DEADER THAN USUAL?

Pages: first 12 next last
Is it just me, or is RMN deader than usual?

I do see a relatively constant stream of submittals to the database, but the number of posts have dropped off precipitously. Why is that?

I am often the only one logged in at any given time, to boot. Generica is stagnating, there are no contests or anything, no one (including me) is posting updates about their games, and few new people are joining.

What can we do about it?

We have excellent and interesting conversations on #rm2k on irc, can we devote some of that energy to RMN? I can't always be on irc, and I feel like I am missing out on a lot. If we strike up a good conversation topic in #rm2k, I think we should consider making a post on RMN.

We can do more to attract new members, but I'm not sure what. I guess add things to our sigs. We could start some community-sponsored projects and contests to get people here. I don't know, I'm not a marketer.

We could expand the forums to include more generalized topics, like movies or literature, or something. We could even consider some of those old stalwarts "Post what's on your mind" and "Links to stuff".

Where's Brickroad?
Isn't this site still kind of new? And besides, the RPG Maker fanbase is kind of dying. :-[
author=Tsukuru link=topic=178.msg2436#msg2436 date=1186691193
Isn't this site still kind of new? And besides, the RPG Maker fanbase is kind of dying. :-[
It is still new, but just a few weeks ago it was at least 3 times as active. We're barely getting more than 4 posts a day, it seems, in the past 2 weeks.

RM is dying...:(
sorry dudes I've had really bad bloody diahrrea for a while now. But I'm back now.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
author=Tri-tail link=topic=178.msg2454#msg2454 date=1186698008
sorry dudes I've had really bad bloody diahrrea for a while now. But I'm back now.

Thanks for the update.
author=rcholbert link=topic=178.msg2457#msg2457 date=1186699041
author=Tri-tail link=topic=178.msg2454#msg2454 date=1186698008

Thanks for the update.
Hey I heard you were going to be the next Alex. Man everybody went and did so well for themselves while I was away.
Starscream
author=Tri-tail link=topic=178.msg2459#msg2459 date=1186699996
]Hey I heard you were going to be the next Alex. Man everybody went and did so well for themselves while I was away.

I'm the macaroni with the cheese.

The forums have been lifeless recently, though they have started to pick back up in the last few days. Brickroad is off somewhere being a dick. He abandoned #rm2k because they weren't being elitist enough or something. Rumor has it he's given his soul back to WoW. He'll come back. They ALWAYS do.

...believe me. I've tried. =(
That would be cool if you could hire bounty hunters on people that have been playing WoW for longer than 3 hours a day and/or are otherwise missing with reasons relating to WoW. I'd watch that show.... COPS with pasty fat rolls and purple night elf wigs.
Recent pick-up after a very dead period? This is the third or fourth community in which I've seen the same thing happen. It's like the Internet disappeared around July 25...

RPG Maker Community- IGP, Township Games, and this site have been through a dead period.
Webcomic Community- Comic Genesis, Drunk Duck and the like have been through a dead period. Same goes with most creator's comics, including my own, picking back up about a week ago.
Artists' Community- Hyatt Art and Deviant Art have had a slow period.

And other sites I've been to besides those have had declining activity. So, now I think the reason things are starting to slowly pick back up is- Schools are going to be starting soon, and people will need things to do to take their minds off it. The same thing happened around this time last year, not really picking up until then Ghostlight's Demo Day.

Then again, it might also be this mind-numbing heat, as 90s and 100s cover much of North America, and probably most other places in the Northern Hemisphere. We are in the peak of summer, after all. Give it a few weeks. Temperatures will cool down and visits will come up.
More people need to have no life like I do.
kentona
no one (including me) is posting updates about their games
I resent that remark; I've been updating my game at least every two weeks to a month. It's a little hard to see, since when I edited them for titles, it picked up that date as the date posted. >.<

However, activity has dropped a bit. The only remedy is for people to pick up the slack. I like the idea of the WoW police, though. That's certainly a silly reason to leave someplace you've been for a while. Though, in all honesty, it's more like #rm2k wasn't "racist" enough (I use that word lightly, since I can't think of a better alternative) against GW. <.<
author=kentona link=topic=178.msg2452#msg2452 date=1186696608
RM is dying...
:(

Seriously, though, I agree with Trance in that I feel some of the members need to start picking up the slack. Brickroad was one of the most avid contributers to this community, and until he comes back, some other people should consider picking up where he left off. Post your articles and such here on the forums (as well as the site) to help generate discussion, and don't be hesitant in making in general game-design topics because you feel they aren't good enough (as I have been!).

While I know that one such idea is already in the works, I would also like to suggest a contest of some sort that could take place here on RMN. One that is easily approachable by most members here-- and something that offers a reward worthwhile enough to put forth the effort.
author=brandonabley link=topic=178.msg2500#msg2500 date=1186787320
author=trance2 link=topic=178.msg2495#msg2495 date=1186763691
Though, in all honesty, it's more like #rm2k wasn't "racist" enough

I assure you that #rm2k is the most racist chat room on the planet.

I've been posting every day, so nobody can accuse me of not caring! I even uploaded my old game, against my better judgment.
You also deleted my fandom comment on its page. :'(
I've made quite a few posts (more than I normally do, actually), and posted an article. I'm not sure what else I can do to keep activity up. I guess I can think of something...
Starscream
author=brandonabley link=topic=178.msg2500#msg2500 date=1186787320
I assure you that #rm2k is the most racist chat room on the planet.

I've been posting every day, so nobody can accuse me of not caring! I even uploaded my old game, against my better judgment.

The only racist person in #rm2k is iishenron, and strangely enough he's black.
Well in actuality how many people out there make independant games? I think that eventualy the site will attract game makers but I think it should also focus on other stuff. Like what Kentona said, instead of having only four threads there should be a few more just to mingle. For example, off topic, movie chat, debate, or whatever. I think it would make the forums a bit more welcoming, because when someone new arrives they see all this programing lingo and have no idea what's going on so they leave.
Starscream
The reason there are not many forums is because there is not enough activity to justify having them. We also said when the activity goes up we will add new forums based upon what is popular and needed. Right now we should probably remove forums.
Oh, that makes sence. Well I'm all out of ideas :P
Pages: first 12 next last