STAR OCEAN 5 ANNOUNCED FOR PS3, PS4

Pages: first 12 next last
http://gematsu.com/2015/04/star-ocean-5-announced-for-ps4-ps3
http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/32jnnh/star_ocean_5_announced_for_ps4_ps3_gematsu/

Yes, it's true. After the last Star Ocean said to be the last ever developed, Tri-Ace (which was rumored to be mad dead, yo) is developing another title for PS3, and the PS4. Thoughts? Here's mine

The Good

-A new Star Ocean is good. Hell, a new JRPG on a console, period, is good. I know the Japanese market is having a boner for mobile games right now, and well, good for them I guess, but it's good to know they haven't forgotten, as a whole, to actually develop games for the consoles they've created.
-They're trying to steer away from tactics that piss off consumers like story DLC and 'full versions' after the fact.
-Some of those new features look pretty tight.
-This might not be the last either;

The Future of the Series

Kobayashi: “I’d like to be able to keep putting these games out. By the end, when it’s all finished, we hope we have a game that draws in series fans and new players alike.”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/04/star-ocean-5-announced-for-ps4-ps3#5jyBvzv6ZL4xRrjd.99

What I'm not sure on

-Not exactly groundbreaking stuff in terms of plot and characters, true. I always liked the Star Ocean setting, however.
-Not really digging the art style.
-Star Ocean 4 was kinda terrible and SO3 was so-so. I'm hoping they're looking at SO2 for inspiration.
-They need to stop making games for PS3 and porting them to PS4. I still own a PS3, and I still play and enjoy it, but next gen systems have a lot to offer and they need to start jumping on that train.

We'll see; I like what this represents, however, Japanese developers not giving up on themselves.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
The only game I've played was a translation of the SNES SO1. I wasn't that keen on the story but the gameplay kicked ass for me. I'd like to hear more from this.
You should try SO2. Best of the series imo. I wasn't big on the 3 and 4 - have 3 and it's okay but compared to 2... well... And 4 was, well... it was certainly something else. >.<;

Hopefully they make V tight.
i really like SO1 and i have SO2 but never beat it. I should fix that, its like a tales game but more 3d and that's always been fun.

ya know im suddenly reminded that rogue galaxy existed and that was a pretty cool game too.
They botched EDGE MAVERICK and are now swinging with Fidel Camel? Sounds like they're skipping past the part where you get stranded on medieval fantasy jrpg planet and just plain start there. I ain't got any hype for this, it might as well be a pitch of a first time RM game.

As for SO2, it's an interesting and unique game but hasn't exactly aged well. It's more known for the many ways in how you can break it over your knee and a painfully long intro. Try it but I wouldn't dedicate hours to beating it if you aren't enjoying it.
After taking a look at the initial screenshots when I first found out about this, my expectations for this are mostly to proceed with caution until I can see some actual gameplay videos first.

But I’m absolutely ecstatic that they’re going to do another Star Ocean game – yes!!! I thought that when Tri-Ace got purchased and the original lead programmer left the company a little while ago that the series was pretty much over and buried with, but, lo and behold - he it is.

I mean, Star Ocean 4 wasn’t complete trash or anything like that, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as Star Ocean 2, Star Ocean: First Departure or Star Ocean 3. And it kinda doesn’t feel right for the series to just jump up and go when I know that these guys can do at least one other good game and leave on a high note.

Hopefully they can find a nice balance between some of SO2 aspects and some of SO3’s and even add some colorful new elements to the series, which it looks like they’re doing a bit with seemless battles.

Either way, I’ll be keeping a close eye on this. (I guess I might have to buy a PS4, afterall.)

author=GreatRedSpirit
They botched EDGE MAVERICK and are now swinging with Fidel Camel?

Well, at least Fidel is a unique sort of name for a main character compared to something like Edge Maverick - and it sounds quite badass! *deep, sexy voice* “Fidel… I am…Fidel.” (Unless it’s supposed to be pronounced “Fideel” instead, then oh-boy...)

author=GreatRedSpirit
Sounds like they're skipping past the part where you get stranded on medieval fantasy jrpg planet and just plain start there.

Yeaaah…hopefully they don’t start the game off like that again for the umpteenth time. I mean, I didn’t mind that much reoccurring in Star Ocean 3 as it was kind of a nod to its predecessor, but there has to be other plot elements that they come up with besides,

“Oh no, we’ve crashed landed on an undeveloped alien planet! Our highly advanced technologic guns have no effect on these small, mutant spiders! Quickly, Fidel – grab that seemingly placed sword just exactly 3 cm away from you and do good on these monsters! Do good, I say!”

“Uh-oh, spaghettio’s – the universal translator just broke again! Looks like we’ll have to find a town and stop and ask for some directions… What do you think, Fidel?”

Fidel: “Ole.”
unity
You're magical to me.
I loved Star Ocean 2 back in the day, but having seen some of 3 and 4 (but never beaten either, mind you), I wasn't all that impressed. If they can somehow recapture the spirit of 2 then I'd be interested.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
The only SO game I finished was Till the End of Time, but to date I think it's one of the best jRPGs ever made.

I'm not really interested in playing IV, though, and the premise of this new one hasn't gripped me either. Then again, it could surprise me like 3 did, so you never know
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
I own all four of the main games, including the PSP remakes, so I think I may have brain problems. The best thing I can say about 4 is that they let you turn off voice acting for specific characters. The worst thing I can say about 4 is "nappy time."

Anyway, 2 is still my favorite, if only for the bonkers crafting system and genuinely likable cast of characters. Honestly, if they can pull off something as clever as Resonance of Fate but with a battle system that isn't as coma-inducing, I'm totally on board.

Who am I kidding; I'll buy it day one anyway.
author=GreatRedSpirit
They botched EDGE MAVERICK and are now swinging with Fidel Camel?

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/29496/locker/FidelCamel.png

Like Feld said, it's good that they're still up for a console JRPG every once in a while. Too bad I really don't have any interest in Star Ocean.
Where is Phantasy Star V? ;_; ( classic PS, mind you, not PSP/Universe/Zero )
some small details on the characters and settings

The first image was all it took to go straight to negative interest in SO5
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
Oh god, Miki, what's wrong with your faaaaace
author=GreatRedSpirit
some small details on the characters and settingsThe first image was all it took to go straight to negative interest in SO5

Wow, a male swordsman and a female healer. I'm glad they tried so hard with their character designs.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Pizza
author=GreatRedSpirit
some small details on the characters and settingsThe first image was all it took to go straight to negative interest in SO5
Wow, a male swordsman and a female healer. I'm glad they tried so hard with their character designs.

Yeah, gotta agree with this sentiment. The designs aren't very inspired at all >.<
author=unity
author=Pizza
author=GreatRedSpirit
Yeah, gotta agree with this sentiment. The designs aren't very inspired at all >.<

Nothing about this game seems inspired. To be honest I don't know what I expected from a AAA JRPG in 2015, but odds are most of us already own this game under a different name, or rather several different versions of this game.

Besides the fact that this hero/heroine class dichotomy has been beaten to a bloody pulp already, dedicated healers and spellcasters aren't fucking fun. I can't recall a single time where I wanted to use a character like that in my party. I can recall a whole load of times where I was forced to because they're the only characters who can keep with up the damage being dealt to the party, either because nobody else has heals or the items stink/are cumbersome to use, and I was forced to put up with a bad character because of it. I'm looking at you, Garnet.

Don't even get me started on that witch lady's character design. Ugh.

I just wonder if the devs are aware that they seem to have constructed the game mostly out of elements that JRPGs get made fun of for.
Seems like the character designs are based off more from Star Ocean 1 than it is Star Ocean 3.

I mean, yeah, I agree, the typical male lead swordsman and female healer / love interest has been beaten half to death so many countless times that I lost count, but at least this time you’re playing not as a Earthling who gets separated from his party and is stranded on another world but more like in Star Ocean 1 where you play as a character from another world until the eventual encounter happens. At least that I like. Star Ocean 1 was really the only game in the series that had a main character who was not from Earth, so I’m glad to see that they’re exploring this form of storytelling a bit more than the previous games. I mean, yeah, they still look human in appearance, but you know…

Actually, that’s always one thing that’s bothered me about these kinds of games and in sci-fi in general: why do species from other planets have to look exactly like us? I mean, yeah they could be similar in some ways, but shouldn’t they have other key distinctive traits, like bigger eyes, heads, different colored skin and such that separate them a bit from humans? Star Ocean 2 at least some differences for some of the other characters from other worlds, like Rena having bigger, pointier ears, Opera and Ernest having a third eye, and Leon have kitty-cat ears, but they still look awfully the same. Why can’t these guys expand their horizons a little and give me something like with what Star Trek or Star Wars does - or even Mass Effect to a similar degree with its creatures and inhabitants from other worlds? At least they’re being creative.
author=Pizza
dedicated healers and spellcasters aren't fucking fun.

Dragon Age. You'll have a fucking ball, because spellcasters are less like 'squishy people' and more like forces of God.

Other than that though, while I kinda see what you mean, I can't really sympathize to the point of hating spellcasters in general, I mean, not only are they a staple to fantasy (and video games in general, even FPSes have medics), they are fun, at least conceptually. Who doesn't like the idea of someone on your side being able to toss fireballs with their fingers?
Hmm, looking back on it I can't remember why I tagged spellcasters in general there, since I don't have an issue with "Black Mage" type magicians or buffing/debuffing types in RPGs. Those classes are usually irreplaceable because spells end up hitting way harder and in more interesting/strategic ways than physical attacks. My beef really lies with dedicated healers, who end up spending most fights ineffectually smacking people with sticks until they're needed for a group heal or something. It may be realistic in terms of what a healer would do in combat, but its not really fun to play in the end.

I'd just like to see more devs think outside of the one box when designing healing units. Crossbreed them with another class, make them item focused, do something with them besides the boring old "girl dressed in white with a wooden stick". It wouldn't hurt.

Perhaps I just need to play more RPGs, I dunno.
man i want to be hype for this game, primarily because i want to have an excuse to buy a ps4 other than persona 5. But the designs are just blah. I really hope they didnt spend all their money on the render system and forgot to actually make characters with personalities.

edit: Siliconera added a new interview about SO5 where the developer says that the game is "made with older fans of the series in mind." I'm not sure how to think about that but let's say optimistic.
Pages: first 12 next last