IS THE WIIU REALLY THAT BAD?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Whenever Nintendo has shitty third party support (gamecube,n64) their core games generally tend to pick up the slack and end up being more memorable in the long legacy term It's kind of bad for Nintendo but good for the players. I haven't got one yet but it's probably gonna have a well rounded library by the time Zelda's out.

The other systems I really don't care about. Bloodborne and Scalebound are the highlights but they're 2 games isolated between two systems. Just seems like PS3 is winning this gen so far.
I haven't bothered with consoles in awhile. I'm still gaming off the PS2 and GBA, if that tells you anything - just rekindled my love for Burnout 3 of all things.

The latest I've bothered to own was an XB-360 and a Wii. While I'm all for the latest in technology, I also think gaming companies have forgotten the primary point of a console - the games. I had hopes at one point things would change for the better, but at this point I've moved on to tablets, mobile, PC's, and RPG Maker.

Personally, I don't think consoles have much more life in them, especially when they're pushing to try and become nothing more than a PC. At that point, you may as well just invest in a PC. And with Steam and their Steam Link and Steam Machines around the corner, consoles are going to have their work cut out for them, especially as more and more developers swap to PC development.

All that said, though, if I were to choose between the three, I'd go with Nintendo. They may be scraping the bottom of the barrel along with the others these days, but they still are much closer to their roots than what I've seen from MS and Sony. If Nintendo were smart, they'd port their whole entire library to VC and even start translating some games that never made it over (such as the NES versions of FF2 and 3 and the SNES version of Star Ocean). I thought there idea of swapping between tv and handheld was a great idea, but perhaps not as well marketed as it should have been.

Edit: Something I think could be in Nintendo's best interest is to stop trying to compete with the others. Let MS and Sony bury themselves in their own war. Focus on what made Nintendo the number one game system back in the 80s and 90s and work with that.

Triple A and the like aren't support Nintendo? Fine, the hell with them. Focus on the indie developers that have been congregating on Steam. A lot of them have fresh ideas, some of which got the AAA devs to where they are in the first place.

Create an easy to use indie platform, and even work with companies like Enterbrain to allow easy exports for commercial RM projects. Considering that the vast amount of classic rpg lovers are probably either using handheld or mobile, if not emulating the games they grew up with, I'd imagine out of all 3 consoles, Nintendo would be the system of choice for rpg lovers.
I fucking love Burnout 3
author=kentona
I fucking love Burnout 3

Dude Burnout 3: Takedown was the fucking shit. I wish I still had a copy of that game.
The only problem with the WiiU is that everyone looked at it and went "Durr, gonna be lame", and then third party devs became horrified of developing for a "dead system", meaning there are a lot less people willing to develop for it.

...That, and the fact that since it's not as powerful as the PS4 and Xbone, third party devs can't get away with just porting their games to it. They have to actually deliberately create new games for it. And since they're all convinced it's a "dead" system, they don't.

That's the problem with it that I can see.

...It's still the only console of this generation that I care about getting, though. Splatoon? A new Yoshi game? Hyrule Warriors? Count me in (as soon as I land a part-time job and can afford it)
From my experience, the only people who are still trashing the poor Wii U are people who have never gone near one before. That and teenagers who are knee deep in those stupid as shit console wars that some people take way too long to grow out of/get over. Before I had my Wii U, the console just didn't register on my radar much. I didn't dislike it or look down on it, I just never thought about the console very much... that is, until I bought one for Mario Kart 8. Several games later, and I love my little Wii U. As a friend and I were discussing over drinks recently, Nintendo is GREAT for people our age (adults). I feel like we all reach an age where we just don't give two shits about games that boast about epic stories or orgasmic graphics. Most people my age who I talk to agree with me that, first and foremost, a game just needs to be fun! I've had more fun playing Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World and the new Smash Bros. with a pal than I have with probably anything I owned on my PS3. It's because Nintendo just wants to make games that are FUN. There are no ridiculous budgets spent on hiring John Williams to compose the jingle for when you open a chest or getting Tom Hanks and other A list celebrities to voice NPCs 99% of the population won't even interact with. I mean, what's the point in spending a shit load of money on development if you're desperately focused on shine?

I think that a lot of people have come around in the last year, though. There's far less people trashing the Wii U (from what I can see) now than prior to the release of Mario Kart 8. That was the big turning point, followed by the releases of Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros. Then, of course, there were already some decent games out like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D Land. A lot of major gaming sites ran Wii U as "THEconsole to own" in 2014, and 2015 looks promising as well. Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. are healthily being injected with DLC(which is true DLC and being madepost launch), and there are some heavy hitters on the way like Splatoon, Star Fox, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda. It's going to be another great year for Nintendo's little machine and, in terms of what it has to offer right now, it probably has the best line of up games out of the current gen consoles. It certainly helps that Nintendo's focus is strictly on gaming while Microsoft and Sony have their eyes all over the place.

But I was honestly surprised to see this topic, because I just honestly feel like there isn't a lot of crap being spoken about the Wii U lately, that the industry is well aware of the fact that it offers a tremendous gaming experience at the moment while the other two consoles are still trying to establish their line-ups. I don't know who you're talking to that's slamming the Wii U, but I feel like they're in the minority as of late.
I was playing Zen Pinball last week and my friend was playing on the TV and I was playing my own table on the gamepad. That is just awesome.
author=Aegix_Drakan
The only problem with the WiiU is that everyone looked at it and went "Durr, gonna be lame", and then third party devs became horrified of developing for a "dead system", meaning there are a lot less people willing to develop for it.

...That, and the fact that since it's not as powerful as the PS4 and Xbone, third party devs can't get away with just porting their games to it. They have to actually deliberately create new games for it. And since they're all convinced it's a "dead" system, they don't.

This is why I think Nintendo should open up and cater more to the indie crowd. Now's the perfect time, while Sony and MS beat it out of each other to the death. People are clamoring for a return to classic styles, and if the games that get GL'ed on Steam are any indication, the market is definitely there.

How many times do I read how rpg's are no longer turn-based, go back to the roots, etc? Nintendo would be a great platform for RPG Maker games. I don't think we need remakes or remasters of the classics - just keep releasing them via the VC; but seeing as how people still love retro gaming, 2D rpg's, side scrollers and shooters, the indie crowd could really give Nintendo a boost.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=amerk
author=Aegix_Drakan

This is why I think Nintendo should open up and cater more to the indie crowd.

They tried. They were actually very indie-friendly at the launch of the WiiU, but just like the AAA's, no indies want to develop for a dead system. The problem with being a third-party Nintendo developer, even an indie, is that most people who own Nintendo consoles refuse to buy anything not made by Nintendo. Straight up. It's a wasteland for indies even though the barrier to entry is so low.
Hero's Realm U coming 2016
author=kentona

April Fools is over already. It's like my daughter (who's 5). She's been trying to do April Fools jokes since mid March.
author=kentona

If only... ;w;

I definitely enjoy and get quite a bit out of my Wii U, but I also like Nintendo games. It's obviously a very tough sell for someone who doesn't, as the sales figures show. I personally don't think it'd be the end of the world if Nintendo dropped out of the console market and became a third party, but ideally they'd finally make another console that's both "Nintendo Weird" and powerful enough to handle any third party game. But yeaah, neither of those things will happen for probably a long time...
I think the reason that PS4 and Xbox One have such a big focus one being an all-in-one console is because Sony and Microsoft are software companies in addition to games. Outside of their consoles and mercendice, Nintendo is only a video game company. I would really be interested to see what would happen if another video game only company enters the market.
author=Zeuzio
author=kentona
If only... ;w;

From Unity 5:

Nintendo 3DS deployment coming soon

The newsletter has always had a soft spot for Nintendo, so it’s with great pride and joy that we can tell you that Unite Tokyo saw us announce plans to provide Unity deployment to Nintendo 3DS and 3DSXL. We’ll do all we can to have a beta build option ready at some point over the summer.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=kentona
author=Zeuzio
author=kentona
If only... ;w;

From Unity 5:

Nintendo 3DS deployment coming soon

The newsletter has always had a soft spot for Nintendo, so it’s with great pride and joy that we can tell you that Unite Tokyo saw us announce plans to provide Unity deployment to Nintendo 3DS and 3DSXL. We’ll do all we can to have a beta build option ready at some point over the summer.

I am really hyped for this, even if I never get to take advantage of it myself... but the idea that I could port games to 3DS would be very cool.

By the way, it's pretty easy to get access to a WiiU dev kit, if you have some experience, and they have a bunch of software that makes porting from Unity -> WiiU a breeze. I've been qualified to dev for the WiiU for a while, but I never got the kit because I don't have enough free time ;__;
I feel like all 3 of the current gen consoles don't have enough games that I care about.
That being said the only one of the 3 I have is WiiU and I bought that for 3 games Smash Bros, Xenoblade X, and Zelda WiiU.
If I had a PS4 I'd only be interested in Final Fantasy XV and Metal Gear 5
If I had an XBox One I'd only be interested in ... what the hell is on that system?
author=RedMask
I feel like all 3 of the current gen consoles don't have enough games that I care about.
That being said the only one of the 3 I have is WiiU and I bought that for 3 games Smash Bros, Xenoblade X, and Zelda WiiU.
If I had a PS4 I'd only be interested in Final Fantasy XV and Metal Gear 5
If I had an XBox One I'd only be interested in ... what the hell is on that system?

FOOOTBAALLLLLLL!!!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
honestly, i'd consider getting a wii u just to support kentona if there was an HRU... and i don't even have a tv
author=kentona
FOOOTBAALLLLLLL!!!

LOL That was pretty funny.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
Now that the Wii U's E-Shop or whatever they're calling it this update is being given Nintendo DS, GBA, N64 and Wii games, I think Nintendo is actually switching over to a more nostalgia-based sales plan. Combined with the new Cross-Buy feature introduced, and the announcement of Club Nintendo's successor, I think Nintendo is looking to make it even better for gamers as opposed developers.

Also, they're starting to develop for iPhones and Androids. So we might see some Mario or Pokemon games popping up in the App Store within the next two years.

And not super relevant, but after losing money in the Year of Luigi, a chart or something was released that showed Nintendo could keep losing money for over 30 years consecutively before going bankrupt.
Pages: first prev 123 next last