THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

Before I go ahead and purchase it, can you confirm that it's fully compatible with Windows 8? I've had problems trying to run the old makers in the past (resolved by changing security settings, but it was still a pain), and don't want to put my money down if it isn't going to boot up.
Yes. It is fully compatible with 8. As it states in the change file.
You do know that you can change the compatibility settings, right?

Right click on the RTP, goto Properties. If it's a simple compatibility issue, click on the tab and Compatibility. Change Settings for All Users, check run in compatibility mode for and select an earlier version, and check run as administrator.

But I'm going to teach you something better. How to disable all this protection garbage and take ownership of your own computer.

Go back to the folder itself. Rightclick into properties, tab into Security, click Advanced. There should be an owner thing. Click change, and type in Users. Click OK check the box that says change all child permissions for subfolders (something like that) to change all subfolders too. Hit OK and back in Security click on Users and edit, giving Full Permissions. Now the file functions like something in XP. This should prevent most stupidity that Windows 8 can do (trust me, this is someone who had their computer make a virtual copy of their file, causing what I edited to not match what I copied to upload).
author=bulmabriefs144
You should totally name your kid Bugmenot.
That sounds like a shitty name. Hope he makes something out of that name, though.

author=bulmabriefs144
author=Cernus
anyone who can find a way to get rid of that row command!
Unfortunately my hands are tied regarding the official re-release of RM2k3 1.10

Regarding modifications, RMW staff basically stated that "if it's not released by us or does not use tools released by us, it's a no-go". That or they've read a different EULA than the one Cherry stated.
It's a world of license agreements, limitations and stick-up-the-assery.

Even if users have a problem with some aspects of the product (e.g. the captions in the Status Screen are in english, and look stupid if everything else is in spanish or anything else), even if the solution would be really simple, official customer support will not be able to help you in any way.

Well, at least their moderators try to give you up to 3 possible solutions that they did not bother to double-check if they even work (spoiler: they didn't work).
author=bulmabriefs144
Go back to the folder itself. Rightclick into properties, tab into Security, click Advanced. There should be an owner thing. Click change, and type in Users. Click OK check the box that says change all child permissions for subfolders (something like that) to change all subfolders too. Hit OK and back in Security click on Users and edit, giving Full Permissions. Now the file functions like something in XP. This should prevent most stupidity that Windows 8 can do (trust me, this is someone who had their computer make a virtual copy of their file, causing what I edited to not match what I copied to upload).

Blimey... sounds a bit complicated! But thank you very much for your advice!
RMW staff basically stated

@bugmenot: Where did they state it? In the petition thread long before the release, or at some other place now?
author=Cherry
Where did they state it?
recent staff statement A
recent staff statement B
recent staff statement C
recent staff statement D
Neither quoting the EULA nor quoting Enterbrain.

They're doing their job.
Even if implying they can't add anything to the product that customers ask for, or can't fix bugs sounds like they are doing a shitty job.

Some severe issues and bugs with version 1.09 couldn't have been tracked down and solutions for it identified without a breach of the EULA.

e.g. even small things like monitoring if Alt+Tab was pressed (can't find the post) isn't necessary because
mov eax, ds:off_4CDE78
mov eax, [eax]
cmp byte ptr [eax+9Dh],0
already tracks if the game application is out of focus. knowing that, there's at least one simple solution to fix the current Alt+Tab issue.
When I wrote "monitoring Alt+Tab", I meant "reacting on losting/gaining focus".

Ah, Andar. I didn't realize he was part of the staff before. (Yes I know it says "Moderator" there, I see that now as well.) Personally, I think he is wrong, and some forum post is not above the EULA, in a legal sense.
And Shaz only said "*if* they are a breach to the EULA", not *that* they are.

EDIT: I had to remove the sentence about the legal patches for now. Let's see what is going to happen.
I don't see what the big fuss is about. If this happened 8 plus years ago that would he different. The change log doesn't show anything that justifies $20.00 for a program more then 10 years old. 99% of the people that want this program already have it an clearly it's silly to say you'll get it for the "legality" of it. More then likely anyone that said that already had it, making the statement almost Hypocritical.

Don't get me wrong I love rm2k3 I spent many years using it, but there comes a point when we have to move on an not cling to stuff. I'd like to see more attention put to more advanced an greater things. The makers we have now are far superior. Again I like the program I'm just saying it's time to let go.
what about using the program illegally for free for 10 years and then having it finally come out legally and for only $20? NOT buying it after investing in it so heavily would seem almost hypocritical.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Jparker1984
99% of the people that want this program already have it an clearly it's silly to say you'll get it for the "legality" of it. More then likely anyone that said that already had it, making the statement almost Hypocritical.

How is that hypocrisy? There was no other way of obtaining it legally before now, short of grabbing a Japanese version. Wanting to support something you love and legally own it are not foolish goals.

EDIT: Kentona beat me to it. What he said XD
it's hypocritical because if you cared bout the legality of it you would have never downloaded it in the first place. I'm not arguing the use of it before it became "LEGAL" hell I still have it as do alot of us.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Jparker1984
it's hypocritical because if you cared bout the legality of it you would have never downloaded it in the first place. I'm not arguing the use of it before it became "LEGAL" hell I still have it as do alot of us.

The world is not black and white. Statements like "Again I like the program I'm just saying it's time to let go" strike me as a bit judgmental here. If people want to support the official version now that's it's available, they have every right to do so. If people who have never owned it before want to get it and use it instead of the shiny new engines, they have every right to do so.
I'm not judging anyone who wants to buy it I was just stating my opinion. People like cherry have done fine work an I congratulate that.

I was more saying if you wanna use rpg maker as a serious means to make full fledged games there are better options.

Then again I can see how maybe I was a tad hypocritical. It's not any different then going back an playing old games which I still do.

EDIT: and just for the record I never said I wouldn't buy it. I said at the time being there aren't enough changes made. I would only use it for nostalgia an small things.

EDIT 2: @unity nobody "owned" it in the first place outside of Japan. Owned means to have legally acquired. What's getting skipped over is that again, I just thought it was silly that people made a big deal bout it being legal now. If they cared so strongly about that they never would have downloaded it in the first Place. If it's only in Japan an someone cares bout it being legal so much. then just don't download it. Cause if that's the case it shouldn't matter if downloading is the only way to get it.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Well I'm probably not going to buy it; I don't have any of these weird guilt since I rarely touched the thing. If they wanted my money 12 years ago, they knew exactly how to get it. :)

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, it's still neat; cherry and Ness did some great work. My only beef is that the RTP isn't compatible with prior games.
author=Benjo
author=bulmabriefs144
Blimey... sounds a bit complicated! But thank you very much for your advice!

Basically, that's because my own computer basically tried to mess me up, and made everything effectively read-only.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8

For just using the thing, this last part is optional. If however, your own computer decides to screw you over, use this process to unscrew yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------------

author=bugmenot
recent staff statement A
recent staff statement B
recent staff statement C
recent staff statement D
Neither quoting the EULA nor quoting Enterbrain.

That's hardly conclusive. It sounds like their personal opinions.

In terms, of what we've been doing for 10+ years, yeah hardly legal. In terms of Cherry's work, though, if that actually is the the case, this EULA seems out of its bounds. "Because we stopped working on it, you can't make improvements"? By that logic, 1.10 would need to be downgraded to whenever the last japanese update was.

I'm pretty sure being paid to work on a new version means that certain things can be improved, provided the authorization is given. This is the same as if a landlord with a no-alteration clause agrees to a paint job. The landlord can decide that the exact same paint shade must be used, the grass must be cut the same length each week. But the assumption is that no alterations may be made without permission as in, if the landlord suddenly gets tired of green walls, they may personally hire someone to paint them yellow. The painter is not in violation of the clause (this would be insane), but any prior or successive repaintings must also have permission. Nor does it allow the tenants to decide on a painter.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/clb-alterations-improvements-commercial-tenancy.html

Since you guys have the rights to work on it, you can ask your employers "can I do this" and what they say trumps the EULA.

Also, I am reasonably certain that DynRPG, being a patch that is property of someone besides Enterbrain, cannot be enforced by Enterbrain. If Cherry or Nessy wanted to add buttons to 2k3, this would be an improvement, and would need to be authorized. But this program functions largely outside of 2k3, and many of the plugins are my property, or Pepsi's, or Kaze's. Internal modifications are a copyright violation, but DynRPG is essentially the same as GameGenie in the eyes of the law. Another company made it, the modifications can be removed by removing the program, and codes are property of their owners.

http://madisonian.net/downloads/copyright/galoob.pdf

So any glitchiness, yea, make patches for it externally and it should be kosher. More so if you can make a removable version of DynRPG that does not need patching to run (self-loading by being in the same folder).
If this new release is unfriendly to Mods then Enterbrain can take their 19.99 and shove it up their ass.

...That being said, I do want to thank Cherry and everyone for making this possible. I know the effort required must have been monumental. And holy shit, I am excited and hoping for the best.
Let's not get too emotional here. I have reason to believe things will get better soon.
Guys... the $20 price tag includes the cost of the license for the graphics/sounds/music. Really, you're getting the program for nothing if you think about the cost of some of the official resource packs that are put out and how much they cost. Some of the music pack alone cost more than 2k3 does.

So, yeah. Licensed use of the RTP in any RM program for just $20? Fucking yes please!
Quick question about the update, since I don't see this mentioned anywhere: In this new version, have the Agility and Guard bugs been fixed, or are they still present?