SO... IGMC 2015

Good job everyone :3
I hope Corinne Cross’s Dead and Breakfast will get the grand price.
It's such a nice game. <3

Damn, I'm not even in the top ten ;_____;
Al the work for nothing. *sigh*
If it makes you feel better I really enjoyed Ink Travelers. It made it into the top 20. Considering how many great entries there were that is still a huge accomplishment.
Whoa! Okay, that really makes me feel better! °/////°

Would be cool to get the top 20 too, someday. °^°
I'm sure I'm not the only out out there, who is curious about it. :D

Oh and Kudos Judges! That must have been a hell lot of work to test
all these games. D:
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=Artie
author=nhubi
I replayed and avoided the bug, actually I should ask what terminology do we use for a bug that only happens under certain situations?
In the QA sphere if you encounter a major bug you test to see if it's Reproducible. Sometimes you put a % like a 100% if the bug was always encountered in your playtests or 50% if only encountered in half of them. You can also say Always or Sometimes or Random.

I also fortunately didn't encounter the bug although at least one other judge mentioned the game was buggy for them. Still it scored high enough to keep it in the running.

Thanks for the terminology, oh and yes I agree it should have scored well, I was intrigued enough to go back and replay it because I did want to find out what happened.
Yeah, Ink Travellers was in my original set and I'm happy it managed to make it so far into the competition. It was a pretty solid game. ^.^
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I would be interested in seeing the top 20 as well.

Also, my review for Salim can be found here.
author=Lucy_Fox
Damn, I'm not even in the top ten ;_____;
Al the work for nothing. *sigh*

Being "even" in the top ten is a really, really impressive feat. xD
I too feel a little down for having Resonate flop (few plays / downloads except from a fistful of my beautiful fellow rmners <3 <3 <3 + that horrible bug in the second dungeon) BUT guess what! I made a game! A complete one. And I learnt so much from it. Now I am fully confident I can easily make a game with handdrawn backgrounds! I am also more confident with my spriting abilities and my abilities to pursue a game through to the end. Completing a game still seems like a colossal feat as in it's really hard, but now I know I can do it.

Still, having my "first game" completed felt much, much less satisfying than it should. Perhaps I should take this as an incentive to do something to satisfy myself!
CashmereCat
I wouldn't consider Resonate a flop, it was actually quite a good game. It doesn't matter how popular it is, just how good it is, and it's pretty good. Although that bug in the second dungeon was very X_X for your contest chances. But that actually gives you an excuse not to be in the Top 10, to be honest. Without that bug you probably would have had a greater chance.

Even still, I don't think you would have got bad scores. You're probably going to get good scores, to be fair. It's a very cute game.
CashmereCat
author=Sated
It doesn't matter how popular it is, just how good it is.
That's not even remotely true.

Sated, it's a personal opinion, there's no objectivity I'm trying to state here.

Edit: In my personal experience I don't place much value in a download count and I think people would have peace of mind if they didn't place much value in it either. If anything, the quality of the feedback matters more to me than a mere download count of popularity. Part of me would rather have 3 reviews and 50 downloads than 0 reviews and 500 downloads. Popularity does not necessitate quality of feedback, but even still if you're talking about things that "matter" that's a very vague statement not rooted in any grounded objectivity. You should have asked me to define what "matter" meant. Whether it meant "matter" in the grand scope of the universe (very little), or whether it "matters" in the personal scope of JosephSeraph's emotional life (currently it does, although I'm advising that it shouldn't), or whether it "matters" in the sense that it should affect your general wellbeing and happiness (to which I say it definitely shouldn't) matters greatly.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Sated

Really? I don't know about you, but I'd rather make a game that has a great deal of quality, but only a few people play, then one that's terrible but world-wide popular.

I've read your review of Pom Gets Wifi. You didn't give it a bunch of stars for popularity. I think that alone says enough.
author= JosephSeraph
Being "even" in the top ten is a really, really impressive feat. xD

I just made my game as if it would win the grand prize! (*•̀ᴗ•́*)و ̑̑
With this mindset it was easier to finish xD (But honestly... I didn't expect to come that far. Top 20 is great too *-* )

author=JosephSeraph
I too feel a little down for having Resonate flop

I liked the game. It had its little problems but every game have them :D
And you have the artstyle plus. :D

author=CashmereCat
Part of me would rather have 3 reviews and 50 downloads than 0 reviews and 500 downloads.

I'd like to have my 388 Downloads + 388 Reviews! (ᗒᗊᗕ)
Okay, just joking. It's great to have reviews, but I know that not many people want to sit down and write one.... But many downloads also means that many people are interested in the game.
And when I think about that there are nearly 400 people out there who maybe played my game... that makes me very happy. :3

author=Sated

When it came to the judging, it mattered about how good the games were. Sure, there were some that were a touch buggy, but you can't expect perfection in a 1-month indie-game creation contest. Every game had some bad points - I've never played a game that didn't - but the overall good points make up for a lot when it comes down to it.

The judges really didn't pay any attention to what was going on in the forums and topics in relation to the games (I know for fact that I didn't bother to check who made what when it came to games and stayed away from any chatter about any game. I found out about Jo's bug issue before I played his game, for example, but I had no idea which was his until after I'd played it, even despite his unique style. XD Then it twigged. I know the rest of the judges tried their hardest to do the same - avoiding any chatter where at all possible) - that's why there's a large disconnect between the popular games and top ten list. Popularity will only win you popularity contests, but if you want the real prizes you aim for good content. ^.^)b
author=unity
Really? I don't know about you, but I'd rather make a game that has a great deal of quality, but only a few people play, then one that's terrible but world-wide popular.

If you want to you can make a game and dub it the best game ever made and be the only person who played it. Pretty easy goal to achieve. A lot of games were good because they probably benefited from some kind of earlier success. If Final Fantasy on the NES flopped would we have gotten Chrono Trigger?
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Darken
author=unity
If you want to you can make a game and dub it the best game ever made and be the only person who played it. Pretty easy goal to achieve. A lot of games were good because they probably benefited from some kind of earlier success. If Final Fantasy on the NES flopped would we have gotten Chrono Trigger?

True. But I'm talking about personal success, not commercial success. Comparing a game you make as a hobby to Square's financial success is kind of missing the point here.

If anyone wants to judge themselves by popularity, then that's fine, but I don't recommend it. Personally, I'm making things that appeal to me, and my tastes don't often overlap with what gets popular.
author=unity
True. But I'm talking about personal success, not commercial success. Comparing a game you make as a hobby to Square's financial success is kind of missing the point here.

I disagree, even after a game is finished there's a potential ongoing conversation that can be made about what you did wrong/right. There are also opportunities and potential impacts that are made after a game is completed. It is very beneficial even personally to know that you have a wider range of understanding on how your game was received. This applies both to the hobbyist and the commercial.

If your goal is to make a good game, then you need feedback right? I think no matter how thoughtful the 5 people that played your game are, a high number of plays is a good feedback tool because you're likely to get more comments more ideas on what you want to develop more. To say you don't want that is kind of idk. It's just not that black and white where there are two meters that say POPULARITY and QUALITY because actually they both depend on each other a bit and one is objective and the other is subjective so.
Eh, tbh I am more in the quality feedback over quantity camp! Once a thing you've made has been out for awhile, the feedback starts to have patterns: people come across the same problems, get stuck in similar parts, etc. If we're talking "how 2 fix ur game", you only need a few really solid reviews, and not even in the offical submitted starred review sense!

And when it comes to the "I really loved and connected with this thing you made", you only need one to be buried in warm, fuzzy feelings of "I DID IT". That is a success to me! Having more people say nice things is just gravy.

Basically eh popularity, aaaaah to super nice people. <3

Tl;dr: The definition of wicked success is subjective, And I am a cheap date when it comes to feeling successful
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
You can name your Final Fantasy ripoff Five Nights at Pew Dew Pie to get lotsa downloads (Just check out jolt and its army of terrible clones of a terrible game, which i've never plaid, flooding its main)...

And nothing feels as good as being appreciated by people you like/respect. So quality, quantity can always come over time.
I agree popularity isn't as important as making a good game and Resonate is still a nice game (in a way that it makes me feel nice and reminds me of interesting things about myself, as such I consider it one of those nice things I made and keep on a precious little box) but still, I make my living as an artist. xD
My income comes from game dev comissions, and I also want to get started into the commercial gamedev field. For such a thing, popularity is important. I need people to know I exist in order to keep having clients, and having people be interested in my games when it's out for sale or having patrons on patreon etc xD

I love what I do and I do it with passion, but I also depend on it to make my living. So popularity is important x3
Too bad I don't do the kinda stuff that gets popular. But still, calling it a flop is horribly irresponsible of my part. There were quite a few people that enjoyed resonate and connected (resonated) with it and that made me feel great. And it's not like I want 999999999999999 downloads. XD
So whatever, I'll just keep doing things, given time things will get better for me and hopefully I'll not starve to death before so XDD

By the way, I'm putting Resonate on Steam Greelight as a freeware game! (free to play?)
Gonna put it today... I think