THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

author=Cherry
Whoohoo! RM2k3 v1.12 is out!

Check out the full changelog at http://tinyurl.com/rm2003cl
Until tomorrow there is a -50% sale on RMW Store, for those of you who didn't buy the official version yet: http://store.rpgmakerweb.com - only $9.99! (Discount is applied only after adding to cart)

The update is also in Steam.
Enjoy! :)

Most important points:
- Basically an official PicPointerPatch: Variables for ID, filename suffix, transparency, zoom... (even support games which previously used the PicPointerPatch)
- Pictures in multiple layers (e.g. above tileset, above messagebox...)
- Pictures in battle
- Spritesheets, also with automatic animation
- You can select which screen effects to apply to each picture
- Resizable windows in the editor (finally)
- D-pad support on the gamepad
- "This Event" working in common events (referencing the calling map event)
- Various bugfixes

Yes! Variables for picture IDs is like a dream coming true, been wanting that for ages.
At least I'm not the only one excited. I can finally realise all the fancy stuff I wanted to accomplish in battles. I'll be making good use of all the new snazzy things you can do with pictures.
Cherry,

This is amazing work! I appreciate your dedication to this software.

Thanks again!
This is great. Whipping the Credit Card out now.

EDIT: Discount is not working out for me :(
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Thank you very much for this update! I'm glad to see the software is still being supported and upgraded.

Will play around with pictures now! :D
OH CRAP
I got the "store.rpgmakerweb.com" from the newsletter.
Now it turns out, the discount is only on "www.rpgmakerweb.com" and not "store.rpgmakerweb.com" for a weird reason! D: What do I do, this image of mine already spread all over the Internet...

Use this link: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-2003

(But now I wonder if the new version is uploaded on both sites?! Unfortunately the people in charge are currently asleep, I think - other timezone)
if it aint broke don't fix it

also, D-pad support on the gamepad!

E:
I wonder what 'This Event' does in Common Events called from the Battle system...?
The Alt-F12 reset change is excellent and I hope VXA gets the same treatment if it ever gets updated.
@kentona: It will crash with "Invalid Event" just as it always did, same if you use it from a common event which is PP or autostart and not called by a map event (directly or indirectly).

@Sated: I'd be more on the "refactor it" side, because it is actually fun to refactor something with new cool and easy tools, and it will make your code more readable for yourself in the future and less likely to contain bugs (due to decreased complexity).
"This Event" in common events is a BIG FUCKING DEAL!

Nice work, Cherry.
Quick question: things like Animated Enemies, for instance, and extended capabilities are something you couldn't include? Or are they on the table for the future?
I have been waiting for this day since the newest changes were first announced, and built some utilities specifically to support the sprite sheets and reference picture by number options. Check them out! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sprite Sheet Creator
Tool to convert your mass of individual images into the new sprite sheet format for rm2k3. If the finished sprite sheet has fewer than 256 colors, you can export into a valid rm2k3 format directly from the program. Otherwise, you can export as full color and use another program to generate a "closest match" approximation for each color.

Picture Text Creator
Helps with creation of custom picture-based menus by allowing creation, editing, and saving of text to images. For example, you can type out all of your item names, select a font, and export to get rm2k3 compatible images named with prefix and numbers (such as Item_0001.png, Item_0002.png, etc). Saving the list also allows you to go back, fix a typo, and export again using the same naming convention (essentially allowing you to edit existing images by simply typing in the new letters). It also supports background images, glyphs, and custom fonts, giving you significant control over the output. I haven't gotten around to writing proper documentation for this program yet, but it's seriously pretty cool and designed specifically for use with what Cherry's done here, so I encourage you to push past the initial learning hurdle.
Nice hedge, these will be helpful. Thanks.
Jesus Christ, I would have killed to have these features about a year ago. Variable IDs for Pictures!!! That would have saved me at least a good few weeks of development on DQ+. But I've worked around a lot of it. I'll have to buy this tomorrow just to play around with it. Good stuff guys.

And wait...this means I could make my own database in the database...for picture based dynamic inventory systems...hmm...I'm seriously considering moving my game to this engine instead. If only there was OGG support.
@Large: since there is no budget, the probability is low that this will happen in an update anytime soon because it requires a substantial amount of work and the 2k3 BS is still a bit black magic to me technically.
author=Cherry
Whoohoo! RM2k3 v1.12 is out!

Check out the full changelog at http://tinyurl.com/rm2003cl
Until tomorrow there is a -50% sale on RMW Store, for those of you who didn't buy the official version yet: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-2003 - only $9.99! (Discount is applied only after adding to cart)

The update is also in Steam.
Enjoy! :)

Most important points:
- Basically an official PicPointerPatch: Variables for ID, filename suffix, transparency, zoom... (even support games which previously used the PicPointerPatch)
- Pictures in multiple layers (e.g. above tileset, above messagebox...)
- Pictures in battle
- Spritesheets, also with automatic animation
- You can select which screen effects to apply to each picture
- Resizable windows in the editor (finally)
- D-pad support on the gamepad
- "This Event" working in common events (referencing the calling map event)
- Various bugfixes

That image is so 90s... Glad to see it still get's updates :)
Automatic Animations? You got my interest.

This will greatly improve various converted projects if the Author so desires.
I'm really liking the new picture stuffs. But one additional option that would be nice on After End in animated spritesheets would be to stop at the last frame.
@Momeka: That is a nice idea. I can imagine several cases where this could be useful, yes. Let me note it down.