SO... IGMC 2015

author=Liberty
author=kentona
I won't even pretend to delude myself into participating this year. People who are in it all have talent, motivation, drive, and interesting game ideas.
Dude. HR2. Doooo iiiiiit! Monies.

It can be demoooooo~

*Stop trying to make HR2 happen! It's not going to happen!*
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Ratty524
author=Housekeeping
author=slash
Wait, did we get feedback on our entries? I didn't know that >_>
I got my feedback from archeia over at RMW. She made a few posts asking people who didn't have feedback to PM her. You might want to try contacting her if you still haven't heard anything.
Interesting, I don't know if I should bother, though, since Densetsu no Kusoge didn't even make it past the initial screening, according to a PM by Liberty.

Oh boy, that game certainly lived up to its name. I still remember the pain XD
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I was out of game deving at the time of the original IGMC, and I wouldn't mind giving it an attempt. I haven't exactly had the best luck when it comes to games made in a short time frame (ok, ok, games made in any time frame) but I've got a lot of ideas for this year (I want to win SOMETHING this year. Misao, IGMC, some contest in the future, idk. I'm going to win something.)
I might do it this year. I won't be entering with the intention of winning though, just more exposure for little 'ol me. =) But $10,000 is something like 120 grand in my currency...
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I still have all the scores on my old harddrive if y'all want scores for either category. I could even do a brief replay of requested non-RPGs to jog my memory. I think we lost some of the original requests due to the usual e-mail system issues. It might take me a bit of time to get back to you.

With that said, I probably won't be involved in either end of IGMC this year. Things went really south for me health-wise during that whole period last year (kind of a bad time for it to happen) and I'm still taking it easy to an extent, doing mostly bite-sized stuff. But this year is going to be super exciting and we have quite a few people ready to run the extravaganza - way more people involved than last year, which should make everything much smoother.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Luchino
I might do it this year. I won't be entering with the intention of winning though, just more exposure for little 'ol me. =) But $10,000 is something like 120 grand in my currency...

Good attitude to take. I've read a few comments about people going into the contest with the sole intent of winning. With that mentality, they put most of their life on hold while slaving over their games. To the point where they started skipping meals and ignoring RL responsibilities. When the results come around and they learned that they didn't even place, let alone win, only bitter memories remain, and they even get discouraged from continuing development, both current and new.

I would definitely avoid setting unrealistic standards. Just make the game you want to make and have fun with it. The quality will shine through on its own.
Yes, I'm well aware of those kind of comments and the mentality. They fell foul of the dreaded "Universal Law of Desire" i.o.w, want something/obsess over it too much and you'll never get it.

But yes. I don't intend to walk down that path. I love gam mak, it is true, but I won't put my life on hold for a mere contest.
I don't think it's a bad mentality. If you want your game to win, you will give it all. If you can, why not? They have fun competing this way, let them (of course, this might steal a place for your 'casual' game ^^).

However, I'm pretty sure quite a lot some people cheat. I wonder why this issue isn't mentioned in most posts...

Me, I dunno. I don't think I'm gonna participate this year. I have an idea but not so much time/motivation to pull it off (even though it isn't that complex... I hope).
well well while I agree with luchino, i also think that damn, $10,000 would pay all my family's debt.

but I shan't think of that XD

i'm just in for the ride and the fun.
author=AkumuGames
I don't think it's a bad mentality. If you want your game to win, you will give it all. If you can, why not? They have fun competing this way, let them (of course, this might steal a place for your 'casual' game ^^).

However, I'm pretty sure quite a lot some people cheat. I wonder why this issue isn't mentioned in most posts...

Me, I dunno. I don't think I'm gonna participate this year. I have an idea but not so much time/motivation to pull it off (even though it isn't that complex... I hope).

Cheat, how? Like bribing judges? Or just not following the rules?
I can assure you the judges kept away from everyone and all games. That said, the judge team kept an eye out for anyone trying to slip something past but there wasn't anything I'd call cheating going on. I mean, how would you? We checked dates that games were made and that was really the only way to cheat, so...
First hit on google for "spoof file creation metadata". You'd still need the opportunity to abuse this beyond the time inbetween when IGMC was announced and started though for this 'cheat' to be relevant.
I'm not talking about bribes, too risky and isn't worth it.

author=GreatRedSpirit
First hit on google for "spoof file creation metadata". You'd still need the opportunity to abuse this beyond the time inbetween when IGMC was announced and started though for this 'cheat' to be relevant.

Yee, or to be even safer you could just open the previous started project and copy event by event into the new one (it can be tedious but you will have an entire month to do that xD)...
The real cheat is kentona didn't make Hero's Realm 2 for the contest cheating us of gaming euphoria
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Abumu the ironic thing is you're disagreeing about how to win the IGMC with the guy that won the IGMC. Maybe the proof's in the pudding?
author=CashmereCat
Abumu the ironic thing is you're disagreeing about how to win the IGMC with the guy that won the IGMC. Maybe the proof's in the pudding?
LOL, I didn't know xD! Congrats there.

But I still disagree :$ People are different. What might work for someone might not for you.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Oh, I wasn't talking about myself, but yeah, I wasn't saying you're necessarily wrong (though I doubt that any of the placers cheated), but I just found it ironic :)
author=CashmereCat
Oh, I wasn't talking about myself, but yeah, I wasn't saying you're necessarily wrong (though I doubt that any of the placers cheated), but I just found it ironic :)

oh, one of the appreciators of the ironies of life...~
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
It's fine that you don't agree, Akumu, but be aware that there's a really thin line between being dedicated to a game's development and being obsessed with it. If you haven't yet, take a look at some of the comments on the contest page after the winners were announced. It's pretty easy to tell who fell into the obsession territory.

Being competitive is fine. Wanting to win is fine. If you're proud of the work you've done, great! But, and this'll probably seem really hypocritical coming from my mouth, in the likely event that a person doesn't place, they shouldn't feel betrayed by their own expectations that were built up over the course of development. Otherwise, perspectives on what is a good game, a bad game, and what deserves to win starts getting warped, and they begin to look at game making as a sham, a worthless effort, which is the exact opposite feelings that contests like these should invoke.

Personally, though, I hate the idea of making a work of art for the sole purpose of winning contests. It's like using games as a means to an end. It reminds me of those martial arts movies where a person learns how to fight for the sole purpose of getting revenge on someone else. Just my two cents.