THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Caninemm
I'm glad they released the official version otherwise I wouldn't be a part of this awesome community right now.

People got away with posting games made with the pirated translation here. What stopped you?
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Maybe Enterbrain's sadfact.html put him off from RPG2003. It made me question my 16-year old self for all of ten seconds before ignoring it
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Hmm... sadfact.html

If this is true, then how come 2k3 was allowed to finally be released?
Or maybe he found the community through it's release, guys... Simplest answer is usually the right one.
Liberty is correct.I saw Markiplier playing Mortis Ghosts' OFF Googled the engine for it & bought RPGMaker2K3 on steam.I wasn't even aware of the rpg maker community a month ago.
Welcome to the community then! We are, some of us, a bit curmudgeonly but for the most part they're okay peeps. ;p
The sadfact thing makes me super sad. Also I am now unabled with regard to my ability to fathom how the writers of this thing could achieve such a profound grasp of the English language.

(Still kinda wanna know when it comes out without steam)

Not that I can use it anyway, until it has DynRPG, because my current game runs heavily on comment scripts.
I was out for some while, is custom title screen implented ? and also does it support bigger charset than the previous 2k3 limitations ? If it does how is collision with obstacles solved ?

example of my heroes :

or is there classic "box" x/y for character? sorry for dumb questions if they were asnwered.

I did this crimson memories series in rm2k3 in the past but now i wish to make greater one and I m deciding between commercial rm2k3 or clickteam fusion, which I currently own.
Hey, I just had a thought. Kinda from what Rebezion just said (btw, I dunno).

In terms of Better AEP, couldn't it be a matter of simply having a checkbox saying Ignore Title? I dunno, but it seems like an easy fix to check for a simple precondition, and if met, the action starts at Start Position). Open Save Menu could stand to be Open Load/Save Menu, and have a radio that when Okay is hit, either says Open Save Menu (allowing previous compatibility), or Open Load Menu (which seems a horrible oversight, since the makers of 2k3 never thought it would be used apparently).

Custom Load/Save Menus could come later (I honestly could cut some headache and simply rid myself of that), but saving/load to a specific file might be a good option (with a file 0 being good for a hidden save file).
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
This is the most baffling timing of anything that has ever happened in human history.

They decide to support an official English version more than a decade into the engine's nominal obsolescence?

I'm not even complaining or anything just...what the actual fuck. Maximum inscrutability.
It's a popular engine. They're peeved that they missed an opportunity to make money.

Which is missing the point. The target demographic for 2k and 2k3 is dirtpoor nerd type shut-ins that don't have a steady job and thus little or no income. The only reason I can even afford the $16 version is because I currently have no rent.
Seriously? Is the Basement Dweller stereotype even still a thing anymore? That kinda went out of style back in the 90s, when a nerd with no social skills became the richest, most successful businessman in the world.
author=bulmabriefs144
It's a popular engine. They're peeved that they missed an opportunity to make money.

Which is missing the point. The target demographic for 2k and 2k3 is dirtpoor nerd type shut-ins that don't have a steady job and thus little or no income. The only reason I can even afford the $16 version is because I currently have no rent.

Speak for yourself. IIRC we had someone who was a popstar on the old GW forums who was also a game creator. We also have people who have jobs and teens still in school and septaganerians and mothers and fathers and, yes, the occassional dungeon-dweller, but there's a very wide spread of people here, not just the kind you're saying is the target demographic.

The real target demographic are those who grew up with 8-bit jRPGs like the early Final Fantasies and the like - now all adults. At the time of the release of the engine, they would have been mid-late teens. That's the true demographic that was intended.
Only saying. It wouldn't be a stereotype is there wasn't some truth to it.

If I had a "real job" (whatever that is, in this economy) I'd likely be using VX Ace if not for the terribad graphics, and annoying battle marking (It's cool that they have the whole zones of enemies, but sometimes I just want to make a box and rightclick Bats and not have to look through two pages).

Nah, nvm, who am I kidding? I like the built-in sideview with the option to change things to top-down just by shifting the location. I still will consider buying it whenever it comes out sans Steam, and plugin compatible. In the meantime, I'm gonna update it to the limit with plugins.
unity
You're magical to me.
I purchased the official English 2k3 when it first came out. I apologize if this has been covered already, but to get the latest version of the engine, do I just delete my copy and re-download through Steam?

If I do that, and I make a run-time package of a game I've already released, will it have all the updates to the program included?

Steam by default will keep the editor up to date when it isn't open. If there's an update that requires changing the RPG_RT.exe or something then there'll probably be specific instructions of how to do so.
unity
You're magical to me.
Oh, great! :DDD So I don't even need to redownload. That's fantastic! Thanks, GRS! ^_^
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
BTW, does anyone know how "Row" affects the characters?

In Final Fantasy games a character in the back row would have more physical defense but less physical attack and vice versa for the front row.

But in RPG Maker 2003 it seems like row changes little in physical attack / defense, also back row characters seems to miss physical attacks more often.
author=iddalai
BTW, does anyone know how "Row" affects the characters?

In Final Fantasy games a character in the back row would have more physical defense but less physical attack and vice versa for the front row.

But in RPG Maker 2003 it seems like row changes little in physical attack / defense, also back row characters seems to miss physical attacks more often.

I think the only thing Row affects is: if you're in the front, you get a buff to regular attack damage, and if you're in the back, you take less damage from enemy regular attacks.

No stats change. The damage calculations are just modified.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
During some mild testing it also seemed to change how often the character was targeted -- when 2 in front and 2 in back, front was picked 60% of the time. this was hardly scientific though, but at least better than anecdotal evidence haha