[RMVX ACE] NEW TO RPG MAKER, HELP ME DO STUFF

Pages: first prev 12 last
I thought of using HP, MP, and TP. Im not sure how TP works exactly but I like the idea of a regenerating resource. I wanted MP to regenerate so I may have to use TP instead and call it MP. (Derp, there's my solution. Why didn't I think of that)

For instance my black mage might have 30/100 MP at the start of each battle, you could use it up right away, or wait until you have more, in order to cast a more expensive spell.

In a standard rpg I might choose to never use MP against normals while just spamming spells against bosses, I don't think I want that. Magic should be relevant all the time.

Meanwhile I'd rename MP to GP (gunpowder) and use it for standard attacks. My original idea was that every time you use a normal attack it costs 1 bullet and bullets would be a finite resource that is not replenished at inns or save points, can only be acquired as loot or by purchasing it. So, an item. The GP idea is merely another way of doing bullets. I wanted for each character would have their own bullet supply, which is possible through GP but not possible if bullet were an item.

What I want is for the in-battle sprite to change to show that I'm damaging the enemy or making it angrier. For example an egg that begins to crack more and more as you keep hitting it. (And maybe then the egg is replaced with a dinosaur at 50% HP, and I can set this enemy to never attack until it has 50% or less HP) Not saying my game will have dinosaurs, the dinosaur egg is an example to show what I mean.

But I guess if that isn't possible its not a big deal, I only needed it for a certain boss and could make do without.
author=zeello
I thought of using HP, MP, and TP. Im not sure how TP works exactly but I like the idea of a regenerating resource. I wanted MP to regenerate so I may have to use TP instead and call it MP. (Derp, there's my solution. Why didn't I think of that)

For instance my black mage might have 30/100 MP at the start of each battle, you could use it up right away, or wait until you have more, in order to cast a more expensive spell.

In a standard rpg I might choose to never use MP against normals while just spamming spells against bosses, I don't think I want that. Magic should be relevant all the time.

Meanwhile I'd rename MP to GP (gunpowder) and use it for standard attacks. My original idea was that every time you use a normal attack it costs 1 bullet and bullets would be a finite resource that is not replenished at inns or save points, can only be acquired as loot or by purchasing it. So, an item. The GP idea is merely another way of doing bullets. I wanted for each character would have their own bullet supply, which is possible through GP but not possible if bullet were an item.

What I want is for the in-battle sprite to change to show that I'm damaging the enemy or making it angrier. For example an egg that begins to crack more and more as you keep hitting it. (And maybe then the egg is replaced with a dinosaur at 50% HP, and I can set this enemy to never attack until it has 50% or less HP) Not saying my game will have dinosaurs, the dinosaur egg is an example to show what I mean.

But I guess if that isn't possible its not a big deal, I only needed it for a certain boss and could make do without.

IIRC the only problem with TP is that the maximum amount possible is 100 without using scripts, but don't worry, you can change how you gain TP (So you don't gain TP for attacking and defending)

About the egg, like I said, just use the enemy transform command, for example, create two monsters, the egg without attacks and the dinosaur, when the egg reaches 50% HP just use the command to change it to a dinosaur, and even make it regain his life if you want
author=El_WaKa
author=zeello

IIRC the only problem with TP is that the maximum amount possible is 100 without using scripts, but don't worry, you can change how you gain TP (So you don't gain TP for attacking and defending)

About the egg, like I said, just use the enemy transform command, for example, create two monsters, the egg without attacks and the dinosaur, when the egg reaches 50% HP just use the command to change it to a dinosaur, and even make it regain his life if you want

You know what's even better? Give every form of your enemy other than the last one the "Immortal" state (either use a script or a battle event to stick it on), which means it won't die if its health reaches 0. Make a battle event that checks every round if it's at 0% health, at which point it transforms. This way lets you ensure you can rotate through the forms without getting it killed via excessive damage and also protects it from being locked into a form via status ailments (enemies need to spend one of their turns for manual transforming).
Okay I just bought the full version of VX Ace from Steam, downloaded it, and started it up and... damn. I think I will need to buy grid paper or something. :/

Maybe I should tinker around in my Ring of Udrai based game in the meantime and get a feel for the full version features, and see if I can get my combat system idea working.

edit: I just realized something, in the tutorial he always tells you what size to make the maps, but now I'm forced to decide. I should practice cutting/pasting moving pieces of the map so I never get stuck with the wrong map size.

Maybe the next version of RPG Maker should make map sizes infinite and simply have you pare down the map size once you finish designing the whole area.

edit: Yea, I can't figure out how to cut and paste pieces of the map. Right clicking and dragging an area simply causes you to paint that area over the rest of the map, there's no way to pick up the selection and move it elsewhere.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Try shift mapping. That helps. Hold shift and right click and it will copy the tile exactly (make sure you hold onto the shift). Check out Libby's tutorial on shift mapping here.
Thanks. I am still buying grid paper though, the more I think about it the more it seems like it would be a big help. Or I hope.
EDIT: Okay, holding shift and right clicking does copy the area. But there's no way to cut the area or pick up and move it. This may be a problem.

Anyway I realized something. Geometry is probably the most important part. For example I could go so far as to attempt to draw the entire game using the same 2 or 3 tiles. I don't have to worry about visually distinguishing the areas until later. For example I can draw a rectangle made of stone and call it a tank or a locomotive, and not add the correct graphics until later. In the meantime I'm still able to add all the puzzles, cutscenes, enemies, and other bells and whistles.

author=kory_toombs
If you want portraits in battle try Yanfly battle system.
Is this the one?
https://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/battle-scripts/ace-battle-engine/
It's kind of odd that the health bars and stuff cover part of their faces, but I guess that can be taken into account when creating the images. (i.e. leaving a blank space below each character's portrait)

Edit: Oh my god, I actually figured out how to install the script all by myself. Now that was a miracle.
I might want to change some things about it though. I don't see the point of the icons on the top left of character, the one showing what action they're about to take. There's probably a way to remove that.
I do like having their names displayed though, so I guess I can leave that.
Remember to try to make a simple game first, to familiarize with the program This article can help you with that

author=El_WaKa
Remember to try to make a simple game first, to familiarize with the program This article can help you with that
Thanks. But I already followed the Ring of Udrai tutorial from start to finish, so I think I've already got past the "make a small RPG first" step.

My Ring of Udrai ripoff is called PDF The Game. In fact I'm still tinkering around in it, just to try out a few things like the battle script I just downloaded.
You don't need to make a small game to familiarize yourself with the engine - make a side project where you strap in all kinds of scripts, design ideas, maps etc. you want to experiment with without rhyme or reason. This lets you get comfortable with functions and how to use them properly without having to think of how to fit them into your game (and to see which ones would work better)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Aw, hell, my first RPG Maker game, I literally started with the premise "I want to learn how to use this, so I'm going to make a huge-ass game that has a bunch of different mechanics in it." I still play with it. It's my personal sandbox game where I just program and do what I want.
Pages: first prev 12 last