THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

The battle system doesn't always trigger the events. Here are my notes on the subject, which should help explain the issues you're having. These issues are consistent with version 1.08 and 1.11. I have not gone through and checked them again for the newly released 1.12. If you see anything you think is wrong, or something you don't understand, let me know.
Notes:
** If the monster (or probably anyone) is Poisoned and takes damage, nothing extra is triggered.
** Conditional branch actions (like Monster Target) occur based upon the original trigger.
** Monster target can also be wonky depending upon which trigger you put it in, as it can trigger that the monster is the target even though it's the monster's attack if you buffer your attack in while the monster is attempting to attack.
** Skills targeting anything other than yourself do not require any stat selected (HP, MP, Attack, etc) for it to trigger all of the standard damage, etc. formulas.
** HP visual is updated fairly randomly -- I've seen it as early as "Variable Change" and as late as after "Hero HP"
** Items, even Scrolls, never trigger anything after damage is dealt.
** Item switches DO trigger everything, but since you can't do any targeting with switches, your options are limited.
** Triggers before the damage is dealt occur in the order in which they appear in Battle Events. The same is true for triggers that occur after the damage is dealt. The two types (before and after), however, never mix.
** If HP alterations are made after damage is dealt from a skill, the HP alteration will override the damage display. This is not true if the damage is done through a basic attack (the Fight command). This does not apply if MP was changed rather than HP.
** Post-damage triggers sometimes don't occur after healing. It is inconsistent, and I haven't been able to figure out what causes it to work or not work.
** AOEs seem to act like single target abilities, though I have not tested this extensively.
** If two monsters act very close to each other, if the first uses a skill, the 2nd's action won't trigger post-damage triggers (like variable change or party exhaustion).
** If a spell is cast on self, it sometimes does not trigger the post-damage triggers (I've noticed that when it stops working, it tends to be broken for a couple of turns, but otherwise works most of the time).

Battle Begins (these appear in the order they are in the Monster Group):
Variable change
Turn taken
Monster takes turn
Hero1 takes turn
Hero2 takes turn (this appeared even when Hero2 wasn't in the party)
Party exhaustion
Turn

Hero1 Fights or uses Skill against enemy:
Turn taken
Hero1 takes turn
Hero1 uses the <fight or skill> command
(Skill name appears if not Fight)
(Animation)
(Damage or healing, unless there is none)
(MP removed for cost of skill)
Variable change
Party exhaustion
Monster HP check (for all of monsters, alive or dead)
Hero HP check (for all heroes in current party, alive or dead)

Hero1 uses Skill on ally or self:
Turn taken
Hero1 takes turn
Hero1 uses the <fight or skill> command
(Animation)
(MP removed for cost of skill)
Other triggers like Variable change sometimes work here, but often do not (I haven't figured out why yet)

Hero1 Defends:
Turn taken
Hero1 takes turn

Hero1 Item:
Turn taken
Hero1 takes turn
Hero1 uses the <item> command
(Item name appears)
(Animation)

Monster Acts:
Turn taken
Monster takes turn
(Animation)
Variable change
Party exhaustion
Monster HP check (for all of monsters, alive or dead)
Hero HP check (for all heroes in current party, alive or dead)

I don't think I changed anything regarding to battle events (for that exact reason, that it is all a little bit like (sloppy) black magic to what's going on there, so I wouldn't know what I'm doing when trying to tweak something there). Everything I changed, even small details, I put in the changelog too.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
The latest version of 1.12 downloadable from the RPGMakerWeb site triggers Windows Defender. It keeps trying to delete the file no matter how many times I try to stop it. It's clean in virtually every other antivirus software in existence, but since it runs default on most new versions of Windows I thought I'd bring it up!
For me it doesn't happen (I have Defender enabled as well)... It's problematic of course, but the only thing we can do, probably, is submit a false positive report...
Windows Defender has a settings mechanic. I think you can add the file to list of excluded programs, or when it tries to delete I think you can change it to quarantine, then tell it "this is not a virus."
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Yeah, I sent an analysis report to Microsoft and have the file whitelisted in the meantime. That doesn't stop Windows Defender from continuing to bother me about it though. >:E
Sorry for topic kicking, but got some random suggestion. Not sure how feasible they are but figured I'd throw them out there.

First off being able to set switches and variables values to what they are on other save slots. The most obvious use for this would be to change your custom title screens depending on how far into the game you are. Or have a new game + available if you beaten the game once with out having to load to just end up at the title screen again with extra options. Or be used to have unlockable galleries and extras in title screen.
It could also be used to change stuff in a new game depending on things the player has done on previous saves.

Secondly an Auto Save command that just saves to slot 1 without bringing up save menus and stuff. If possible it would be nice to have dedicated auto save slot or just change the name of the first slot to "Auto" or something like that.
hey, trying to get back into 2k3... is the official English version better than the fan unofficial translated + patches? Does it have Mouse + Keyboard patch support?
author=TGM
is the official English version better than the fan unofficial translated + patches?

It depends. Obviously, if you’re making a straight up RPG, or one that doesn’t take advantage of any of the DynRPG plugin’s or patches for it, than the official version is the way to go, due to it being able to run on most newer operating systems and having some extra features implemented in it, like being able to create your custom title page and such, that the unofficial version doesn’t have. But if you need to use a particular patch for your game, like, for instance, in my game I’m using an auto-save patch that the official version doesn’t have implemented in as of yet, then the unofficial version is the way to go, since I really want to use that patch.

In retrospect, it doesn’t really matter all that much what you ultimately end up using, as it depends mainly on what extra features you want implemented for your game via patches that the official version doesn’t have yet. But the official version IS much superior to the unofficial version if you just plan on making what’s already given to you by default that’s included with the maker.

author=TGM
Does it have Mouse + Keyboard patch support?

As for mouse support, the official version doesn’t have that in yet. For keyboard support (I’m guessing the patch that uses the entire keyboard for key combinations?), it doesn’t have that in either.
Maybe this is crazy, but this should be work with official RM2k3: http://cherrytree.at/cms/lang/en/download/?did=4

I not tested this, but if harmony.dll file is this same as unofficial RM2k3, this can work. Of course you lost MP3, but you may use disharmony patch.

So Force Harmony + Inelukis Key Patch + Disharmony Patch, and you may have mouse and keyboard support with more music format.

But I not tested this, so this can not work...
author=Addit
author=TGM
is the official English version better than the fan unofficial translated + patches?
It depends. Obviously, if you’re making a straight up RPG, or one that doesn’t take advantage of any of the DynRPG plugin’s or patches for it, than the official version is the way to go, due to it being able to run on most newer operating systems and having some extra features implemented in it, like being able to create your custom title page and such, that the unofficial version doesn’t have. But if you need to use a particular patch for your game, like, for instance, in my game I’m using an auto-save patch that the official version doesn’t have implemented in as of yet, then the unofficial version is the way to go, since I really want to use that patch.

In retrospect, it doesn’t really matter all that much what you ultimately end up using, as it depends mainly on what extra features you want implemented for your game via patches that the official version doesn’t have yet. But the official version IS much superior to the unofficial version if you just plan on making what’s already given to you by default that’s included with the maker.

author=TGM
Does it have Mouse + Keyboard patch support?

As for mouse support, the official version doesn’t have that in yet. For keyboard support (I’m guessing the patch that uses the entire keyboard for key combinations?), it doesn’t have that in either.

Thanks for the in-depth breakdown.From what you're saying, Im more of a CMS / CBS guy so I guess the unofficial version is the best for me for now, especially with the plugins. But i love that the official version is so noob-friendly now. Hopefully we get some new people.

But that horizontal scrollbar for common events... yeah I need that lol

author=Dragon_Kamillo
Maybe this is crazy, but this should be work with official RM2k3: http://cherrytree.at/cms/lang/en/download/?did=4

I not tested this, but if harmony.dll file is this same as unofficial RM2k3, this can work. Of course you lost MP3, but you may use disharmony patch.

So Force Harmony + t + Disharmony Patch, and you may have mouse and keyboard support with more music format.

But I not tested this, so this can not work...

yeah I'll try this tomorrow and report back. RM2k3 is $4 on Steam, worth an experiment or two.
Quick questions:

Does the 1.12 version support 32bit color depth for Pictures? Or are we still forced to used 256 colors?

Also, is there a way for the Hero to be moved freely while a message box is displayed?

Thanks!
@Large

I think it's still 256.

As for the text box, I'm sure if you select DISPLAY TEXT OPTIONS and select 'Allow Other Events to Move' a character can move about while a text box is on the screen.
author=twentyfour24
As for the text box, I'm sure if you select DISPLAY TEXT OPTIONS and select 'Allow Other Events to Move' a character can move about while a text box is on the screen.

Characters, yes (you can move events), but I meant the hero, as in the player controlling him.

To give you an example, Final Fantasy vs Chrono Trigger. In the first, you walk to an NPC and talk to her, you have to let her finish the text box before walking away; in CT, you can walk up, talk, and move while she's talking (It even closes the text box automatically if the hero is far enough, not letting the text finish).
@Large

I thought that's how you did that, but I just tried it out -- like you said, no dice. I'm not an expert, but I think the only way you could do that is with pictures and parallel processes.
I am loathe to be that person, but I have a request.

Vertical shake! :)
AkarithePeanut
A lazy teenager's spirit in a mid 20 adult's body
Sorry for interrumping that interesting conversation, cheers for rpgmaker banzaiiiii!! Now please keep discussing