SO... IGMC 2015

nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
I don't think it'll get quite that high, the total prize pool is at 34K now, but only a little over a third of that (38%) goes to the grand prize. I'd say it'll probably get to 25K, and that's not a small amount in anyone's book. I think you're right that they'll probably get 1,000+ entrants, given last year it wasn't as well known as it is now.
Hmm, I have an abandoned design document from 2 years ago that fits the "twist" (why isn't it just called a "theme"?), but I'm not sure if working from it would violate the "Start on July 7th" rule. Oh well, if it does, I suppose I could just work on it anyways. I've been having a hard tome deciding what to start working on anyways.
Seems like more veterans will be in the competition because of all the other engines available.

But at the same time, I think the number of newbie RPG Maker entries would be less, because RPG Maker was a lot cheaper in the previous IGMC.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
There will be lot of Stencyl games. And I have to admit, that results of work in the engine can be rather impressive (Lakeview Cabin is probly the most well-known one).
I agree that there will be lesser number of rookies, however I see the reason behind it elsewhere. Majority of potential newbies have their copies since the last year. So they are slightly advanced newbies like me. The biggest obstacle for them can be timing.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Nivlacart
Seems like more veterans will be in the competition because of all the other engines available.

But at the same time, I think the number of newbie RPG Maker entries would be less, because RPG Maker was a lot cheaper in the previous IGMC.

At the same time, many veteran RPG maker devs are bowing out this time due to other commitments, or just not being very impressed with the last one. However, there are probably more people with the RPG Maker engine than ever (well, obviously), because people who bought it last year still have it this year. They may have even practiced til now.

That said, this IGMC is way less publicized than last year, and it seems like it's a little less hyped too.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Cap_H
There will be lot of Stencyl games. And I have to admit, that results of work in the engine can be rather impressive (Lakeview Cabin is probly the most well-known one).
I agree that there will be lesser number of rookies, however I see the reason behind it elsewhere. Majority of potential newbies have their copies since the last year. So they are slightly advanced newbies like me. The biggest obstacle for them can be timing.

Are you kidding?
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I've always wanted to play a Mortal Kombat RPG.
What's the problem with Mortal Fucking Combat?
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Well depending in how strict the judges want to be with rules 8 & 9, being able to be played by teenagers (profanity), and no plagiarism (fan game using copyrighted name) it may run into trouble. I imagine it won't have any issues in those areas but it could.

Edit: Actually looking at the description, I think it may run afoul of rule 8, not for swearing but for adult content, unless dong has a different meaning and they're talking about Vietnamese currency.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA browsing through some of the crazy entries are one of the activities in IGMC I enjoy the most.

How well do you think a Simulation RPG game would do within the 1 hour time limit...?
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Nivlacart
How well do you think a Simulation RPG game would do within the 1 hour time limit...?

I wouldn't call it a "limit" per se. It's just that within that time, you really need to impress whoever is judging your game, and this can apply to just about any type of game.
It's already been asked, but fangames are definitely out. You gotta own permission to create what you're making and unless you have permission from the holders of the copyright (and can prove it), your fangame will be disqualified.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I hoped for a Mortar Combat fangame and now my hopes are in vain.
So if you got the humble bundle with the fantasy or sci-fi pack DLC whoever put it together put a regular colon in the base folder name which is an illegal character in Windows. You can rename the folder to something else in the archive to successfully extract it (or at least WinRAR can, I assume 7-zip can as well).
Grand prize is over $18,000 now. And I still don't have a half-decent idea ( I had one or two, but I sort of just left it at that ). My current idea was actually inspired by one of the name's that Kenton gave this month's most recent stats ( Instat Out but I wont call the game that ). I think its pretty original atm, but pulling it off is another thing...

Our generic hero is having a bad day. He got slapped by the cute mage girl, failed to pull out the legendary sword of legend and lost a fortune because of local priests scamming him out of money because his ‘level was too high’.
He goes to the local tavern, has a pint or two too much to drink, and ends up having a very strange dream.

What if you could literally go into the head of your hero and take an internal journey to make him grow from the inside out? Determine how to grow his strengths and battle abilities by fighting off his common foes: The dreaded clichés! Fight off his common fears like Paranoia and Immaturity!

Supposed to be a parody of every RPG genre imaginable. XD

CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
@Luchino:
Is it in any way inspired by the movie Inside Out? If so, cool! If not... cool! You know, the idea of having Paranoia and Immaturity inside your head, and taking an internal journey? That seems like a great idea for a game.

My entry is a bla bla bla bla game bla bla uses arrow keys to move and and space bar to interact.

But in all seriousness, I'm finding it hard to solidify my game, because it has such lofty ambitions. I don't think my scope is too high, it's just that the type of game is pretty unconventional. I won't spoil anything from there, obviously. I'm also going to post under a pseudonym, because I know many judges quite intimately, and I don't want that to create bias, either positive or negative or anything, on the submission. I'd rather just post it anonymously.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=nhubi
Edit: Actually looking at the description, I think it may run afoul of rule 8, not for swearing but for adult content, unless dong has a different meaning and they're talking about Vietnamese currency.

With a title like that, could they really be talking about Vietnamese currency?

As for my entry, it's a simple concept. Kid's in a field playing baseball, accidentally bust a window, go to apologize, get abducted by aliens, have to escape. It's going to rely heavily on comedy and the villain's ineptitude.
@Cash: Yeah, it is inspired partly from that. XD
Wow, I can't believe I missed the start of this. I figure there'd be more hype before I noticed the tiny link on the front page.

Soooo... little over a week lost. Should I try?
If you don't you can always join this one instead: http://rpgmaker.net/events/goldenage/