[RMVX ACE] NEW TO RPG MAKER, HELP ME DO STUFF

Pages: first 12 next last
(THREAD IS OLD. PLEASE SCROLL TO LATEST REPLY)

Original post (edited):
Mind you I am using the trial version, so I apologize for any confusion as to what is/isn't available in this version. (The full version is $70, I'm not ready to plop that kind of money down unless I feel I have a reasonably good shot of making exactly the kind of RPG I want)

Here's what I want to figure out how to do:
- How to make character portraits appear in combat? For the default character there is none.
- How to make it so the option to Fight or Run doesn't constantly appear during combat? The game should always assume I'm fighting.

Well I have more questions, but I guess I should do things a step at a time. I should try to make my first RPG something simple. That said, I am curious whether it's possible to do the following:

- Is it possible to make it so more enemies appear in the middle of battle? In other words, multiple waves of enemies in a single battle. Defeat one wave, and more enemies appear to replace them instead of the battle simply ending.
- Not only that, I had an idea for a game where fallen enemies leave behind visible loot in the middle of battle, and you can grab the loot in the middle of battle.
- Is it possible to make a single big enemy and you can attack different parts of its body, and each body part has its own attacks?
- Visible player sprites during battle? (Like Final Fantasy 1-6) Although this is probably asking too much, so nevermind. First person view should suffice for now and for most of the games I had intended to make. Not only that but, in a way, character portraits are actually better than sprites.
edit: double post wtf? I guess clicking preview and then save causes the thread to get posted, but it doesn't take you to the thread so I didn't know that.

edit: In hindsight I'm not sure what happened. Maybe it did take me to the thread, but it's hard to tell since it just looks like a preview, and one of the buttons below your post says "Save" which makes it sound like you're looking at an unfinished draft and you want to save your work without submitting it.
Please do not multipost. Instead use the edit button under your first post to add/change information. It's against the site rules.

NP, this is just an informal reminder is all. ;p
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
VX Ace supports .ogg, .wma, .mp3, .wav and .mid for music.

- Give the event the graphic you want it to have, and set its "Trigger" to "Event Touch". In the contents, make a Battle Processing event command and select the monster party you want to encounter when the event is touched. Check "Continue even when loser" and then in the branch for "if win" turn on a switch. Make a new page for the event with a blank graphic set to "Below Characters" or "Above Characters" and set its condition to that same switch. This will make the event disappear when the enemy is defeated.

- If you make the event an autostart, it will take over processing from all other events and processing until done (including player movement). Then, when the cutscene is done, set the event's self switch A on, and make a new page with that as the condition so that it will pass processing back to other events and let the player move again.

- By default, Ace doesn't show portraits in battles. You'd have to use a script to add them, but I'm not going to do that for you. Some of the freely-available battle scripts include this functionality.

- Again, this can be done via script.
there are a few build along tutorials that are fantastic, this is one that I found very helpful:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/1249-beginnergeneral-beginners-guide-to-rpg-maker-vx-ace/

basically you just download it, follow the pdf, and it'll really help with everything you need to get a general overview of the game. I love it.
OK I've decided, it's going to be a WW1 RPG. Are there good tilesets for that? Particularly I need tilesets for night because half the time the game will be set at night. Also need sandbags and barbed wire.

Maybe I will create all the environments in the entire game first.
Then add all the cutscenes.
Then add all the battles.
Just seems easier to make the game that way but what do I know.

In the game, the main character's portrait will change over the course of the game. (example, of what I mean: http://maunderingcabal.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/buddha-tezuka.jpg) If that's not possible I could just release the game as multiple games, so its like its own episodal series.

BTW, thanks for the replies and the help!

p.s. I can't believe portraits aren't shown in battle by default. The portraits are THE ONE THING I really liked about rpg maker style of battles as opposed to final fantasy style, so much so that I've started to wonder if RPG maker is actually preferable to having animated sprites, instead of just being convenient.

I once played a game made in rpg maker that had character portraits in battles so I guess I kind of assumed all the games have it by default.

It could be kind of odd if the portraits are smiling during an epic battle, but I guess the solution is to make the portraits not smile.

author=Liberty
Please do not multipost. Instead use the edit button under your first post to add/change information. It's against the site rules.NP, this is just an informal reminder is all. ;p
Didn't I already say? I didn't mean to double post. I was editing the first post and clicked "save" and it didn't load the thread, so I assumed nothing happened and tried submitting the post normally, which resulted in two of the exact same post.

In other words, blame the site for being set up weirdly!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=zello
I was editing the first post and clicked "save" and it didn't load the thread, so I assumed nothing happened...

If that should happen again, try refreshing the screen!
Can SOMEONE delete the double post and the posts talking about it? (besides this one) Seeing as some people can't wrap around the head that it was an accident, and are making a really big deal out of it.

author=Trihan
- Give the event the graphic you want it to have, and set its "Trigger" to "Event Touch". In the contents, make a Battle Processing event command and select the monster party you want to encounter when the event is touched. Check "Continue even when loser" and then in the branch for "if win" turn on a switch. Make a new page for the event with a blank graphic set to "Below Characters" or "Above Characters" and set its condition to that same switch. This will make the event disappear when the enemy is defeated.
You almost lost me, but I figured it out. This actually works. Thanks! How to make the enemy move around though?

Truthfully I don't understand the next part of your post but I'll give it a shot.

p.s. How to make it so the battle music is whatever music was playing in the area you were in? In other words I want to start a battle without any change in the music. Is that possible?

author=spejoku
there are a few build along tutorials that are fantastic, this is one that I found very helpful:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/1249-beginnergeneral-beginners-guide-to-rpg-maker-vx-ace/

basically you just download it, follow the pdf, and it'll really help with everything you need to get a general overview of the game. I love it.

Thanks! I just downloaded it and I have to say it seems really useful. This might be exactly what I need.

p.s. I just tried the game, and I love the fact that it's apparently possible to do rain effects in RPG Maker. That's one of the things I wanted for my game but decided not to ask until later. xD
Trihan
You can set the battle music to "none", that's probably the quickest way to do it.

To make the enemy move around, you can either set their movement type to "custom route" and give them a specific pattern to follow, or "follow hero" or something if you just want them to move towards the player character.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

If you want portraits in battle try Yanfly battle system.
I recommend to start making a very short game (One or two dungeons, a small town, etc.) with the default RTP first, so you can become more familiar with the program before trying to do a big game

Another thing, try to experiment with events first (make a small map and try to: make a cutscene, make enemies on the map, make a simple choices and conditions event, learn to use switch and variables correctly, etc.)

Good luck

Edit: Damn, didn't check the date, this is too old
Trihan
Haha, you are such a necroposter.
The necropost was good timing. I just finished that tutorial PDF, and uploaded my first RPG yesterday. It's basically just a reskin of Ring of Udrai, obviously, and only about 5-10 minutes long, since I followed pretty much everything the tutorial told me to, but it was fun to add my own spin on it. One thing I did was use switches/branches to make the optional quests mandatory and part of the main quest. I also made the final boss a save point and he refuses to fight you unless you are a certain level. The inn is also a save point. It's pretty sweet that I was able to add touches like that completely on my own and it was no thing at all after everything I had learned.

There were a few small things the tutorial told me to do which I couldn't do, because I had the Lite version. Fortunately I think I understood the gist of what was being done.

So anyway, now I am in a position where I could buy the software and start making my "first" serious RPG. There's still a lot I don't know how to do but at least now I am in a position to learn, since I got the basic stuff covered.

It looks like a lot of the things I want to do will require scripts, so I am at the complete and utter mercy of script writers and whatever scripts are available. I also know nothing about how to go shopping for scripts or where it is exactly I can get them.

One small question though, is it possible to remap the controls in my RPG? I dislike that the ESC key is the only way to cancel out of menus, so much so that this may actually affect the way I design games unless there is a way to use a different key.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
When in testing mode, press 'F1'
It sounds dumb, but: Bad games/mechanics/etc. are a better inspiration than good ones. With good things, people tend to copypaste them into their games without understanding why they work. Bad systems, however, make you more concious about why they're bad and what you can do to make it work better. I always plan out stuff based on ideas I like but are terribly executed.
author=LightningLord2
It sounds dumb, but: Bad games/mechanics/etc. are a better inspiration than good ones. With good things, people tend to copypaste them into their games without understanding why they work. Bad systems, however, make you more concious about why they're bad and what you can do to make it work better. I always plan out stuff based on ideas I like but are terribly executed.

I agree totally.
author=zeello
One small question though, is it possible to remap the controls in my RPG? I dislike that the ESC key is the only way to cancel out of menus, so much so that this may actually affect the way I design games unless there is a way to use a different key.

Remember that you can use Z (select) and X (cancel/menu) too (I have played many where they tell you to use Enter and Esc...)
Trihan
If you have unlimited amounts of cash money, I'm often available for script commissions. :P
Ah, but how will I know if the script doesn't exist already? You could just grab one of those and rip me off. :p

Anyway, I thought of some things I might want for my game that might be a problem:
1) the game will use GP (gunpowder) instead of MP, but will change to MP halfway through the game before later reverting once again to GP. So its like two different RPGs in one. Possible?
2) Boss battle where the enemy visibly changes as you deal more damage to it. (e.g. mech bosses with visible damage, or characters which grow angrier in expression)
author=zeello
Ah, but how will I know if the script doesn't exist already? You could just grab one of those and rip me off. :p

Anyway, I thought of some things I might want for my game that might be a problem:
1) the game will use GP (gunpowder) instead of MP, but will change to MP halfway through the game before later reverting once again to GP. So its like two different RPGs in one. Possible?
2) Boss battle where the enemy visibly changes as you deal more damage to it. (e.g. mech bosses with visible damage, or characters which grow angrier in expression)

1) You can use TP and change his name to GP, it could work, but obviously isn't the best way to do it

2) Possible without scripts too, for enemies just use "enemy transform", for characters, well... you need a script to make them appear in the battle...
Pages: first 12 next last