[RMVX ACE] ARE THERE ANY GAMES WITHOUT THOSE HORRID DEFAULT SPRITES?

author=Feldschlacht IV
i use rips and i dunno I'm a p cool guy sometimes

You might be a sinner in disguise. We'll need to do a full checkup.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=CashmereCat
<redacted, my argument was false ;)>

Games have always been a combination of senses (video and audio) combined with controls and mechanics. Good games have all of those things.

ADOM? Nethack? Dwarf Fortress? You might say "these games had a visual identity" but that's not the point I was making. The point I was making was that these games didn't focus on the graphics and it got them bogged down so they spent several days working on making their screenshots look pretty but their game plays like a railroad space-masher. I was saying an anachronism that games got better when we focussed less on graphics and more on gameplay... because we almost used to focus solely on graphics to judge whether a game is great or not, but that's simply not an accurate measure of a game's greatness. We still do.

But your game needs to have a visual (and aural) identity as well as a mechanical one.

A visual identity? What does this even mean? Every game has a visual identity. Doesn't mean they have a pleasing one, sure, but every game has a visual identity. If you mean that a game has a consistent visual style or a pleasing one, I'd still argue that you don't need one in order to be a good game. Some old DOS or SNES games looked pretty shit, yet they were still great games.

Nethack and Dwarf Fortress both have their own look to them. An ugly look is still a look and they are both better for it. I'd also make the argument that they would be better games if they looked better. They have found success despite their terrible graphics, not because of it. Yes, you can succeed with terrible graphics (as your examples have shown). They would be better games if they had better graphics.

Also Dwarf Fortress probably has one of the worst UIs on the whole planet and should be ashamed of itself.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=WIP
Nethack and Dwarf Fortress both have their own look to them.

Well, of course, everything that transmits visual data has their own look. Are you arguing that every video game has a look? Because if so, I'd agree. Just by virtue of having graphics, they have a look. Every visible thing has a look.

author=WIP
They have found success despite their terrible graphics, not because of it. Yes, you can succeed with terrible graphics (as your examples have shown). They would be better games if they had better graphics.

Yeah, well I guess there's mods out there that provide graphical upgrades. Personally I prefer the ASCII version, it's just easier for me to see what everything is at a glance. Yeah, the UI's probably crap, but I mean it's one of the most complex games of all time, it'll do. Combined with the fact that it was created iteratively with not the entire goal in mind, more of a "hey, let's add this" and "OK, let's add this now" kind of mentality, and over the course of 9 or so years that's gonna create one confusing mess of an interface.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=Feldschlacht IV
i use rips and i dunno I'm a p cool guy sometimes

Ye gods, have a bit of self respect old buddy. The social media's gonna eat you for breakfast and save the bones for stew. If you aren't constantly asserting your cool it will be perceived as a sign of weakness.

author=Craze
but when i see surlent from rudras going from being a male undead scholar to a female valkyrie or something (this isn't an attack on balmung, just the first thing to come to mind), i lose a little something. i see surlent, not <that chick>.

I see your point. Though, you might say that it was... a creative spin on the source material
author=Craze
ALSO YOU SAID WHERE THE GRAPHICS COME FROM DOESN'T MATTER AND THAT'S SO FALSE. the rtp is just vanilla, meant to be an "everygame" thing. one of the biggest reasons to edit your rtp characters is to make them not just Ralph (unless you're me and try to own the rtp for yourself like an asshole). but when i see surlent from rudras going from being a male undead scholar to a female valkyrie or something (this isn't an attack on balmung, just the first thing to come to mind), i lose a little something.

anyway continue disliking me and my stance on mapping/everything if you want, it can be mutual! or we could be friendly and i'll bite my tongue instead of saying "ur gam sux omega lol". like, bite my tongue clean off and mail it to you. because friendship. i have plenty of other people to pick on for being more effective jerks than you !!

Edit: Eh, if it were just a respectful difference of opinion, then I could agree to disagree. But it comes off like an obviously a pointed comment if you're calling out games that use ripped graphics for the "flaw of unoriginality" or 'lack of talent' etc. What point are you trying to make? That there's some moral or creative shortcoming to using rips that the community has supported for 10+ years?

It's just pretty obvious from your past comments where you stand. You're evaluating these projects based on something so arbitrary as the source of their tiles, not the merit of the games themselves. I think it's disrespectful. I'm not sure why I'm the only one who notices or takes issue with that, but yeah, it's insulting/ignorant.

Lol I personally could care less if you want to make tired cracks at my game, but you're also insulting others (a friend of mine KoopaKush for example) for no reason.

Correct me if I'm reading it incorrectly. I certainly hope that I am.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Blindmind
LOL oh please dude. Stop acting like the whiny victim in this whole discussion.

I am the chipset victim. This is my story.

Blindmind
Like, it's obviously a pointed comment if you're calling out games that use ripped graphics for the flaw of unoriginality or 'lack of talent', when the RPGMaker Web crowd literally embodies such a thing. It's just pretty obvious from your past comments where you stand.

What. I said that the maps are often not superior to the original games' maps and that there is more variety to be ripped. Rudras is a beautiful and bizarre game and I don't really see much that surpasses it. If that is calling out, treat it as a challenge!

And yes I know you hate the vx rtp stop saying it we get it I already replied to that line of thought blindmind plz you're not furthering a conversation

Blindmind
You're evaluating these projects based on the source of their tiles, not the games themselves, and therein lies the absense of logic or creative respect. I'm not sure why I'm the only one who notices or takes issue with that, but it's insultingly ignorant.

Lol what??? After making a post explaining why I'm not the biggest fan of rips, but that any battle between rips and no rips is pointless, all you wanna do is say "craze thinks rips are the devil." I'm gonna do a heavenly kegel and tear the rip-devil's extremity off... with my prayers

I'm not evaluating a game's worth based on its mapping, I'm evaluating mapping based on mapping. If McCarthy were to ask me if I enjoyed games with rips, I would say: some! Leo & Leah comes to mind. I think Oathguard is dead but it looked cool. Exit Fate is one of my favorite rm* games. (I feel very silly saying this and bothering to explain myself because this feels like the "but I have a black friend!" argument. "I swear I don't hate games without reason! I like some games with rips! I'm not a rippist!")

I think you're the only one who takes offense, because I generally try to be a meaningful member of the community! I'm not perfectly behaved but if u can't handle me with my rtp u don't deserve me when I'm polite *z-snap*

...to clarify I'm not saying I on " on the side of rtp " there. I don't believe there are any worthwhile sides at this point. Which I've said. A lot.

Blindmind
I personally could care less if you want to make tired cracks at my game, but even more than that, there are dozens of our peers who have used predominantly unoriginal tiles. Tbh, I'm annoyed on their behalf. When you phrase your statements the way you have, you're essentially equating it with laziness and lack of vision, when there's so much more that goes into the whole of a game's design and effectiveness.

Haha idk man, correct me if I'm reading it wrong! I certainly hope that I am!

They wouldn't be tired if you finished it ;V

And yes. Anybody who does not take small steps to improve their craft is lazy and has a lack of vision. Also anybody who doesn't use tiles made specifically for their game is using unoriginal tiles. Are you annoyed on almost everybody's behalf now?!

Also if anybody uses that shitty light overlay from ara fell I WILL mock you so if you need me to be a hater, use that to justify it please (instead of saying that I hate everything and am an ignorant idiot and that rmweb is inherently bad because not every project is stellar)

two-hour-later edit: sorry for shitting your thread up wip ;V

eleven-hour-later edit: my tablet changed "ara" to "area". c'mon tablet you should know and praise the densetsu hollow
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Can a mod pls rename this "the drama thread"?
Well, we're dealing with a blind mind. Badum-Tzz.

yeah, that was bad.
But seriously, dude. You were brought up as a random example. Craze used himself as an example and added one more to get his point across - that rips can be used badly as well, making it possibly even worse than RTP.
There was no personal offence in his post, it was a calm, neutral, clean post and you should be just as calm.
You're acting like an idiot for everyone else, and I'm sure you're not.
(and we all know craze likes to poke if it comes to such a point, it's even in his title!)
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
can we get back to how ugly vxa's rtp sprites are. god
author=Blindmind
author=Craze
ALSO YOU SAID WHERE THE GRAPHICS COME FROM DOESN'T MATTER AND THAT'S SO FALSE. the rtp is just vanilla, meant to be an "everygame" thing. one of the biggest reasons to edit your rtp characters is to make them not just Ralph (unless you're me and try to own the rtp for yourself like an asshole). but when i see surlent from rudras going from being a male undead scholar to a female valkyrie or something (this isn't an attack on balmung, just the first thing to come to mind), i lose a little something.

anyway continue disliking me and my stance on mapping/everything if you want, it can be mutual! or we could be friendly and i'll bite my tongue instead of saying "ur gam sux omega lol". like, bite my tongue clean off and mail it to you. because friendship. i have plenty of other people to pick on for being more effective jerks than you !!
LOL oh please dude. Stop acting like the whiny victim in this whole discussion.

Like, it's obviously a pointed comment if you're calling out games that use ripped graphics for the flaw of unoriginality or 'lack of talent', when the RPGMaker Web crowd literally embodies such a thing. It's just pretty obvious from your past comments where you stand. You're evaluating these projects based on the source of their tiles, not the games themselves, and therein lies the absense of logic or creative respect. I'm not sure why I'm the only one who notices or takes issue with that, but it's insultingly ignorant.

I personally could care less if you want to make tired cracks at my game, but even more than that, there are dozens of our peers who have used predominantly unoriginal tiles. Tbh, I'm annoyed on their behalf. When you phrase your statements the way you have, you're essentially equating it with laziness and lack of vision, when there's so much more that goes into the whole of a game's design and effectiveness.

Haha idk man, correct me if I'm reading it wrong! I certainly hope that I am!

yeah - you're exactly right blind, rips didn't make beloved rapture bad. shit writing, gameplay and your absolute refusal to improve any of it did. that you're still trying to defend yourself under the pretense of people being 'racist' against rips is just tragic, frankly.

but yeah, anyway - are you seriously trying to protect your ego by implying their are a whole ton of people 'offended' by craze's statements? you're not fooling anybody, bucko. that metaphorical umbrella you set up for yourself is very lonely.

but please do continue pretending this isn't all about you. it's comedy fucking gold.
Craze
WIP
can we get back to how ugly vxa's rtp sprites are. god

what if you turned them all into preteens!?

http://rpgmaker.net/games/7178/
ESBY
extreme disappointment
Blindmind
for the flaw of unoriginality or 'lack of talent', when the RPGMaker Web crowd literally embodies such a thing.
Have you got a reason for thinking that other than pettiness, or are you really just that dumb?
author=Karsuman
yeah - you're exactly right blind, rips didn't make beloved rapture bad. shit writing, gameplay and your absolute refusal to improve any of it did. that you're still trying to defend yourself under the pretense of people being 'racist' against rips is just tragic, frankly.

but yeah, anyway - are you seriously trying to protect your ego by implying their are a whole ton of people 'offended' by craze's statements? you're not fooling anybody, bucko. that metaphorical umbrella you set up for yourself is very lonely.

but please do continue pretending this isn't all about you. it's comedy fucking gold.

I didn't say anything about Beloved Rapture once in this topic, but thanks for making it personal. If we're getting our facts straight tbh, it has more subscribers than any game you've been associated with. So I'm pretty sure your comments can be taken with a grain of salt, lol.

author=ESBY
Blindmind
for the flaw of unoriginality or 'lack of talent', when the RPGMaker Web crowd literally embodies such a thing.
Have you got a reason for thinking that other than pettiness, or are you really just that dumb?

All taken from different threads (at random) from the first page of RMW Game Development Forums:

Speaks for itself.

if you're a member there, it's nothing personal. Just a general summation.

Anyhow, I'm done with this discussion. I have no desire for it to get nasty or to waste my breath on anyone who obviously has very different ideas about aesthetics, the RTP and the community in general. For what it's worth, Craze also called out NicoB and Magi, whose games both have a pretty substantial following on here. Maybe the other developers don't care enough to defend themselves, so I'm going to let it be.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Blindmind
If we're getting our facts straight tbh, it has more subscribers than any game you've been associated with. So I'm pretty sure your comments can be taken with a grain of salt, lol.

Yeah, but at least he has games finished and even one that was featured, while you've been working on your single game since 2008 and it's still not done, apparently.

But, oh yeah... Back on topic.

Yes, the VX RTP is fugly, but there are plenty of games made with it that do have a visual identity, as Cashmere pointed out. I especially don't get why people bother with the face generator. It doesn't even blend in well with the default facesets!
Craze
hey if you're gonna whip the internet dick out, over 13k people have downloaded the second version of visions & voices and it only has a handful fewer subscribers than BR... not that it needs more, because it's a finished game you can play =)

i'm not even gonna comment on your "rmweb sucks, bless its heart" shit because lol. dude. really

i did call out nicob! i don't much like him or his game. (it helps that i've been able to play the project too.) magi though???? like. if you interpret the dialogue between magi and i as hostile i really worry for your reading skills. then again, we are able to behave like adults so it might be a difficult concept to grasp

...okay at least magi can act like an adult

edit: yes that face generator is an absolute horror. i honestly don't know why they bothered... the sprite generation side is nice though imo (SORRY WIP I LIKE IT)
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
What the hell, Blindmind is arguing about RTP graphics with Magi, Craze, WIP, Karsuman and Feld? Did we all go back in time about six years?
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Craze
edit: yes that face generator is an absolute horror. i honestly don't know why they bothered... the sprite generation side is nice though imo (SORRY WIP I LIKE IT)

The sprite generation is nice, indeed (provided you are making an RTP project)! But yeah, if that face generator even remotely resembled the profile-view style of the default face graphics, let alone used less washed out colors, it would have been perfect, but nope! Enterbrain decided to put every template at a boring frontal view with a limited range of facial expressions, which results in face graphics that either look boring or some uncanny fuel for your nightmares.
author=Solitayre
What the hell, Blindmind is arguing about RTP graphics with Magi, Craze, WIP, Karsuman and Feld? Did we all go back in time about six years?
Did you hear that RM2K3 was released recently?
ESBY
extreme disappointment
Blindmind
for the flaw of unoriginality or 'lack of
I was just bemused that you could argue against Craze because you felt he was unfairly judging games based on the fact they used ripped resources and, in the same paragraph, dismiss an entire community as unoriginal and devoid of talent based on the fact you found 6 screenshots that use RTP.
WIP
author=Solitayre
The old days are back!!!

Is there a way to have VXA generate sprites using templates other than the RTP? That would be totally bitchin. It'd be fun to like, recreate the 2k3 RTP characters that way.

author=ESBY
Blindmind
for the flaw of unoriginality or 'lack of
I was just bemused that you could argue against Craze because you felt he was unfairly judging games based on the fact they used ripped resources and, in the same paragraph, dismiss an entire community as unoriginal and devoid of talent based on the fact you found 6 screenshots that use RTP.
god damn

https://www.google.com/#q=nearest+burn+center