SMASH YOUR CONTROLLERS, SMASH YOUR SHIT, SMASH YOUR KIDS.

Pages: first 12 next last
Video game rage.

We all know about it. Is this something you've ever seen, or is it something that you experience yourself? What's your threshold of getting angry over a video game, and have you ever smashed or destroyed something in a fit of rage? Ever see someone do the same? Not just about smashing shit either, how angry do you get when playing a game that's just getting the better of you?

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I used to when I was kid. I smashed enough controllers that I learned how to fix them, and eventually, stopped smashing them.
unity
You're magical to me.
I have never smashed a controller. The maddest I get is really hard platformer games, and I think the most I did was throw a controller to the ground.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Sometimes I make funny sounds...?

I don't get that angry at games. If I do, I just take a break or bitch about our teammates in private chat with louiscyphre. I dunno, I work with kids that will flip desks and break doors because they got a math problem wrong, so I am 110% disenchanted with that kind of irrational behavior.

I mean... when I traded in my DS Lite for my 3DS, the clerk asked me how long I'd had the DS. I told him seven years (give or take 6mo I guess). He was amazed at how well I'd kept it. I don't wreck my shit. =|
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I put over 300 hours in Dark Souls and 200 hours in Dark Souls 2*. I've learned to suppress my rage with the abundance of patience** I've developed.

Though even before then, I've never smashed or thrown controllers. Breaking things just felt so irresponsible, especially since I'd have to pay for new ones, so I had to find alternatives to vent my rage. If a level annoyed me in an FPS, I'd usually spend time unloading all my clips into a random soldier's body. In story-driven RPGs, I'd dig into a tough boss's backstory and verbally humiliate them.

I think the most recent case of me getting close to a boiling point was when I was playing the original Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die Mode and I was fighting Nightmare (final form). I swore to get revenge by not only beating him, but destroying him. Just eking out a victory didn't feel good enough to me. I wanted to S rank that mission, as I felt that was the ultimate way of getting revenge. It took about a month, but finally doing it gave me the most satisfied feeling I've ever had playing that game.

I see people smashing their game disks, controllers, or even consoles when they rage, and it really bothers me. The console didn't piss you off. The game disk didn't piss you off. The game did. Break the game. Not the game disk.

* That doesn't make me good. It just makes me patient. Trust me. I don't think I'm very good at Souls games.

** Or maybe I'm just emotionally dead now. I can't tell.
author=Craze
Sometimes I make funny sounds...?

I don't get that angry at games. If I do, I just take a break or bitch about our teammates in private chat with louiscyphre. I dunno, I work with kids that will flip desks and break doors because they got a math problem wrong, so I am 110% disenchanted with that kind of irrational behavior.

I mean... when I traded in my DS Lite for my 3DS, the clerk asked me how long I'd had the DS. I told him seven years (give or take 6mo I guess). He was amazed at how well I'd kept it. I don't wreck my shit. =|

^This. Funny sounds of frustration but I've either never played a game that was so frustrating it would make me ruin my own shit or just have a good control when it comes to my temper. Never been one to indulge in tantrums.
author=pianotm
I used to when I was kid. I smashed enough controllers that I learned how to fix them, and eventually, stopped smashing them.

This, although I haven't 100% percent stopped breaking stuff. I'm like 92% of the way there or... something. I have some pretty bad anger problems as anyone who's seen my meltdowns in the forums or What are you Thinking About? topic would know.

The thing is, I don't play games that make me angry anymore because I know better. That's why I stopped playing League shortly after I pretty well ripped a 90$ Razer headset in half. It's at that point I realized I should grow up and stop doing shit like that. Games sometimes unexpectedly get the better of me even now, but I know to stop myself before I put a dent in my wallet. Having to pay for childishness yourself helps you deal with it, especially when you're living off of nothing but saved money and don't have a job.

I can recall breaking lots of controllers as a kid, but as an adult certain things do stick out to me. I've broken a 50$ Steelseries mouse over fucking 3D Modelling, but that was a very stressful time in my life right when I first moved to Toronto and started school. I broke a pair of ~120$ Steelseries headphones passing out drunk (and smashing them on the floor when I fell down onto my bed), which definitely helped me fix my drinking problem. The one that sticks out the most is when I got pissed at the Spelunky remake and embedded a pair of scissors into one of those wooden wall poster things (by throwing them like a fucking throwing knife)... Right after tearing a record book in half. Yeah, not my best moment.

I've been on a real good streak as of late though. The last possession of mine that got broken was an accident, and I managed to fix it!
I do get angry when I lose and/or get stuck in a game, but I never ended up smashing a controller, essentially because it's not convenient for me to destroy my controllers. Or worse, my PC... XD

I've been recently got angry at some annoying parts of the Befuddle Quest series. :P
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
One thing I'll say: I've never broken a Nintendo controller. Seriously, Nintendo should have been tank builders...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I've never destroyed any video game equipment out of rage, though when I was a kid I destroyed one or two controllers by swinging them like nunchucks.

I get irritated at games when they pull cheap bullshit, like Fire Emblem 6 having enemies spawn right in the middle of my army mid-battle with no warning, and get a turn instantly after spawning before my turn, and one-shot my healer who was completely protected to the fullest extent that was theoretically possible without having previously played the stage and died once to that bullshit enemy spawn and memorized it. That happened yesterday! I put the controller down and growled angrily and my whole body got clenchy, like tight fist and toes curling and everything, and I quit playing that stupid-ass bullshit game for the rest of the day. Other than that sort of thing, the only time I get really upset is when bugs or crashes cause me to lose my progress or fail.

The thing is, though, I'm pretty much perpetually in a state of irritation regardless of my situation. Does that count? "Annoyed" is kind of just, uh, my personality summed up in one word. Maybe that's why I never have outbursts? I'm like Bruce Banner. "That's my secret. I'm always annoyed."
To answer this post; no, I've never actually broken anything and I don't usually suffer fits of rage.

I've gotten angry and frustrated at times, namely competitive fighting games or an unusually difficult stretch of a singleplayer game, but I've never Hulked out and broken something. I don't mind getting angry or frustrated though, as emotions aren't bad or anything, but as far as exhibiting them I just calm myself and continue playing my game. That rarely even happens though!

I've seen other people pretty bad though; there was a guy in my division who would repeatedly go into comical cursing tirades at losing in single player games. Multiplayer games he was fine, but if he was playing by himself, he'd have freakouts and shit. It was sort of amusing.
I once threw a 360 controller out the window of my 12th floor apartment into a parking lot across the street. It was foolish. I missed multiple impact guards in a row in Soul Calibur due to internet lag and needed to take it out on something. Technology usually explodes in spectacular fashion... unfortunately the 360 controller is pretty lame. The plastic is too bendy so it doesn't explode other than the rumblers.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I've never been raged by a loose in any game. I'm more of annoyed as it often stops being fun at that point. I don't rage-quit. I slowly turn it off and visit facebook in search of some social activities.
author=Ilan14
I've been recently got angry at some annoying parts of the Befuddle Quest series. :P

I quit Hexatona's duel in the sixth one two times. I wasn't enraged, tho. It was taking too long, nothing else.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I come from a family of ragequitters so it should come as no surprise that I've picked up some bad habits. If I'm angry at something, you'll know it. I'm trying not to be as crazy when I get pissed nowadays (medication helps), but sometimes you just have to break shit.

The last time I raged at a game was playing Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland on an emulator. It was while I was running through the Meta Knightmare mode and I started making a lot of stupid mistakes. My right hand paid the price when I used my left to punch the shit out of it.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
The only game that truly made me mad was EpicMafia. I screwed up my keyboard by grabbing at the keys out of pure frustration. This was because I was playing in an unhealthy pattern - every single day for about 4+ hours each (more if I'm honest), and it's a very psychological game so when you've played an hour-long game and someone bullies their way into getting a person to vote you, it can bring about extreme emotions of displeasure and even hurt. Especially sometimes if you know the person that you're playing against. It's probably rawest game I've ever played, and I have actually been emotionally hurt by people during it. It's not like it's more harsh than forum mafia, or anything, it's just that I played way more games and I made friends and had to lie to them simultaneously. Screws around with your brain a little bit. In general, I stopped playing it because my mum noticed I started getting angry overall in real life. So I quit it for them. Now I only play it casually every month or so, and even then I try to just have fun with it instead of taking it so seriously.

Ouch, that period of my life hurts to recollect, just about as much as my Minecraft stint.
I used to throw tantrums, like throwing my controller on the ground and quickly turning off the power button or hit the reset button when I was a little kid, you know - kid stuff - especially during the earlier days of playing the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES, and it also, I guess, kind of frustrated me when my dad at the time was a whole better at the game than I was.

But I was a stupid kid back then. And now I know that the best thing to do when you get totally frustrated like that is to find something really, really soft to hit that’s around you, like a punching bag or a stuffed animal or something, put on some boxing gloves, listen to some classical music, and then beat the ever loving shit of it.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
@Addit That sounds like a very graceful and poetic way to let out your anger. I think I need to buy a teddy bear now.
I never smashed a controller but the most I did was bang the table with my fists and punch the wooden wall. It only happened once and I THINK it was a Megaman game, it was Laser Man's stupid level where there's so many gaps and so many jumping and damn lasers blowing out of somewhere. That was really the time I got super mad at a game.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I have temper issues so I've done it all. Punched walls, tried to snap my controller, bit my controller, in the days of non-wireless controllers, pulled my controller so hard my console fell off the cupboard it was sitting on. also, rage-induced sobbing and screaming.

Sometimes it's a case of 'turn it off and try again tomorrow', and other times its a case of 'im never playing this again'.

Mind you, the most prominent examples I can think of was a dumb part in a Sonic game...and Jak 2. Jak 2 is stupidly difficult in certain parts (ok almost the entirety of Act 3)

edit: notably I've never actually broken anything. I have gotten damn CLOSE, but as a kid I didn't really get much stuff so I did try to not break things.

edit2: i just remembered why-- if I get to the rage threshold where I'd break things I usually bite myself hard enough to snap out of it. I don't break skin, but it's a good wake-up call (for me, do not try this at home)
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I've never broken a piece of hardware as a result of in-game frustration, however if I had a dime for every time I avoided swearing loudly while playing an SMT game I'd have zero dimes
Pages: first 12 next last