THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

It actually happened! :D

Degica has now, by order of KADOKAWA GAMES/Enterbrain and in cooperation with me, finally released an official English version of RPG Maker 2003 on Steam.

At this point I would like to give a big thanks to Archeia who put a lot of sweat and blood into this translation as well.

Link on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/362870/
Price: $19.99

It should also be available on rpgmakerweb directly. EDIT: There you go: https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-2003

This finally officially allows creating commercial games with RPG Maker 2003 (after a registration). Fortunately, there is now also a license for patches.

There is also an official English RTP. Although it has the same content as the existing inofficial one, it has different filenames; but no worries, you can have both RTPs installed alongside each other.

This version is 1.10, which has been a bit tweaked and tuned by us:
* The fullscreen work properly, also on newer devices.
* The event editor was changed a lot:
** Its look and labels have been aligned with RMVXA - with colors and partly more information in the list than previously.
** It has a horizontal scrollbar, can copy events as text and loads large events faster.
** It's possible to copy event all commands between battle events and map/common events (although it will show a warning, because they still can't be modified while being in the "wrong" place).
* The help file now also works on Windows Vista/7/8.
* Maps can't get lost that easily anymore when a PC Cleaner is used.
* Multiple instances can be opened at the same time, and you can create direct shortcuts to projects in Windows Explorer.
* Battles go faster.
* You have 1000 pictures, 100 labels and 9999 switches/variables/etc.
* Picture commands also work while a message is displayed.
* The fonts are now directly integrated into the engine and don't need to be installed by the player.

A full changelog is available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sXlXZIXdjxVq5gh_lPFuFLMbMRzZe4BKPpRI13ZD2Qc/edit?usp=sharing

Unfortunately the source code was lost over time. Therefore, it was a bit difficult to implement the real "killer features". Also, I originally planned to include all the bugfixes from DynRPG as well, and I wanted to integrate the CommonThisEventPatch, but there was not enough time. There will be updates, though.

Best wishes,
Cherry

PS: Screenshot of the event editor:

EDIT: Version 1.12 is out with a huge picture revamp! Check out the changelog or this teaser poster
Great job Cherry, thank you for all your helpp hngh !!! <3
Was anything done about some of the database limits like enemy stats and attribute multipliers? I had to use a resource editor to get the editor to get around those restrictions due to poor game design ridiculous number inflation and skill damage algorithms and I'm not keen on doing that again to make sure my game works with an official release.
Read the changelog ;)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THIS TOTALLY DESERVES A CELEBRATION

LIKE An

RM2K3 GAME CREATION EVENT

*says that then disappears for months*
Wait, what? This actually happened?
author=GreatRedSpirit
Was anything done about some of the database limits like enemy stats and attribute multipliers? I had to use a resource editor to get the editor to get around those restrictions due to poor game design ridiculous number inflation and skill damage algorithms and I'm not keen on doing that again to make sure my game works with an official release.

Which ones exactly? So we can add it in an update.
Neat, I hope new features will be supported in EasyRPG Player soon. Other platforms and operating systems deserve RPG Maker 2003 games.
author=Kazesui
\
It's why I asked for your permission for tutorials :3

also ps. check the about of rm2k3 <3
Oh my... Ok. But the most important question: how compatible is this version/update with other versions? If I could export my current project to here (without breaking it of course), making a few bucks with it might be the push I need to finish it in a more timely fashion! =D

author=Cherry
Unfortunately the source code was lost over time. Therefore, it was a bit difficult to implement the real "killer features".

O.o

Could you please elaborate? (I'm currently looking at the changelog though.)

Oh, did you just mean adding more new cool stuff?
author=Otokonoko
sweet merciful shit

So if patches can be used, what does this mean for DynRPG? Will there be an updated RPG_RT.exe patcher, or official plugin support built-in?
author=Archeia_Nessiah
author=Kazesui
\
It's why I asked for your permission for tutorials :3

That does indeed make for a very good explanation.
It's possible that a DynRPG version might appear some day. But we can't make any kinds of promises.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Oh god, this is too much nostalgia.

I'm curious to see if we see a lot of classic 2k3 games and their developers come out of the woodwork with remakes or update, like... Super Hero's Realm, or Yume Nikki Plus!
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
I'm having a hard time believing that the first RPGMaker that I learned to use is actually legal for me to own now. I might just spend $19.99 for the nostalgia.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I'm totally buying this for the legality of it all. But wait... does that mean that soon we might see commercial Rm2k3 games? :O

Oh. my. God! Finally I can release a game that's actually meaningful to me for real monies!
So in this version it's possible play in fullscreen without the graphic interpolation? in my new monitor it looks blurry
it's supposed not to if you press f5, as it toggles interpolation on and off? I think