THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I bought the steam version of rpg2k3 since i was still using retail version from 2004 and it didn't play mp3 files. It's taking me a while to adapt since lots of terms and events changed names (for example "Move Event" is not "Set Move Route", etc).

I was wondering if the bug sated reported will affect WAV sound effects too, since i'm using custom sound effects called "Blow1", "Cursor1" and others which have same-named counterparts in the RTP. If i export the game with the RTP included, will these files get overwritten?
author=Cherry
Not sure what you mean.

This works fine for me:

When I run this event, I see "Please press the Right key" and then it will wait until I press the Right key, and only then it will show "Thanks"...

Okay, I guess I don't understand how this thing works then. I had multiple things checked, and it wouldn't fire off except by common event and conditions. Lemme try that. That does indeed work. I wasn't aware that you could do it this way. The way I did it, I saw a black screen, because I thought it was skipping. Actually, it must have been accepting what I was pushing and continuing to the next line (which was cycling back to start)
author=Mirak
I bought the steam version of rpg2k3 since i was still using retail version from 2004 and it didn't play mp3 files. It's taking me a while to adapt since lots of terms and events changed names (for example "Move Event" is not "Set Move Route", etc).

I was wondering if the bug sated reported will affect WAV sound effects too, since i'm using custom sound effects called "Blow1", "Cursor1" and others which have same-named counterparts in the RTP. If i export the game with the RTP included, will these files get overwritten?

A possible solution would be this: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/44187-rm2k-game-installer-bug-and-sharing-games/#entry442130

...You can then also build the installer yourself, for example using WinRAR's feature for self-extracting archives.
Mirak
You still need to make the rtp installer once if you don't want the game nagging at you for not including the rtp. Making a rar installer doesn't solve the fact that you're not including the RTP with the game.

You could argue that you can force the game to play without the rtp by editing the ini file in the game folder but then, if you used *any* resource from the rtp, like default battle animations for example, the game would report a missing file. You'd have to import the necessary files one by one, what an unnecesary and tiresome chore.
Mirak
Good idea. I'll try that out.
author=Mirak
You still need to make the rtp installer once if you don't want the game nagging at you for not including the rtp. Making a rar installer doesn't solve the fact that you're not including the RTP with the game.

Did you take a look at the link I just posted? It describes how to stop the game from requesting the RTP.
Eh... did I misunderstand something here?

As I understood it, the problem was that the "Include RTP" option would overwrite custom files. So my suggestion was not using the option, but instead preparing the project as needed (i.e. with those additional required RTP files included, or just by copying the whole RTP into the project but telling Windows not to overwrite files), then setting the flag I just mentioned, and then wrapping everything up using WinRAR.
Including the whole RTP is a bad practice! Don't do that.

Use this instead:
http://rpgmakertimes-companion.blogspot.com/2010/03/rmtool.html

99% of the time it works great, but it occasionally misses files. I think it was built for RM2000, so any of the 2k3 folders (System2, etc) will be skipped.
Mirak
author=PepsiOtaku
Including the whole RTP is a bad practice! Don't do that.
I like to think that such train of thought was appropiate in 2003-2007, but we live in an age where the average hard drive has more than 500GB of space, if not 1TB. I'm pretty sure people can stomach 17.2MB of additional data that provides a guaranteed bugless playable experience rather than risk your game to experience a game crashing missing file at some point. Like, i totally optimize rpgXP and Ace's games for them not to include the RTP but 2003? Come on.
author=Cherry
Did you take a look at the link I just posted? It describes how to stop the game from requesting the RTP.
Yes i did, you cut off my response to that when you quoted me
author=Mirak
You could argue that you can force the game to play without the rtp by editing the ini file in the game folder but then, if you used *any* resource from the rtp, like default battle animations for example, the game would report a missing file. You'd have to import the necessary files one by one, what an unnecesary and tiresome chore.
author=Mirak
I like to think that such train of thought was appropiate in 2003-2007, but we live in an age where the average hard drive has more than 500GB of space, if not 1TB. I'm pretty sure people can stomach 17.2MB of additional data that provides a guaranteed bugless playable experience rather than risk your game to experience a game crashing missing file at some point.

IMO that's lazy. It's one thing if you are a beginner and just want to get your game out there--fine, whatever, but you should hold yourself to higher standards than that. If you're making a game, you should know what resources you add to it. Don't make your players download extra crap that doesn't need to be there. Add resources to your game folders while you're making it, so you don't have to use something like RMTool in the first place.
There's two types of lazy, however. Supposing you do use the rtp files, and the other person doesn't have RTP. You've effectively screwed them over. The middle ground is to have a CommonRTP file in there, so if they don't have it, they can, you know, click on the thing and install it. If not, they can delete it to save space. If they're too lazy to look inside the folder, well, we probably shouldn't have this conversation about laziness.
Oh, one thing I forgot to bring up is a little tip I picked up. Let's say you have FullPackageFlag=1 setup, and have as many files in your folders that you could find, but need to find some stragglers.

1. Rename your RTP folder "RTP-real" or something like that
2. Add a blank "RTP" folder so 2k3 will still boot up
3. You can then play through your game like someone who doesn't have the RTP installed, because it will error out if there are any files missing (since it's only looking in the "RTP" folder as opposed to "RTP-real" where all the actual files are.

When you're done, change the folder name back, profit, etc.
Maybe someone brought this up, but... I know the White Magic game has a custom font. How do you change the fonts from default (preferably without violating the ToS)?
You either use the font changer (it's a patcher that changes the font) or take the default fonts and edit them, then package the game with those fonts (though people will have to change their fonts back to the proper ones after playing your game. It'd be annoying.)

So, font changer is legit then? Wasn't sure.
I thought the official release used an internal font that currently couldn't be changed? Link to my post and Cherry's reply

e: actually I'm illiterate and misremembered (then misread going back to find it) Cherry's response