THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

Magi
Resident Terrapin
There is a possibility in the future that you will be able to do that. Cherry is looking to update his patches to function with the legal version of 2003 once a new EULA is finalized.

I think that people who really wanna use this engine to make their games won't be too disappointed if they are okay with waiting a bit more.
Here a few changes that would be neat to have :)
-Larger sprites.
-Utilize the ! and $ in the spriteset name.
-Ability to skip the Title Screen.
-Ability to change font and icons.
Pretty sure 2k3 already does the $ thing, I believe. The ! isn't necessary since 2k3 doesn't use an offset like Ace does. (Ace adds a few pixels to make a sprite a little higher off the base line of the grid.)
You can change font and icons using the reshack, though of course it's not legal.
In-engine you can skip the title screen.
No, $ doesn't work. Yeah the ! is unnecessary. Forgot what it did XD I know you can change the font and icons. But it would be nice to have a more convenient way, like a folder to put an image of the desired icons or something. The skip title thing is only applied in test runs.
Has cherry some site/forum/tweet where we can watch any progress on possible patches ?? I m interested in one which skips title screen and does not break license.
author=Magi
There is a possibility in the future that you will be able to do that. Cherry is looking to update his patches to function with the legal version of 2003 once a new EULA is finalized.

I think that people who really wanna use this engine to make their games won't be too disappointed if they are okay with waiting a bit more.

I think I'll wait this one out. I was all like "hurry up, hurry up" for the non-Steam version, and got disappointed. I think I'll just let things grow naturally this time.

In terms of the sprites, unless there is some auto-calculating system, where sprites can be 2x2 or 3x3 tiles (not pixels, tiles), messing with sprite resolution could mess stuff up.

In terms of what I'd like to see:
  • DynRPG support (most of it)
  • Self Switches
  • Moving Window Graphic, Title, Gameover to System 2
  • System checkboxes (Skip Title Screen, Follow Hero, allowing a backup party for easy exp leeching/party switch)
  • Battle Screen checkboxes (more options to battle setup, including a way to switch to turn-based)
  • More Event Commands on page four of the list
  • Support for pictures in battle

If some of this takes a few updates, that's fine. I'd like to see battle picture support, and DynRPG support. The other stuff involves changing the actual layout of the system.
Things you more than likely will never be seeing in legal copies of 2k3:
- Self Switches
- Moving Window/Title/Game over to System 2
- System checkboxes
- Battles Screen checkboxes
- More event commands, ever

You might be lucky to see support for pictures in battle (not likely though). Maybe you'll see Cherry stuff supported. Maybe.

Don't get your hopes up. For all intents and purposes, bar a few bug fixes, there will not likely be much more added to the engine. You can dream but dreams can leave you disappointed when you finally wake up and see the light of day.
Dog has spoken.

author=Liberty
Things you more than likely will never be seeing in legal copies of 2k3:
- Self Switches
- Moving Window/Title/Game over to System 2
- System checkboxes
- Battles Screen checkboxes
- More event commands, ever

Hold up though. Self-switches is maybe some massive pointer thing, but ummm maybe you should look at this.

(System 1)

(System 2)

It's clear that given the way things were rearranged, it can technically be done (if you can reorganize, it means you understand how to work the system; making radio buttons then isn't impossible, if you have some ready-made code that you can just plop in new stuff to. Given that we have much of this code here and there, it is a matter of getting permission to include), if someone wants it badly enough. The issue, however, being what they are allowed to do. If the EULA changes things, then I'm gonna say "pfffft" to everything you just said.

I wanna see Cherry/pictures first. The other stuff is mostly extra. But I won't be talked out of stuff, because it's clear that there is the means to do this, and more.
You can tell me not to dream big all you want. Perhaps, I should tell you to stop dreaming so small.
(Just to troll you abit, Joel Osteen)

Let's be patient, and see how things turn out. It's like a garden. You can put salt on it (low hopes), put fertilizer (high hopes), or just leave it to do its thing. I'm gonna go with the flow, and see how it develops.
Great post. A+. More before/after pictures & videos plz.
I really want to see
-dynamic pictures handling (show, move, erase pictures by a variable ID and variable name)
-Use "This event" in common events
-custom title screen (which implies a way to call load save screen and exit game option )
-local switches/variables in events
-same options from conditional branch in event page conditions
-Avoid game crashing when you call an event page that not exists
-enable turn-based battle system

at least, almost all of this things were in non-official patches
author=PepsiOtaku
Great post. A+. More before/after pictures & videos plz.

Pffft, I especially like the video.

Lestar, alot of this should be doable with a simple addition (but on the programmers end, I dunno). There was alot of stuff that needs variables that doesn't have.

• Certain options don't have switches/variables and kinda need them
  • Number of Steps would be nice in variables
  • Most of the above is true
  • Change Monster HP needs All Enemies (when you copy paste events, you have to cut individual monsters or it says ? and gives a very real error, so either it needs to ignore ? missing stuff or be able to target all)
  • Same options really aren't necessary, you can import (but more options would be nice, of course)
  • If event page does not exist might be a good thing to note. But assuming you do that (and not skip the missing stuff), better error checking in general, telling what's missing instead of "common event refers to an item that does not exist." Seriously, tell me where it is.

There was a turn-based system patch (I used it), but it wasn't DynRPG compatible. CommonThisEvent, and PicsInBattle I thought would be built in (they seemed to be intuitive needs). I'd like to see some toggle options though.
Bulma just write your own engine. Seriously.
What you don't seem to understand is that EB! paid for those edits to be done. They aren't going to pay much more for an older engine to be edited. Do you expect Cherry to work for free on the engine and provide illegal stuff under EB!'s name? Yeah, no.
Also, I hear it was hell messing with the window configuration, and that's the engine itself - adding a component to do so in the maker would be more money than EB would allow. Especially since their main aim was a simple translation and some fixes. Not a whole new engine. Same with adding more event types. Maybe if they had the actual engine code but alas, EB! lost it so don't expect much more than what we have.
author=kentona
Bulma just write your own engine. Seriously.

@bulma: Pretty much this. Just enjoy the engine for what it is and mak some gams. If something comes along that tickles your fancy, great, but its ridiculous that every 2k3/dynrpg I look at these days had all these outrageous requests for stuff. You obviously have some kind of vision brewing, but lack the skill required yo make it a reality. Focus on something small that you're good at and work your way up. You'll get there eventually, but you need to stop relying so much on this community to do your bidding. We're all hobbyists here.
author=Liberty
What you don't seem to understand is that EB! paid for those edits to be done. They aren't going to pay much more for an older engine to be edited. Do you expect Cherry to work for free on the engine and provide illegal stuff under EB!'s name? Yeah, no.
Also, I hear it was hell messing with the window configuration, and that's the engine itself - adding a component to do so in the maker would be more money than EB would allow. Especially since their main aim was a simple translation and some fixes. Not a whole new engine. Same with adding more event types. Maybe if they had the actual engine code but alas, EB! lost it so don't expect much more than what we have.

Well in that case, what I really want is expandability. To have the EULA open-ended enough that patches and plugins can be done legally, and be able to do this stuff myself. I don't have a computer science degree, I know basic C++, and not hardly enough to write my own engine. I can however tweak things to preference, and I'm hardly alone in thinking that this is a goal. Like lestar even said, most of this stuff is actually doable by previous patches/plugins. What would be good is taking these ideas under consideration, and hopefully getting more plugins developed (this is how 2k3 has developed in the last 3 or so years anyway). So mainly...

An opened-up EULA, and not having the 2k3 crash if you're missing stuff (just skip what's missing). This would make the whole thing a replacement for the current free version, and I could just switch over. If later bug fixes came along, great, but the very minimum that I'm not cool with is not having DynRPG, since that came with the old one. If we did not have DynRPG, what I'm saying is that it would pretty much be necessary to include all the crap that was already included from patches/plugins, or all the stuff would basically be missing from the engine.

That won't stop me however, from making a dozen different ideas, and being upset when they don't deliver. It's kinda how I roll. Speaking of which, 2k3 should totally have mouse capability built-in. And be able to take snapshots. And ummm some other random stuff that is way beyond EB's funding.
author=bulmabriefs144
Well in that case, what I really want is expandability.

author=Sated
People who want to change core parts of how the engine works should use one of the newer makers that allow custom scripting...
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
Cherry told us there is a possibility to allow patches in the future.

It may, or may not happen.

You'll just have to be patient and wait for news.

C'mon, we waited years for an English release of RPG Maker 2003, what's a few more months?

Keep working on your games using the other version of the program.
author=kentona
author=bulmabriefs144
Well in that case, what I really want is expandability.
author=Sated
People who want to change core parts of how the engine works should use one of the newer makers that allow custom scripting...

Totally not what I meant, and you know it.

Currently, in my Tales game, I have MessageExtender inactive being that there is no support. This means, in text it says \d(1) (the brackets doesn't show so I used parentheses) when it should display a title. When I have a limit break effect, I display a picture. But none shows up. When I have a common this event (something that Cherry basically figured was a given), the game crashes. I have RPS+ giving characters "immune" if elemental attack is 0%, but this doesn't show up. My menu clock and BG also doesn't work. This was only a few plugins, and I thought I'd not mind. But I do, because it's broken.
This is all wasted effort and wasted money (being that I can either choose not to use the new one at all, or make a game which I currently have to remove all the new stuff to get it not to crash or operate weirdly). So this means I either ditch all by plugin codes (and in the case of CommonThisEvent, I have to hunt down instances where I used it) to make the game run properly, and have to then re-add if later stuff changes (possibly forgetting some key stuff in the process). Or keep them and work with a game that may never run properly. I'm currently not even certain what to do with this bright shiny useless engine. So I haven't used it more than once since buying, and you wonder why I'm upset?

Oh yea, and after I bought it for $19.99 it went on sale on steam (which I still cannot use) for $5.

We can hopefully get the new EULA, and I'd be cool with that (easy import of much of my current features, np). We can get some of these features built-in legally (since the game needs many of them), and I'd be okay with that, after spending a couple dozen hours reprogramming.

Or I can stop using it, and demand a refund. That is not what I want to do, because I want a new game engine too.

iddalai, I'm fine with waiting, if waiting pays off. But if it's like waiting for a girlfriend in this life, it's stuff that might happen, or might be bait and switch, when it becomes an exercise in frustration. It's easy to tell people to wait, and it's easy to say don't get your hopes up. But I have to keep positive, because I usually have little to look forward to.

iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
I mean no disrespect, but nothing in this topic or the RPG Maker 2003 sale webpages makes me feel like I'm being promissed a "jetpack" :/

This is just an official release (with bug fixes) of a program most of us already used illegally.

I think their objective was to get at least some money from this extremely pirated program.

It's a broken program, but I think they deserve some of that money, even if only for the good times (read years upon years) I've spent with the program.