THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

Why would I do that? Either something is what it promises to be, or it isn't.

If I meet a girl, hoping she'd be my girlfriend, and instead after two weeks of knowing her, she cuts all ties with me, well I can get hung up over it (like I clearly did here), or I can just realize that this isn't the one for me.

If I've gone back to the other 2k3 with both Tales and Oracle, then I have no reason to complain about this engine. In fact, as soon as I stopped using it, I felt a weight of my back.

As for that girl, I know she wants to still be friends or something but as long as she keeps hurting me that's not happening (what, you thought that was a metaphor?)
unity
You're magical to me.
author=bulmabriefs144
No. Because you clearly have no idea what it's like to never get anything my damned way. Do you even know why I'm upset? It's because in 32 odd years, this was the highlight of my life. I worked hard through college, only to realize I pretty much was qualified for nothing but sub-entry level work (weird jobs that nobody else wanted, working for self-employed janitors at split-shift or lonely as hell garden work that maybe got me 9 hours a week). I try to stick with things, but they never seem to get better. No, they get worse. I work for most of the last year in a shitty part-time job that despite working almost 40 hours alot of weeks I can't even spare a few hundred to fix my car. I quit, after frustration with that job, only to become even more frustrated after nearly a year passes with no real job, my apartment gets put on the market, and I realize it's actually better at home despite barely any jobs there. So I live with my parents and maybe make $60 a week. I have few friends that aren't in the city I just left, and have to make effort just to see my old ones. So yay, stuff starts turning around with this, and you know what? It didn't.
I don't need this. I'm tired of bait and switch. Tired of working strange jobs that I don't want with weird hours, so I can hopefully meet people, who are all working normal shifts. Tired of meeting girls that seem nice only to suddenly call me a jerk or a loser for God knows why. Tired of false promises. EULA may get better. Great, tell me if/when it does.

You are responsible for your own happiness, and no one else. If your happiness depends on an RPG Maker engine working the way you want it to, then I advise you to seriously seek professional help.

As impossible as it can seem when your life looks to be completely dreary, happiness can be found, but you have to understand that you have to create that happiness yourself, because if you believe it lies in wealth, relationships, or making a game that everyone loves, you are putting your own well-being in the hands of others and outside of your own control.
I don't even think the issue was this engine.

Sure, it could be great with X feature.

But that's not really what it was about. This Monday, I saw the Bachelorette, where this guy had been told by the house they didn't like the new guy Nick. So some guy speaks up. I forget his name, but the girl is on some "honesty" kick (even though she wouldn't know the truth if it stared her in the face). They guy bluntly says what he heard, that nobody in the house cared for Nick. So rather than talking to each of them one on one, and dismissing it as maybe he read wrong, she decides to confront him in front of a bunch of people. They throw him under the bus, and he's like "wtf? Guy didn't you say..." Nope, sorry guy, you're jealous.

This is sage advice, unity, but unfortunately, I can't take it just yet. I have weak interpersonal bonds, and as a result need "a few people who won't leave me." Do I need wealth? Probably not. A game everyone loves? Not as much as making one that has everything that I love. Relationships? Given that much of mine have crashed and burned, nah. But I feel like I have nobody I can count on when things go wrong, and a person shouldn't be without that. I need people who have my back, more than I need a fancy engine. I don't need other people, but I certainly don't need to feel backstabbed either.

Lately, I felt like I was arguing for what I thought everyone wanted, and it turned around to "we don't cater to you needs." Uhhh, hold up, so everyone here likes the new one and sees no problem? Why didn't you say that on page 6 or 8 or so? It would have saved me some grief. I was under the impression some other people than me weren't cool with using it, because it would have meant they couldn't import their old game files if they had DynRPG. Is everyone really happy with how things are? Or am I set up as the fall person?

author=Milennin
Youre Impressions of New 2k3

05/26/2015 08:28 AM
It's cool that it's there and fixed a few of the things wrong with the old RM2K3, but am not at all interested in using it for my project until DynRPG (and Hyperpatcher2) becomes compatible with it.

05/26/2015 01:24 PM

I see. And it even works for enemies as well. This is really useful. But the lack of DynRPG (and Hyperpatcher2) compatibility still won't make me consider using the legal version over the illegal sadly. My game's combat system won't function without those. If at least DynRPG is made usable with the new RM2K3 I'll probably step over to the legal version. Being able to use battle events in common events is a huge plus.

And yet, when I spoke up about how "the EULA really needs to be changed so people can use DynRPG" he was silent. So was everyone else who said anything similar. That's what I'm upset about, not whether the engine has new stuff or not. That I was fed to the wolves, and left stating an opinion that nobody would back me on.
unity
You're magical to me.
The fact that you have brought up real life topics of dissatisfaction on more than one occasion in this thread seems to indicate that you are putting a distressingly large burden on this engine to fulfill your needs. It's not common to bring up all the disappointments in life when trying to have a discussion about a game maker.

As for relationships, they are powerful, but you may need to adjust your way of thinking before you can even properly establish them, especially if you've continuously had trouble doing so in the past. You will require outside help to do this.
Maybe, just maybe, they changed their minds. Or didn't bother to check the thread again after posting that one time. Or just didn't care enough to reply. People have their reasons, dude.

Like unity said, you seem to have taken this a bit too personally by investing yourself in the whole thing too deeply. And even if you have a bond with people that doesn't mean they have to take your side all the time, even if they agree with you. Maybe they didn't want exactly what you did, or maybe they just shrugged and got over it.

Even close friends can disagree with you on a topic - Nessy and I 'discuss' quite often about different topics, often getting heated/passionate. It doesn't make us any less connected. People are going to disagree - it's knowing when to shrug and say "Yeah, okay, I value your interpretation but we're neither of us going to budge on this. Let's move past it." that matters most - and the way you keep bringing it up over and over after it seemed like it was done and ended is what has made people more annoyed over it.
There was never a promise of anything in the EULA changing, only a possibility. I think those involved have been quite clear that while they are doing everything they can, not to get your hopes up that Enterbrain would make such a radical change to their legal policies.

Yes, I think most everyone would agree DYNRpg should be allowed under a revised EULA.

But you have to pick your battles. There are alternatives. We also can't bemoan what we have gained through the extraordinary efforts of the indie developers who fought for a Legal english translation just because we didnt get everything we wanted.
That's fine.

But I would have liked to hear some ppl like "yea we want it too, but it's only a chance, nothing's set in stone yet." Instead I somehow got left with the impression that everyone wanted it but nobody wanted things to change, or something. And locked into a debate mindset.

Another thing about the Bachelor, there's always someone who "didn't come to make friends". I would like to think the best reason to use a forum is because you like the topic, and secondarily to meet ppl.
I guess it sorta felt like I couldn't really get a good feel on people's thoughts concerning the new engine, so that frustration along with the impression nothing would change here, plus being stuck with something that wouldn't work with the old code, kinda made me crazy.

The other thing was my background is my dad's a priest. So aside from getting frequently uprooted, I've noticed in his struggles to update country churches "that's not the way we've done it before". Thinking this was the case was part of why I carried on so long, a sense that this needs to change, and ppl seem to be fighting it. When actually it might have been "yea duh I want that too, but you're being annoying and pushy about something none of us can do anything about."

Yay for completely misreading ppl, apparently.
Good afternoon.

I was wondering what a "turn" is in 2k3 battles.

Are they like this?:

Turn 1: Monster -> Turn 2: Hero -> Turn 3: Another hero

Or like this?:

Turn 1: Monster -> Hero -> Another hero.

Turn 2: Monster -> Hero -> Another hero.

Thanks in advance!
like the first one. Every action by any actor (be it monster or hero) counts as a "turn"
Hello there!

author=kentona
like the first one. Every action by any actor (be it monster or hero) counts as a "turn"

Thank you very much! Where is the "Thumbs up" button here? lol

Jokes aside, is there any way to heal every, let's say, 1 or 3 seconds? Or we just have to do it like "Heal every 2 or 3 turns"?

Thanks!
It's probably be a good idea to ask your questions in a thread in the help section of the forums, but you can have a status effect that heals a certain amount every turn. If you wanted to make it every couple of turns you'd have to use a battle event to set it up, though.
Hello!

author=Liberty
It's probably be a good idea to ask your questions in a thread in the help section of the forums, but you can have a status effect that heals a certain amount every turn. If you wanted to make it every couple of turns you'd have to use a battle event to set it up, though.

I am sorry, I thought it would be OK asking 2k3 things here. Thanks for helping me out, guys!

By the way, is there an approximate date in which the new update is going to come out?

Thanks in advance!
author=ItEm
Good afternoon.

I was wondering what a "turn" is in 2k3 battles.

Are they like this?:

Turn 1: Monster -> Turn 2: Hero -> Turn 3: Another hero

Or like this?:

Turn 1: Monster -> Hero -> Another hero.

Turn 2: Monster -> Hero -> Another hero.

Thanks in advance!

The one thing that seriously messed me up about 2k3 (either one) was this.

I had code that used a counter to count to a point, then it would set that to 0 and set a switch on (reverse order, I think). Another variable would count upward, based on hero turns. Kinda a manual Turn-Based override. However, there's a couple problems with this.

This actually works better in new 2k3, despite the code not actually built to turn based. Some of this is because turns are broken up more cleanly, and turn waiting isn't quite as screwed up.

I dunno, can someone explain the new mechanism? It's better, even though they both run on ATB. But I can't really put into words what is different.
author=bulmabriefs144
The one thing that seriously messed me up about 2k3 (either one) was this.

I had code that used a counter to count to a point, then it would set that to 0 and set a switch on (reverse order, I think). Another variable would count upward, based on hero turns. Kinda a manual Turn-Based override. However, there's a couple problems with this.

This actually works better in new 2k3, despite the code not actually built to turn based. Some of this is because turns are broken up more cleanly, and turn waiting isn't quite as screwed up.

I dunno, can someone explain the new mechanism? It's better, even though they both run on ATB. But I can't really put into words what is different.

I think Cherry and Co. have boosted the ATB a little bit so the battles are running faster now. Actually, I really think that the default battles are very customizable, but in order to accomplish something, let us say, decent, you must work on it very hard. And I am talking about this without taking into consideration patches and such.

Regards!

What I'm saying is that it seems to be beyond a simple speed patch. I boosted speed to 8x, and watched it basically break my code. This is more like... the code is cleaner somehow. Love to know what was done here.
author=bulmabriefs144
What I'm saying is that it seems to be beyond a simple speed patch. I boosted speed to 8x, and watched it basically break my code. This is more like... the code is cleaner somehow. Love to know what was done here.

What do you mean by "code"? Are you refering to the actual code the program was written with or the "code" (events and such) used to make things on Maker 2003?

I do not think they have touched the code itself because, as it was stated before, EB! lost it so yeah, I guess that every improvement Cherry and Co. have made are just patches and I am really glad they did that to the program.

Regards!
The 2k3 pseudocode, the faster_atb plugin basically messed with it. I usually refer to C++ plugin stuff as script. I think.

No, I think they recoded the engine. There is signficant design changes, none of which can be done with a simple patch (or I'd have some serious mods by now). To say nothing of the fact that simply patching over another version would likely be illegal.
bulma, go read the first post again. There's a list of changes linked and one of them details just how the speed was changed.
Some questions that I'm looking for more information on concerning the new version.

1. I've applied a fair number of patches in the past to the old rm2k3 program. From what I've read these patches won't work with v1.10. Are there plans to either make them work or implement them directly? The patches I can remember that aren't duplicated with items already in the change log: fixed width font when editing message boxes, reference picture by variable, increase maximum stats, using the "ultimate" editor, no row in battle. It sounds like the reflect fix is on the way, but that's another patch I'm using.

2. Is there a fix for "Link To Event" (one of the battle menu options)? I saw it referenced in the thread but didn't see anything that indicated it was fixed.

3. If I'm reading things correctly, it looks like DynRPG is going to be compatible in a future release. Is that true?

4. If we buy the non-Steam version (which would be my preference), how do future updates come through? Are those only free if we buy it through Steam?

Thanks Cherry and Archeia for your work in this! I definitely plan on buying it, once things get a bit more finalized.
1 - Probably not. They break the EULA.

2 - Not sure.

3 - Still not sure. It's a very slim possibility.

4 - You would probably have to redownload and check back every now and then to see if there was an update.