will be on April 1st :>
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Liberty
If it wasn't released on Release Something Day, it doesn't count, sorry. (Friday 13th) That's what the whole thing is about - releasing something on the day. It was an event. This is still part of the event and only for those releases that made the deadline. Soz.
Ah that's fine, that's a day before it was publicly available, regardless, I put it up anyway.
^Added since it's not fair if others who were also late to the party got added and you didn't. BUT THAT'S THE LAST OF 'EM!
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=Liberty
^Added since it's not fair if others who were also late to the party got added and you didn't. BUT THAT'S THE LAST OF 'EM!

Softie :)

...oooh more shiny things to look at
sbethune81
I don't have a growth mindset...yet.
@synbi - Some feedback for your demo (also left on the game's page)

Right off the bat, I enjoyed the shopkeeper...he's quite a character. I especially liked the ogre's head line =). The songs for the title screen and in the town were both pleasant. I'm intrigued by the idea of your curse. It's unique. I appreciated the arrows telling me the zone points, but I wish there was a popup message or show text command telling me the name of the item I get right after I get it. It wouldn't be totally necessary, as you do a good job of having the main character describe the item before taking it, but you might consider it. I found a few grammatical errors, and if you like I can point them out. Just let me know.

It's getting late. I'll play more when I have a chance. It gives a great first impression.
author=kentona
author=Archeia_Nessiah
Do we have to make our feedback public or are we allowed to PM it?
I'm cool with PM's, but you'd have to tell us that you did it! I am not going to go snooping.

Yay! I gave puddle a huge laundry list of feedback and what I thought about Eidolscence (Liberty also have seen this) that eventually turned into a discussion.

I gave feedback to kiddo.
Ebeth
always up for cute art and spicy gay romance
author=Marrend
@Ebeth: I got a score of about 190 in the shooter mini-game. If that helps. Though, really, I don't think that should even be a thing you should be worried about.

Thanks! The players score will affect things in game so it does matter!

author=drenrin2120
Everything Will Be Fine
I really love the graphics and setting. The intro cut-scene was hella cute. <3 The main character and story telling was interesting enough that I was kind of sad the demo ended so soon. I'd like to get to know more about our protagonist and what exactly she's doing in space all alone. ;)

The scrolling shooter mini game was a nice touch, but I was confused by it at first. I figured out that the character was just playing a game fairly quickly, but a prompt asking me whether I wanted to play the game or not instead of just jumping into it would have been nice.

The game randomly crashed when saving. It didn't tell me why, it just said RGGS has stopped working and will close now.

That puzzle at the end took forever! ...because I'm terrible at such things! Only gripe is that it wasn't immediately obvious I had to press esc to exit the puzzle screen after I'd beaten it.

All and all, really just some minor complaints. You seem to have a great start with this project. I'll be following this one for sure!

Thanks for the feedback! I'll make sure to have more prompts and better instructions in the final ver. Also that's really weird that it crashed when trying to save. I'll have to look into that.

Anyone else have this issue?
author=Liberty
If it wasn't released on Release Something Day, it doesn't count, sorry. (Friday 13th) That's what the whole thing is about - releasing something on the day. It was an event. This is still part of the event and only for those releases that made the deadline. Soz.

SORRY THAT SOME OF US WERE SLEEPY THAT DAY
author=Liberty
Fiiiiine. >.<;
And since you now make the cut, so does Pepsi.

author=Liberty

SORRY YOU CAN'T READ POSTS ;p

(also, the question that was in answer to was asked on the 15/16th... a full 2-3 days after the deadline. and before the late bodies crashed the party. I added his game to the list when I added you and Pepsi, because fairness.)
who's running this thing, anyway?
Both of us, apparently. XD
orz
sorry
author=Ebeth
Thanks for the feedback! I'll make sure to have more prompts and better instructions in the final ver. Also that's really weird that it crashed when trying to save. I'll have to look into that.

I have a suspicion it may have just been an anomalous error on my end.
Alright, I have distributed the Release Lightning achievement to all those listed here that have released at least one something!

If you didn't get one, and feel you should have, let me know!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
@drenrin2120 I've given Opus a try and it seems like a lot of fun, but I'm having a lot of trouble with it. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not, but my first time playing through, I lost the second fight because I didn't know my fighters were dead. They were still in combat position. A few fights later, I beat an enemy guard and lost the game.

And thanks for the feedback on River of Stars. I've deleted the tutorials.
author=pianotm
@drenrin2120 I've given Opus a try and it seems like a lot of fun, but I'm having a lot of trouble with it. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not, but my first time playing through, I lost the second fight because I didn't know my fighters were dead. They were still in combat position. A few fights later, I beat an enemy guard and lost the game.

Hmm... It's not anything you're doing. I'll take a look at the death handler, but I was under the impression it was working fine. Also, for the enemy guard you lost, are you saying you beat him and then the gameover screen played? That would be very odd but if that's what's happening it'll help me pin point the problem.

EDIT: Ah! I see the problem. If you don't revive your KO'd party members before entering a new battle, their sprites don't change to the KO'd pose. Thanks for pointing this out, can't believe I missed it.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=drenrin2120
Also, for the enemy guard you lost, are you saying you beat him and then the gameover screen played? That would be very odd but if that's what's happening it'll help me pin point the problem.

Yes, I enter the tent that the captain came out of, and there's a guard in there. I fought him and won, and then got a game over screen and sent back to the title screen.