HOW TO ENCOURAGE THE PLAYER TO EXPLORE?

Pages: first 12 next last
So a friend was playing my game (Cave Adventure R) and it seemed like he was having difficulties with the game, after asking what he did, I realized he missed at least 40% of the early game because he didn't explore

So yeah, topic title

I put a small animation that shows you can go behind some walls, and the characters were surrounding an object so maybe the player would investigate it, right? nope, he ignored both things...

Another thing, I made a farming spot (every time you exit and enter the screen the enemies would reappear, is the only screen in the entire game that does this) but seems like people are ignoring this...

I want players to explore without holding their hands (I don't want to put a message saying "YOU CAN WALK THROUGHT WALLS! ALSO EXPLORE!!") heck, the second boss is almost unbeatable without exploring

I have made some small changes to see if players would notice them (They are not in the current version of the game) like hidden room that looks empty at first glance, obviously they would check everything to see if there's something hidden and then (when they found the item) try the same in the others rooms, right?

So, what is your opinion?

(To be honest, I'm not really proud of my game, the first part is about exploration then a difficult boss battle divides the game, making the last part a shitty minigame and a rushed ending)
Sailerius
did someone say angels
The most important thing to encourage exploration is to not have there be enemies where you want players to explore. Exploration should be stress-free and enjoyable, whereas conflict is inherently stressful, so it punishes you for going where it is.

Incidentally, this is why random encounters intrinsically discourage exploration.
author=Sailerius
The most important thing to encourage exploration is to not have there be enemies where you want players to explore. Exploration should be stress-free and enjoyable, whereas conflict is inherently stressful, so it punishes you for going where it is.

Incidentally, this is why random encounters intrinsically discourage exploration.

That's why I don't have random encounters, the enemies in the farming spot are encountered on the map, just exit and enter the screen to reset them
I usually explore if the environments are interesting enough and I find non junk by doing so. The act of doing so should also not be a pain, I will not be fond of exploring something and then having to take a long walk back to the main path while there's random encounters harassing me.

I don't think you should rely on tricks to get the players to explore, the exploring should be fun at it's very core.
author=Sailerius

This is a pretty binary view on it. And pretty simplistic.

When exploring, say, a cave, a player has to weigh the risk of missing something vs the risk of dying. Without the risk of dying, they only then fear missing something, which means that they will tediously explore every nook and cranny with no real tension (just potential frustration). But I suppose that if your only goal is to get them to explore, then yeah, opt for the risk-free tedium.
Well, first the player needs to know there is actually an option to explore. If you have a secret passage, but it's not clear to the player that it's there without hugging the wall or something, then most people will miss it.
Second, exploring must be fun and rewarding. Showing unique scenery, easter eggs, special gear, collectables, hidden monster/boss encounters, interesting lore pieces etc. A lot of empty dead ends kill exploration.
Avoid a lot of backtracking. Let the player unlock shortcuts to get back to the main path quickly after finishing exploration of a side path.
Basically, your level design must be built around promoting exploration. Have (early) secret rooms in obvious places, so they aren't too hard to find at least early on. Make multiple paths to the finish, so people may consider going back and take the other path.

Also, there will always be people who will not bother with exploring stuff. Some people prefer to stay on the main path and go for the goal as fast as possible.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
When exploring, say, a cave, a player has to weigh the risk of missing something vs the risk of dying. Without the risk of dying, they only then fear missing something, which means that they will tediously explore every nook and cranny with no real tension (just potential frustration). But I suppose that if your only goal is to get them to explore, then yeah, opt for the risk-free tedium.

If you have lots of pointless nooks and crannies that would be tedious to explore, then your first manner of business should be removing them.
author=Milennin
Avoid a lot of backtracking. Let the player unlock shortcuts to get back to the main path quickly after finishing exploration of a side path.
Alternatively, make the exploration happen in a loop rather than an one way path. But yeah, avoid long walks back.
author=Sailerius
If you have lots of pointless nooks and crannies that would be tedious to explore, then your first manner of business should be removing them.

Then you are just treating the symptom of your underlying choice of tedium. "Make it less tedious" is something worth pursuing, mind (ie- you've reduced the risk of dying to 0, thus reducing reducing the resultant tedium becomes your focus, to the point where you just give players reward for no effort). But then, suddenly, exploration is no longer part of the game. Just do a better job of balancing risk/reward in the first place instead of just dropping risk to 0 across the board. If the rewards are good enough and evident enough, people will explore to get them.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=kentona
author=Sailerius
Then you are just treating the symptom of your underlying choice of tedium. "Make it less tedious" is something worth pursuing, mind (ie- you've reduced the risk of dying to 0, thus reducing reducing the resultant tedium becomes your focus, to the point where you just give players reward for no effort). But then, suddenly, exploration is no longer part of the game. Just do a better job of balancing risk/reward in the first place instead of just dropping risk to 0 across the board. If the rewards are good enough and evident enough, people will explore to get them.

The games with the best exploration (the Myst series) had zero risk whatsoever and there was never any tedium whatsoever in exploring. Everything you could find was interesting and beautiful, so looking around was one of the main allures of the games. The supposed choice between risk and tedium is a false dichotomy. It posits that any game that has no risk is necessarily tedious, which is the opposite of true. In fact, some of the games I've played that had no risk involved in the gameplay whatsoever were some of the only games I've ever seen with no tedium to them.

A game is tedious if you have meaningless, tedious content. If you don't want it to be tedious, don't put it in.
I found Myst tedious, but that's beside the point.

The dichotomy is between tension and tedium, and I posit that tension is strongly correlated with risk.
Ok, so this what I'm doing:

Almost no battles (except boss battles and the mentioned farming spot, so you can never get stuck) if you want to get stronger you have to explore, to find weapons, magic spells and stats increases

The cave is really small, no long walks to get to a dead end

Right now, almost every path is 100% visible, the only things I would call hidden are going through a wall (the game clearly show two characters going through the same wall) and jumping through a small spot (You can clearly see a chest on the other side)

Now, I don't know if it was just my friend that just wanted to go deeper without exploring, or he just didn't know it was possible, but at least I want to make sure that the latter doesn't happens

author=kentona
I found Myst tedious, but that's beside the point.

The dichotomy is between tension and tedium, and I posit that tension is strongly correlated with risk.

You are right, there is no risk, maybe adding some battles (or even some minigames) would be better
Put small and big treasure all over the map, even in towns, so just straying a little off the main path can get you find goodies. Also fun is to put obstacles in front of some of them the player can't pass until he gets a new item/skill/vehicle later on. Shrink High is a great game to see how it's done (though you might want to change the spread as that game only takes part in two major areas, Yabaize High and Mt. Ura)
author=Sal

Maybe if you're playing the latest Nursing Home Simulator or Cow Grazing II or whatever, but this is a very simplistic statement. Can you have exploration that's enjoyable without risk? Sure, Shadow of the Colossus and similar games pretty much made it an artform.

But it's false that exploration and risk, challenge, or stress is mutually exclusive. A player seeing or knowing the massive firebreathing dragon is guarding a MYSTERIOUS CAVE can trigger exploration just as well, if not better than other means.

Even in real life, when I'm hiking, the stress and challenging of having to huff up a mountain to see the top sates my appetite to see what's up there.
Btw, right now, don't play Cave Adventure R expecting good exploration, this is mostly stuff that I will add after the event is over
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Exploration feels boring when there's no sense of danger. This might sound counterintuitive, but there needs to be a trade-off, a cost to exploring, for it to be worth doing. Something that makes the player feel like they're pushing up against the edge of their abilities, something making the exploration feel exhilirating - otherwise why encourage it in the first place?

If exploration is totally freely available and completely devoid of challenge, then you've removed the tangible barriers to letting the player doing it, but you've created a new barrier in its place - it's not fun. It's like getting rid of all your battles, and instead letting the player go down through a menu and choose "Level Up" over and over. Games have to push back against the player, or else the player doesn't feel like they won.

If you do exploration right in your game, it doesn't just feel like something the player can do to pass the time, and it doesn't just feel like something that's required in order to find the gameplay. It feels like a challenge that the player can overcome. Unfortunately, so few "exploration-driven" games actually treat it this way that I've come to have a bad taste in my mouth for the concept of exploration as a whole, and I now prefer my games to have as little of it as possible.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Guys, when you say either "exploration should have no conflict" or "exploration should have definitely conflict" you simplify it all down to such a meaningless binary qualifier that limits what exploration is and what kind of games you can have in general. Imagine if all exploration in games was full of conflict. Wouldn't people yearn for the peaceful exploration that requires no conflict? But then imagine if all exploration was devoid of all peril. Sometimes you'd want to explore and simultaneously experience the danger of dying or being hurt, which produces adrenaline.

That is why there's variance in games, that's why games are different and provide different experiences. People may hate games like Fez or Dear Esther or even Myst but honestly these games should exist, and there are benefits to such games. They're a certain niche of games. I believe there's room for both types of exploration, but you should pick the type of exploration that fits your game's theme best, and experiment with that.

But honestly what I was thinking when I read your post El Waka, and I haven't played your game, but I was wondering if the problem wasnt that you required exploration in your game, but how intuitive things would be perceived to you as the developer, as opposed to the player.

If the player missed these walls, is it totally their fault, or is your walkable wall actually hard to spot? Is there something that makes it graphically different from the rest of the walls? If not, ask if this is optional or not, or if you're creating a compulsory condition in your game that is easy to miss? If so, is this even a good test of someone's abilities? Partially what makes exploration rewarding is that a person can be tested for how attentive they are to their surroundings. If there is no failure and the ability to continue on whilst having failed, then there exists a risk of stagnation and thus frustration, and this in my opinion is bad game design. Then again, it might just be that the player is inattentive or not using their head you need to draw that line.

In the end, it may be a case of trial and error and trusting your own feelings about it. If the exploration induces the sense of awe and wonder you want it to make the player feel, then chase after that feeling. Games are all about creating feelings, but you just want to create the right ones using exploration, and sometimes trial and error and personal judgment is the only way. This is because exploration is very contextual, and what may work in one game will not work in another. Similarly, what may work for one person may not work for another. Personally, I love games like Dear Esther and Fez where the exploration is devoid of conflict, but I can also see why exploration with conflict is an important thing too. I think it's important to have that balance, and I think too many people are closed minded when it comes to games. They only want what they think they need, and thus limit themselves to a very small niche of likes. Sometimes it's good to get rid of all of our prejudices and realize that maybe gaming is more subjective to emotions than we thought, and that our opinions aren't the only ones that matter. That a game can be beneficial even if we don't personally like it. Some games are like vegetables: they're good for us even if we don't necessarily like them at the time, but they benefit our psyche nonetheless.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't ever yearn for my games to be paintings instead of games, and anyone who does should find a different medium. People have different tastes, and people like variety, but if right now you don't want the quality that makes something be a game, then it would be foolish of me to try to make games to accomodate you.

A lack of meaningful win/lose conditions might be fine for minor aspects of a game - not every single aspect of your game has to be like that. Saving and loading the game doesn't need to challenge the player. Understanding the menu interface probably shouldn't feel like a victory. But when we're talking about central, memorable experiences that you're trying to get the player to do because you are hoping they will add to the game, no, don't de-game them.

Anyway, El_WaKa, some players will just ignore any exploration that they think looks optional. It's not that they don't see that there's a possibility for finding stuff, it's just that they are goal-oriented people, or maybe they prefer the challenge of not getting the optional stuff until they need it, or maybe they've had bad/boring experiences exploring in games before. There's nothing you can do about them except perhaps make a more linear game, but that will bother as many people as it satisfies. Not every player likes every game.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=LockeZ
I don't ever yearn

The key words. This is subjective.

author=LockeZ
and anyone who does should find a different medium.

Sorry, but I'm staying.

Mediums are so overrated. It's like genres. Blend the mediums. Just because you want a game to be fun, others might want it to be a trippy experience that messes with their mind, others might yearn for frustration. To limit an art form to just your expectations of what it might be... well, limits the art. Not every game has to be Final Fantasy. People don't experiment because they qualify things under game and movie and play and music and say "don't blend the two". Music games? No, keep within your own medium. Interactive games that work doubly as cinematic experiences and interactive experiences? Nope, don't go there, don't even try. All games have to have a mandatory level of gameplay to be considered games, anything else is obsolete.

Not all games wish to be fun experiences for the public, some desire to be expressions of art to be admired rather than loved.

Note that this is coming from a person who desires there to be way more depth of core gameplay and innovation in many RPG Maker games on this site. I'm not saying that the game should always be an artsy parade of bull, and I respect people's opinion who says Dear Esther and others are bad games, but to say they aren't really games at all irks me to no end. Who cares if they are and are not games? If it's not a game, then just judge it for what it is. If you find it not that engaging, then just say it's not engaging. That's a legitimate complaint. But it's not a legitimate complaint to say you hate it because it's not a game, because that's limiting all sorts of potential. The observation of the conventions of a medium is important, but to judge the value of a piece of art firstly by its willingness to adhere to the conventions of a medium is small-minded.

Yume Nikki provides tension in exploration based on aesthetics and music, and exploration rewards players with the different transformations and the consistent novelty of the surroundings.

But, the goal of Yume Nikki was exploration--adding battles wouldn't have made any sense. If you're making an rpg where one of the dynamics is long-term stat progression, then there should probably be battles that bring tension to exploration. Think about the core mechanics of your game and have exploration support those mechanics. If your game is built around "getting stronger," then incentivize your players by giving them ways to get stronger by exploring--treasures holding equipment is how most rpgs do it.
Pages: first 12 next last