[RMVX ACE] ARE THERE ANY GAMES WITHOUT THOSE HORRID DEFAULT SPRITES?

Pages: first 12345 next last
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
What it says on the tin. VXA can do a lot for games, but man are those default map sprites lifeless. Hell, even just putting the 2k3 sprites into VXA would benefit a game.
unity
You're magical to me.
I use custom-made map sprites and XP chara sprites for my big VX Ace project ^_^
Magi
Resident Terrapin
I think I had seen an RMVX/A game once that did not have the chibi demon sprites, but then again it might have been a dream. If you showed most VX users an FF6 sprite they would not know what to do with it

Actually, most people use those sprites because most people also use the tiles that come with the program or are in the RMWeb store. They all have that short, blocky aspect which suits the short and stubby look. If you want to find a game without those dumb sprites you'll need to look for something that has full-on original GFX.

hope dis help~
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
http://rpgmaker.net/games/4526/

to make this topic a bit less silly: why all the hate for the rtp? i get not liking it, and there's nothing wrong with that, but why all the spouting off about it all the time? i mean it's been almost eight years, come on. it's more detailed and consistent than the xp rtp at the very least!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
One word, Craze: square.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I really don't mind the map tiles used, but the sprites are dreadful. I can handle shorter sprites, but not when they're perfectly round and lacking depth. It's a bit of a problem a lot of modern RPGs have.

EDIT: And yes it's been 8 years; you'd have expected folks to get better graphics by now.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Like seriously, how many RM2K tilesets were out there by 2008? Why don't we have even 2% that many VX tilesets?
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
I'd point you towards Tristian but Luchi is on Hiatus at the moment, still..

Magi
Resident Terrapin
Those trees are pretty wonky looking but this is a nice thing to see in VXA.

author=Craze
http://rpgmaker.net/games/4526/why all the hate for the rtp? i get not liking it, and there's nothing wrong with that, but why all the spouting off about it all the time? i mean it's been almost eight years, come on. it's more detailed and consistent than the xp rtp at the very least!

I don't have infinite hate energy for the VX style.. There are some pretty decent maps out there, a lot of good looking stuff in Homework Salesman for example. Though, I think those tiles are technically not RTP since they don't ship with the program. They're a similar enough to make the argument though!
Actually if all you are seeing is rtp then you aren't really looking. There are plenty of different looking vxa games out there. And the RTP ones tend to sink and fade away. There are wayyyy fewer rips though compared to 2k/3 days though...that would account for a lot of the perceived sameness with ace vs 2k3 eras.
WIP
author=Archeia_Nessiah
And since I'm a rhymefag

Aren't we all rhymefags?

author=kentona
Actually if all you are seeing is rtp then you aren't really looking. There are plenty of different looking vxa games out there. And the RTP ones tend to sink and fade away. There are wayyyy fewer rips though compared to 2k/3 days though...that would account for a lot of the perceived sameness with ace vs 2k3 eras.

The majority of VXA RPGs I've seen are using the same style as the default RTP sprites. I just went through the frontpage and also the first list of games (with downloads, min. rating of 3 and the RPG tag). There are other genres that have a better spread, sure.
I think people are confusing RTP with RTP style. You can replace the entire Ace RTP with resources purchased from the store, but since many of those were made to work with the RTP, a lot of people are still going to think "here's another rtp game" or something along those lines.

But rips and custom work aside, there's really only 5 styles you can use with Ace - RTP and RTP style, DS/DS+, Old School, Pixel Myth, and High Fantasy. DS and High Fantasy are picking up, but HF is so different that I wonder if it scares off too many people, and Old School and Pixel Myth is so limited because there's just not enough to keep it from being repetitive.

Naturally, people are going to clamor more towards the style that has the most flexibility and offers the most resources.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
the high fantasy set is fugly as hell. pixel myth is great but like you said, really limited.

lockez: it's quadruple the space to work for. 32x32 vs 16x16 is much harder to create it for amateur pixel artists. even luchi's nice-looking tiles are just traced over the RTP and celianna's edits of it.

i will 100% admit that i think the rtp character sets are horrible for serious projects (serious as in tone, not quality/dedication). i love them for the experimental, goofy projects i shit out though.

karsu and i's current project doesn't even use character sets but that's because we're not using maps because neither of us can design a dungeon worth a damn. nodes for the win!??!
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
ur request for original content is denied.
author=Craze
the high fantasy set is fugly as hell. pixel myth is great but like you said, really limited.

I don't think it's so much that it's ugly as it is different and doesn't seem to fit well with the way RPG Maker works, but I'm basing that on trailers and screenshots I've seen and not so much actual experience.

It just looks like it would have worked better on a different piece of software rather than RM, and possibly in 3d, if not isometric. Of course, the more tiles and resources for HF there are, the more consistent it becomes, but still doesn't look right, at least to me.
WIP
Pixel Myth actually looks super great. Are there any games that use it?

Unfortunately it seems tile packs are far more common than sprites.
Well, there's only one VX game (not VX Ace, but VX and VX Ace are pretty much related) I know of that uses almost 100% custom maps and sprites, and it's this:

Unfortunately, it's in Japanese and Chinese only (though fortunate for me since I can understand Japanese and Chinese).
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Who is the author behind pixel myth tiles? Looks like inspired at least by old Inquisitor graphics.

author=WIP
Unfortunately it seems tile packs are far more common than sprites.

No doubt the small selection of characters is due to the built-in charas project tool in VX Ace. Either way, I'm eagerly awaiting the next version of RPG Maker, I have a reliable source who tells me that it will be the first to feature random dialog generation.
@Magi: That would be Sharm. She's one of the mods over at RPGMakerweb ( RMW ). Oh, and Tristy's being made with VX. Same style as Ace, but yeah.
@WIP: I know for a fact emmych's Origin is using that tileset.
Pages: first 12345 next last