SO, I'M SITTING ON A COMPLETE GAME AND - SERIAL KEY SYSTEMS!?

Pages: 1
We just finished work on one of our commercial games, and all the complicated stuff aside, the one thing we can't find is a serial key system that works.
Or some similar anti-casual-piracy program!

Can anyone shed some knowledge on my ignorant publishing mind?
Well, I'd suggest to be awesome and release it DRM free like Good Old Games do. :) You'd get my business for sure doing it that way.
Haha, sorry.
Too much work and time and profit to lose to just release it for free. If you only knew man!

Not a discussion on free-ness peeps! How'd do you lock this up folks!?
It's a surprisingly hard thing to do apparently.

EDIT: Oh wait! I misunderstood you.
I'm sure you still make profit on DRM free stuff, but casual piracy eats profits alive. Normally maybe, but one project in particular we have is pretty known, so it'll get jacked if it's easy, and it'll get shared.

But DRM free just means no special locking right?
How exactly do you prevent one person buying then just sharing it around?
You don't, apparently.

There are ways to do this - it's been done before - and it is totally within your rights to protect your projects and resources from being stolen by those who did not pay for it. Ignore anyone who says differently - even if they say they're more likely to purchase your game if you don't. Screw them, their money ain't worth the hassle of DMCAing all over the place. Times change and money is now something possible for RM (and other Indie game creation) games. It's about time we got rid of the antiquated idea that paying for (good!) RM games is worth scoffing over. (Bad always comes with the good, unfortunately, but that's no excuse for such stupid thinking. As though your time creating is worth nothing. :/ )

Jealousy (and stupidity) runs deep, unfortunately.

As to the answer, someone else might know but be a bit patient. It is Easter, after all, and people are probably on holiday/spending time with family/doing other stuff. Give it a few days at least. ^.^
I know there's a few people on-site who have done this.
Here, read this http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/3240-how-to-sell-your-game-boot-camp/

You can also look at Armadillo (but you need to know how to program at least)
author=Madurai
Haha, sorry.
Too much work and time and profit to lose to just release it for free. If you only knew man!

So do you know how much profit you lose? Do you have any experience of this? Usually when proficiency due to piracy is discussed, people just speculate wildly.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you sell your game on Steam, my understanding is that they have their own key system. For those of us wanting to go independent, though, or even just to sell the game on multiple websites, this one looks decent:
https://activatar.codeplex.com/

I have no info about how good this is other than it being a top result on google and having a handful of positive comments. So, maybe do a little research before committing to it.

As for the method of actually distributing the keys, I'm not sure what you're planning, but this software makes it apparently fairly simple to create them and for the installer to require them. I would guess that most stores simply want you to provide them a set of 500 keys for them to sell (or whatever number).
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
author=Darkflamewolf
Well, I'd suggest to be awesome and release it DRM free like Good Old Games do. :) You'd get my business for sure doing it that way.

Lota games do it this ways nowadays, to player's delight. There is no need for DRM as your game is either success and pirates find they way around your protection or disaster and no one has need to steal your game.
A clever Approach I've heard about is to distribute malfunctioning version of your product amongst pirates and They got discouraged to download it and If the have fun with their illegal demo, they are likely to be your next costumers.
author=LockeZ
If you sell your game on Steam, my understanding is that they have their own key system. For those of us wanting to go independent, though, or even just to sell the game on multiple websites, this one looks decent:
https://activatar.codeplex.com/

I have no info about how good this is other than it being a top result on google and having a handful of positive comments. So, maybe do a little research before committing to it.

As for the method of actually distributing the keys, I'm not sure what you're planning, but this software makes it apparently fairly simple to create them and for the installer to require them. I would guess that most stores simply want you to provide them a set of 500 keys for them to sell (or whatever number).

Ahhh, thank you much!
Now I can be of some help on the publishing side -- BMT Micro!
http://www.bmtmicro.com/BMTCatalog/

They'll host games, handle serial key delivery AND creation as long as you provide them with the source. They swipe a percentage of that profit, but the automatic process is worth it in my eyes.
Glad you found a way!
Pages: 1