SMASH YOUR CONTROLLERS, SMASH YOUR SHIT, SMASH YOUR KIDS.

Pages: first prev 12 last
I did throw around my NES controller a lot (it also got bite marks... Well both of them) and I used to hit my NES so that the cartridge jumped up. On computer times I have punched the keyboard occasionally (or the table the keyboard rested on so it jumped in the air).

More recently I've mellowed out and tend to just grit my teeth and get really annoyed. But not throw things around as much. But I know I still have it in me if I get frustrated enough. Like fighting some boss battle fifteen times and having to go through some motherfucking piece of shit cutscene just to lose the battle again because FUCK THESE PEOPLE. I get upset just thinking about this right now and I hit the keys slightly harder on the keyboard but now I try to calm myself down a bit.

So I don't actually resort to physical violence. Occasionally I rage-quit. But I often ragequit decently if I'm online. If I was chatting away happily in the beginning a really shitty ending to an important game of say Blood Bowl will get me quiet and sour. And once the game is over I won't give GG but just quit. That's about the extent of my ragequitting. But I still quit in rage :)

But yeah, redoing things in games is what gets me frustrated. I'm okay with dying once. I'm even okay with dying a couple of times. Then comes the frustration and I die earlier than before because I'm just "fuck it". If I continue past it I just suicide myself a couple of times to see how the AI reacts to different methods and by the fifieth time on the day I return (after sleeping on it). I use the cold and calculating method I've found out to exploit the game's physics and AI (or gamefaqs) to get past the really shitty part of the game that I got stuck on.

And afterwards I will complain about it online about shit game design and whatnots.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
One time I punched someone for saying that Mario Kart 64 was better than Super Mario Kart. That is my only act of video game induced violence, and I have no regrets.
^ Hey man, everyone's got a right to their opinion. Including the opinion that someone needs to be punched for their opinions.

I threw my SNES controller once playing Super R-Type (controller sustained no damage). I'd like to say that's the last time I'll throw something videogame related, but I'm pretty sure that if I ever meet the guy who decided there should be no level checkpoints in that game, I'ma slam 'im. Straight up.

My dad was a rage machine who legit punched a whole in a wall once, but he somehow never broke our controllers, even when he bopped 'em pretty hard playing Smash, which is pretty incredible given how many people ruin their controllers (or 3DS's) just playing the game normally. (RIP all of my N64 thumbsticks)

Games can get me pretty salty from time to time (especially Tales bosses. I have no damn clue how stunning them is supposed to work), but I generally just quit when I get anywhere close to actually mad these days. I don't really get mad just losing normally - I'd never be able to enjoy STGs and the like if that were true. "What's a game if you never lose" and all that. It's just the usual BS like clunky controls, sparse checkpoints (especially when combined with instant death pits and the like), bad camera, wonky hit detection, etc, or when I seriously can't figure out how certain mechanics work. The last one is really bad when its also the kind of game that goes out of its way to explain obvious shit like "use the movestick to move" and "you need a key to open this door".
Very rarely, usually in fighting games against someone or in Dark Souls/something similar. When I do rage though, I usually keep junk electronics like old broken keyboards, broken mp3 players etc around and hammer on those instead of controllers etc.
I can't recall ever having a rage-attack induced from a videogame.
If there's some bullshit to reach that limit, I might at worst get overwhelmed by "annoyance" that breaks my concentration and which forces myself to put down the game for a while. Waiting a day mostly works. Sometimes I'll refuse to get back into the game for weeks.

Like in the case with Dark Souls with this boss battle
Ornstein and Smough
where all my deaths broke me a bit too much. I dropped the game for several months before I got back and did some progress.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=pianotm
One thing I'll say: I've never broken a Nintendo controller. Seriously, Nintendo should have been tank builders...

My gameboy pocket is still kicking after 17 years. The D-pad doesn't work that well though.

On topic: Even playing a game like Sonic and the Secret Rings, I've never gotten angry enough at a game to break things. I feel like I have too good of self-control to do that. That, or it comes with the fact that I never really get made at anything.
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
I've never been mad enough to destroy something from a video game, make weird notices that's another story.

author=LockeZ
One time I punched someone for saying that Mario Kart 64 was better than Super Mario Kart. That is my only act of video game induced violence, and I have no regrets.

Nothing serious except...

F-Zero GX Story Mode

nuff said.
I never let myself get too upset and hit alt+F4 before that happens these days, but I was pretty wild as a teen when a game would upset me. I never did anything like break a controller because, well, how are you going to play without one? Then again, I look silly saying that when I say that I destroyed a game once.

Hoshigami on the original Playstation, one of the most ridiculously hard strategy RPGs I've ever played, infuriated me so much this one time that I opened my Playstation, ripped the disk out and proceeded to set the disc on fire before I chopped it up into dozens of pieces using a pair of scissors. Following this, I put it in the microwave, set the timer for thirty seconds, and let it spark and fry further.

That was over ten years ago now, but man... fuck Hoshigami.
When playing Super Meat Boy I once hit my wireless keyboard so hard the back legs snapped off

because the wireless receiver was dying and dropping inputs like mad
author=Jude
I once threw a 360 controller out the window of my 12th floor apartment into a parking lot across the street. It was foolish. I missed multiple impact guards in a row in Soul Calibur due to internet lag and needed to take it out on something. Technology usually explodes in spectacular fashion... unfortunately the 360 controller is pretty lame. The plastic is too bendy so it doesn't explode other than the rumblers.

*prevents tears from welling up after realizing how old I am now* Never change that avatar.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Casualties:
-PS2 Controller. (Slammed on floor after rage at a game)
-4:3 Ratio Flatscreen Monitor. (Punched it really hard in the face, lucky I didn't get a shock or anything nasty)

It's incredible I haven't broken more in my early fits.

Nowadays if I get too frustrated with a game I just quit.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Dark Souls, Blight Town is the only thing I can remember that ever made me kill a controller. God I practically have PTSD just thinking about fucking Blight Town.

And I have anger issues in general so...yeah.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=UPRC
I never let myself get too upset and hit alt+F4 before that happens these days, but I was pretty wild as a teen when a game would upset me. I never did anything like break a controller because, well, how are you going to play without one? Then again, I look silly saying that when I say that I destroyed a game once.

Hoshigami on the original Playstation, one of the most ridiculously hard strategy RPGs I've ever played, infuriated me so much this one time that I opened my Playstation, ripped the disk out and proceeded to set the disc on fire before I chopped it up into dozens of pieces using a pair of scissors. Following this, I put it in the microwave, set the timer for thirty seconds, and let it spark and fry further.

That was over ten years ago now, but man... fuck Hoshigami.

this is fucking amazing
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I'm a very unimpulsive person, so I never get the urge to break things when I get annoyed by a video game. If I die at a certain spot over and over I'll get progressively more frustrated, but if I feel the frustration is starting to become unhealthy I just quit and try again later.

I do however always get the urge to say these frustrations out loud, and therefore I usually use my roommate as a sounding board to complain about the game's unfairness or difficulty. I use my younger brother if I'm at my parents' house. After that I'm often no longer frustrated and ready to try again.
Let me tell you a tale of one of my misadventures in Demon's Souls:

I'd just beaten the Adjudicator and was ready to tackle World 4-2. I stepped onto the cliff, and was pummeled to death by silver skeletons. Back at the checkpoint, I took out the silver skeletons and then got wrecked by gold skeletons. Back at the checkpoint, I got past the skeletons, into the cave bit and got knocked off the ledge by those respawning ghosts. Back at the checkpoint, passed the skeletons, kill the ghosts, then I got blindsided by those invisible ninja ghosts. Back at the checkpoint I scraped through the skeletons, took out all the ghosts, about to get to the last area, and got blind sided by a hidden grim reaper. At this point I had to use my PS4 controller because I literally snapped by PS3 controller in half through sheer rage.

I'm very bad when it comes to frustrating parts in video games. I've not touched F.3.A.R since I was playing solo and was expected to take out suicide bomber zombies that game at me from all angles, and could easily one shot me. Many a glass, lego model, mobile phone, controller, and cat have been thrown at the wall in a rage.
Pages: first prev 12 last