THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

author=bulmabriefs144
author=kentona
author=bulmabriefs144
Well in that case, what I really want is expandability.
author=Sated
People who want to change core parts of how the engine works should use one of the newer makers that allow custom scripting...
Totally not what I meant, and you know it.

What I know is that you totally don't understand what you want.

Because from all that you are describing, you want RPG Maker VX Ace, but refuse to admit that to yourself.
Yup. And the fact that they added some extras doesn't mean we were entitled to them or anything more than that.
author=kentona
author=bulmabriefs144
author=kentona
author=bulmabriefs144
Well in that case, what I really want is expandability.
author=Sated
People who want to change core parts of how the engine works should use one of the newer makers that allow custom scripting...
Totally not what I meant, and you know it.

What I know is that you totally don't understand what you want.

Because from all that you are describing, you want RPG Maker VX Ace, but refuse to admit that to yourself.

It's not. I've experimented with VX Ace, and I usually stopped using it for one reason or another (possibly to do with the horrible little munchkin charsets, the blocky hard-to-edit charsets and tilesets, the lack of the battlecharsets that 2k3 has naturally, the encounter tilesets thing, and several other awkward features that just annoyed or irked me). I realized after trying it, that I want something like Ace, maybe, without actually being Ace. And since if I removed everything from it that annoyed me, I would have 2k3, ummmm, I think you've got it backwards. I also don't want to redo my games from scratch, only to find out (again) that there is something I don't like about Ace. I already know.
In short, the only thing I'd really care about is having DynRPG and some of the stuff that was HPA converting into ips plugins (no-auto-battle, PicsInBattle, and maybe the turn based patch). You can say all you want that I want VX Ace, but it just ticks me off. 10 YEARS. That's the amount of work I would have to reproduce on an engine that doesn't even do all I want without me learning scripting.
I want to use the engine I've used, either under new terms. I don't want Ace. If I wanted Ace, I have the license key I think on one of my emails.

In a side note, I like Ace much better than either VX or XP, but precisely because it resembled 2k3. When I realized this, I stopped using. No. If you could only change one more thing on 2k3, and it had to count, I'd just say just the terms of EULA, and have the rest of the stuff the same.

I'd easily pay $35.99 to have DynRPG support or some new features. It's not that big a deal to save up for something I want. What is a big deal is trying to redo 5 or 10 years of work on VX Ace. Hell no, I don't want that.
Being similar =/= compatible program.
unity
You're magical to me.
This discussion is still going on? XD Use whatever you want.
like I said, you refuse to admit it to yourself.
bulmabriefs, try to compromise with your engine of choice to some degree and perhaps cut some things that would just be way too involved with said engine.

The purpose of starting development of a game with an engine is convenience. If it becomes too much of a hassle to alter the engine, then you lose that convenience. The line should be drawn somewhere.

If you have in fact spent so long on making this game, what was your plan before DynRPG was around? Perhaps use that as your base to fall back onto to help finish the game as you potentially cut some of the more lofty ideas.
Seriously, bulma you're way too serious. I am super stoked about dynrpg possibly becoming legal but if not... Oh well! Adapt! Evolve! I've spent months working on my custom battle system using dynrpg plugins and it sucks to think all that hard work could amount to my game being technically illegal. I wrote my own music, made my own sprites, and wrote mu own battle system using clunky rpgmaker2003 events.

Working on this project was rewarding and a huge learning experience as a whole. It sucks waiting for a verdict, but oh god damn well. Whatever Enterbrain decides will not detract from what I've learned and taken away from that experience. As artists, even as just hobbyists, we all have to move on and push ourselves to do new and challenging things using our past experiences as guides.

Rm2k3 has been a past experience informing my future endeavors for a long time now. In order to grow, you need to move on, man.

EDIT: In regards to your complaints about vx ace... this screenshot was taken in rmvxace when I was messing around with it. So, pretty much, your argument about it being ugly graphically because of its tiles being 32x32 and its chibi vanilla charsets is totally invalid.
author=Shoobinator
bulmabriefs, try to compromise with your engine of choice to some degree and perhaps cut some things that would just be way too involved with said engine.

The purpose of starting development of a game with an engine is convenience. If it becomes too much of a hassle to alter the engine, then you lose that convenience. The line should be drawn somewhere.

If you have in fact spent so long on making this game, what was your plan before DynRPG was around? Perhaps use that as your base to fall back onto to help finish the game as you potentially cut some of the more lofty ideas.

The game was more or less finished by 05/01/2013, according to the database. I spent the last 2 or so years adding DynRPG because the game is weird, I'm a dork, and I "need" said features. Like having all treasure chests saved to a file, so I don't have to use as many switches. Or having animated boss monsters. Like I say, it's completely necessary, and I absolutely refuse to compromise at any point. Some of the work past the complete date was editing strange bugs or missing stuff. But some of it was because that's cool and I absolutely must have it in my game.

In the case of Tales, I actually need about three patches:
  • No Auto Battle
  • RPS+ (I have designed it with a custom battle system from the start, and downsized this. But mainly, I need attacks to do minimum damage with no reduction to 0, since I need even weak monsters to be able to wear the party down)
  • Condition icons

These are not unreasonable, and part of the battle mechanism.

Oracle of Tao is another can of worms, as it started self-sufficient, then feature-creep made it pretty darn feature-creepy (why I haven't switched to new 2k3 with Oracle of Tao).
What is the issue? You can use DynRPG. You just can't sell the fucking game. And that's it.
The issue, is that 2k3 (tsukuru) has choppy broken battle system, where weird row issues, broken ATB, and turns getting interrupted while you're casting a special attack because that monster just HAS to attack, even though it breaks some code that pauses turns for a damned moment. The issue is that I converted Tales completely, and I'm not sure the process is reversible without issues (edit: it appears to be; I'll keep the new 2k3 in hopes that one day Enterbrain will get their stuff together and do the right thing, and use the old one for now). And the issue is that I want a shiny new engine for my second game (regardless of whether it makes money, that was never the issue).

I basically have to choose between a battle system that doesn't work correctly because of stupid glitches and turn interruptions, and a battle system that doesn't work because of some dumb EULA problem (Seriously. As long as it is a legal copy of the game, modding will not hinder sales. It will only help them, because half of the people who won't use because "my game runs on DynRPG" like Millenim now can switch over. So why is this impossible?) making DynRPG... I honestly don't know if DynRPG will crash the engine, is usable but not sellable, or is simply not able to patch. In short, the issue is that for Tales, I need a side scrolling engine (ruling out VX Ace, since it needs scripting to do that) that doesn't suck out of the box (ruling out the old one really), and allows minimum damage (ruling out the second). So I'm kinda stuck without an engine with which to run this game. I'll probably just return to the old version unless things change, which is completely depressing because I expected great or at least marginally good things from this engine.

Anyone know where I can get the latest DynRPG? I think I only have 0.20.

Thanks Pepsi.

You guys know what arugula is? It's a pretentious tiny thing that looks like a member of the cabbage family. Suppose someone wanted a BLT. "But lettuce sucks!" they say. So someone insists that obviously since lettuce is not what they want, arugula must be it. When actually all they want is something a bit more like spinach. "Nope, you must want arugula." No, stop giving me arugula, it's dry, it's too peppery, and it tastes bitter when you cook it.

I don't want VX Ace. I want the legal version to be moddable, like the old version was moddable. I don't see the problem. And I won't see "reason" because it's unreasonable.

In fact, it's insane. The fact that stuff changed (after 12 years, yay legal version), meant that stuff could change. If stuff can change, but won't, why change it in the first place?!? That's like a cruel tease, getting someone's hopes up that things might get better, only to throw it back. I was okay with the old one (don't be snarky, this DynRPG link goes for 0.20 not 0.30), but since there's a new one, I want it to reach its actual potential, whatever that is. Why is that wrong?

2k3 needs legitimacy as an engine. Instead of pushing for this, all I hear is how these ideas "will never work". How "don't get your hopes up". Okay, I won't. Gimme back the old one, and leave me alone.

Then get your ass down to some expensive bakery and buy that fucking thing there. Or make your own damn sandwich. If I don't sell anything but argua in my damn store, why the hell are you shopping here looking for something else? You want something else? Go find somewhere else that offers it you pretentious little twit. My God, there's a reason you're one of, like, three people I've got on ignore.

"Oh, I'm sure he's just saying thanks for the link... not complaining about something like a pretentious, precious little snowflake who hasn't been catered to completely."

You know what? I'd like to see x, y or z in my game too, but hey, guess what?! Unlike crying about how the engine doesn't have fucking lettuce, I actually stand up and say "Well, guess I don't really need lettuce today. Let me try that agua thing instead. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but I'm not gonna sit around and waste everyone's time demanding that I get everything my damn way! If it doesn't work for me, I'll just not order that particular sandwich here next time!"

Grow up.

No. Because you clearly have no idea what it's like to never get anything my damned way. Do you even know why I'm upset? It's because in 32 odd years, this was the highlight of my life. I worked hard through college, only to realize I pretty much was qualified for nothing but sub-entry level work (weird jobs that nobody else wanted, working for self-employed janitors at split-shift or lonely as hell garden work that maybe got me 9 hours a week). I try to stick with things, but they never seem to get better. No, they get worse. I work for most of the last year in a shitty part-time job that despite working almost 40 hours alot of weeks I can't even spare a few hundred to fix my car. I quit, after frustration with that job, only to become even more frustrated after nearly a year passes with no real job, my apartment gets put on the market, and I realize it's actually better at home despite barely any jobs there. So I live with my parents and maybe make $60 a week. I have few friends that aren't in the city I just left, and have to make effort just to see my old ones. So yay, stuff starts turning around with this, and you know what? It didn't.
I don't need this. I'm tired of bait and switch. Tired of working strange jobs that I don't want with weird hours, so I can hopefully meet people, who are all working normal shifts. Tired of meeting girls that seem nice only to suddenly call me a jerk or a loser for God knows why. Tired of false promises. EULA may get better. Great, tell me if/when it does. Preferably by PM because I probably won't read this.

It's just lettuce. Or whatever the stupid metaphor was. I don't have a bakery, I don't have a supplier, you're the only deli within miles that caters, and you have the means to make a difference (at least that's my perception) by ordering the item from the supplier. I'm impotent, because I didn't have fancy resources, and depend on others just to live. I believe that other people can write to them, act, or do something. Instead, nope, more cynicism. When you work for your family to live, tell me about being a special snowflake. I'll tell you that you're full of it, that I'm asking for help because I actually want help, not because I'm entitled to anything.

Again, where's the right version of DynRPG? This one gave me a broken file.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
author=bulmabriefs144
Also, that file is damaged or corrupt.

No worse than what you're doing to this forum as we speak, but no worries, I have a solution that should give you what you want and need. Just follow these simple steps:

0) Stop taking your anger out on this forum and risking permaban.
1) Learn C#
2) Get Unity3D
3) Use Unity3D
4) ????
5) Profit!!!
I sorta know C++. But it was high school level. I can't afford to goto college again, so lacking better options, I use this site. It helps some, but not anywhere near the point of programming beyond simple plugins/patches. I ask for help, because not too proud to beg. Usually get ignored, because people think I'm an emo angry teen or something. Not a needy depressed adult that needs psych counseling but can't afford it because insurance is also crap (it covers 0%).

Training costs time and money. Neither of which I have in great quantity.

I could in theory download the previous version of DynRPG (Cherry's) but I'd have to wipe all quickpatches. Meh, I think I had the foresight to have a copy of one patch or the other of dynrpg. Hopefully the right copy. Yay, it is! Mostly. Quickpatches and plugins works.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
jesus tapdancing christ you guys
Uh oh. Magi's flaming mad.

Let's all calm down. Everyone but me, of course.
Guys, it is obvious that bulma is stuck being an obstinately deluded entitled fool - best not to engage with him anymore. And bulma, if you post in this thread again whining about how this 12 year old engine isn't magically catering to your fanciful whims I will serve you with a Warning.