WRITER'S BLOCK. HOW TO BEAT IT? CREATING A STORY.

Pages: 1
So far im working on a game, but I can't think of anything interesting for my story. It's like my best ideas happen at random and never when I try to force them out. I have two good stories for a game, but I don't want to waste them on my first game ever, I want to save them for when im good enough. So what do you guys do when you feel stuck? Any good tips? How do you guys make your stories and characters for your games, do you just randomly make one or do you plan and work on it for a long time?
I'd recommend writing the characters in the story and what the end goal is - then, you could think of some places that the characters visit in the story. Around that time, if your characters are deep enough, the story will basically write itself as it really feels like the characters are making the decisions in the plot and not you.
You could try building a story around a cause you believe in.
For example: Protecting the environment, ending world hunger, space exploration, or exposing players to world cultures.
I hear "writer's block" a lot, but I don't know if I've ever really had it, at least not in a long-term debilitating way that a lot of people complain about. I think that "writer's block" is an excuse for when you run into a problem and you don't devote the time to fixing it because the solution isn't immediately evident. A lot of writing is just sitting and thinking. Don't keep a skype chat up or "watch a couple of youtube videos for inspiration." Just sit and think. That's how you overcome writer's block. You might have to uproot some of your earlier work and then rewrite it, but that's why the planning stage is so important--everything is still fluid there.

That's all more general, though. Since you seem to be super early in the writing process, you might start with anything--a basic theme that you want to explore, mechanics you might find interesting, etc.--and then build a world and characters from that. You don't have to start with a grand, sweeping narrative; just take that one component you find interesting and start building everything around that. Showcase what you find cool.
Currently I just decided to create the maps first then add the story as I go along and find inspiration.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=RedMask
For example: Protecting the environment, ending world hunger, space exploration, or exposing players to world cultures.

I can see it now: Ending World Hunger: The RPG. An edutainment adventure brought to you by HBGames & Sons.

author=Harbinger
Currently I just decided to create the maps first then add the story as I go along and find inspiration.

No. Noooo. Noooooo. Don't do that. I'm serious, stop it! Maps need to emerge from your story, not the other way around. The last thing you want is having made a stupid dumb lava cave and then be committed to forcing your story into there later.

Devise the conflict, lay your world's foundation, make your core characters. What's happening? Why are your characters involved? You want to grow out your story gradually and organically from that point, like a tree. Water that kawaii freakin tree with the bones and guts of your foundation. It'll grow. Good luck.
author=Magi
author=RedMask
I can see it now: Ending World Hunger: The RPG. An edutainment adventure brought to you by HBGames & Sons.

author=Harbinger

No. Noooo. Noooooo. Don't do that. I'm serious, stop it! Maps need to emerge from your story, not the other way around. The last thing you want is having made a stupid dumb lava cave and then be committed to forcing your story into there later.

Devise the conflict, lay your world's foundation, make your core characters. What's happening? Why are your characters involved? You want to grow out your story gradually and organically from that point, like a tree. Water that kawaii freakin tree with the bones and guts of your foundation. It'll grow. Good luck.

Im not creating anything I wouldn't use. And so far im just focusing on towns, if I make anything unnecesary I will just not have it and save that map for a later game. Usually my best inspiration happens at random so im being random XD
For me map design is the greatest way to generate inspiration.
It does not need to be elaborate.
author=Harbinger
Im not creating anything I wouldn't use. And so far im just focusing on towns, if I make anything unnecesary I will just not have it and save that map for a later game. Usually my best inspiration happens at random so im being random XD

Perhaps, but we can't really give you advice to how you should randomly get the best ideas.

I will note that inspiration is not always the answer. Sometimes when I don't know how to write a certain scenario, the solution is to sit down, think and that way figure out the solution rather than hoping for inspiration. It has also happened that inspiration came while thinking.

Now, I can't really force good ideas to come out, but I have found that reviewing what I already have allows me to expand into what I'm lacking. For example, if I don't know what to write in a certain section of the story, I can look at my characters, what kind of personalities they have and so on and then look for what events would play on their personalities. Likewise, I once encountered a situation where I felt that one of my character was too flat and rather than looking at that character himself, I looked at the other characters and was able to fill out his personality by thinking of how he could interact with them.

What works varies from person to person, but do question what you think works for you. I have been in the situation where I thought "X works for me" and then a lot of abandoned projects later found out that X does in fact not work for me. Don't be to sure what you think works for you actually does work for you, especially when you run into barriers.
I see you're not really building up on a pre-planned plot - to be honest, I recommend you to find a map you want to start the story in and then continue writing as you make more maps, events and database entries. It's a terrible way for making a great narrative, but the best way to get a story down in general.
You guys have great ideas.
author=Crystalgate
author=Harbinger
Perhaps, but we can't really give you advice to how you should randomly get the best ideas.

I will note that inspiration is not always the answer. Sometimes when I don't know how to write a certain scenario, the solution is to sit down, think and that way figure out the solution rather than hoping for inspiration. It has also happened that inspiration came while thinking.

Now, I can't really force good ideas to come out, but I have found that reviewing what I already have allows me to expand into what I'm lacking. For example, if I don't know what to write in a certain section of the story, I can look at my characters, what kind of personalities they have and so on and then look for what events would play on their personalities. Likewise, I once encountered a situation where I felt that one of my character was too flat and rather than looking at that character himself, I looked at the other characters and was able to fill out his personality by thinking of how he could interact with them.

What works varies from person to person, but do question what you think works for you. I have been in the situation where I thought "X works for me" and then a lot of abandoned projects later found out that X does in fact not work for me. Don't be to sure what you think works for you actually does work for you, especially when you run into barriers.

Right now im trying to do something different, usually in my other stories I have 2 protagonist a guy and girl, there's good action, great villains and some romantic interest between the characters. This story will have 1 protagonist, no romantic interest and I can't think of anything for the villains. Basically im trying to do something different.
I find that a lot of my best ideas come from addressing places where I get stuck in planning by asking "what's the most obvious thing to happen?" Or the most obvious explanation behind elements which have already been set in stone. I find this tends to be more fruitful than thinking about what would be interesting. There's always an unlimited number of interesting ideas, but most of them won't mesh naturally with a particular story. If you have an interesting set of premises, the conclusion that follows naturally from them should be interesting as well.

author=Harbinger
Right now im trying to do something different, usually in my other stories I have 2 protagonist a guy and girl, there's good action, great villains and some romantic interest between the characters. This story will have 1 protagonist, no romantic interest and I can't think of anything for the villains. Basically im trying to do something different.

What do you know about your story so far? Does it have one protagonist and no romantic interest because your other stories have multiple protagonists and a romantic interest, and you wanted to do something that was different from that, or does it have one protagonist and no romantic interest because you have some specific idea which entails this setup?

I think before you nail down specifics of what you will or won't have in a game, it's important to have an idea of what you're trying to achieve with it, and why those elements should or shouldn't be part of it.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
start doing drugs. enhance ur mind w marijane
User was warned for this post
author=Desertopa
I find that a lot of my best ideas come from addressing places where I get stuck in planning by asking "what's the most obvious thing to happen?" Or the most obvious explanation behind elements which have already been set in stone. I find this tends to be more fruitful than thinking about what would be interesting. There's always an unlimited number of interesting ideas, but most of them won't mesh naturally with a particular story. If you have an interesting set of premises, the conclusion that follows naturally from them should be interesting as well.

author=Harbinger

What do you know about your story so far? Does it have one protagonist and no romantic interest because your other stories have multiple protagonists and a romantic interest, and you wanted to do something that was different from that, or does it have one protagonist and no romantic interest because you have some specific idea which entails this setup?

I think before you nail down specifics of what you will or won't have in a game, it's important to have an idea of what you're trying to achieve with it, and why those elements should or shouldn't be part of it.

It's because I have a specific idea.
author=TFT
start doing drugs. enhance ur mind w marijane

lol
Usually for me, it helps to create a world first. Knowing the where of things, the circumstances and state of the world I'm in, helps me canvass out what type of things my characters are bound to encounter. Then, I figure out the starting points of my characters, and from there it's a matter of making decisions. Every beat in the story is a point where your character makes a choice. Don't always trust your first instinct. Come up with 4 or 5 possible outcomes for every choice. You want to have your characters make choices that simultaneously make sense to the character and make sense for the story.

For example if your idea is "lazy guy goes on adventure", you have to have your beats make sense to both things, since the character and story are inherent contradictions. So, if guy chooses to stay home, it makes sense to the character but betrays the story, and guy chooses to go adventure does the exact opposite. Now's your chance to spice things up a bit. Maybe lazy guy is forced by his mother to begin his adventure. This services both the character and the story and drives us to the next beat, where we have to make a similar choice.

Honestly, I agree with the sentiment that writer's block is a thinking thing. It's all about weighing options and saying "does this make sense?" and picking the most interesting result. If any of that helps.
author=Desertopa
What's the specific idea then?

So far it involves a Fortune Seeker(Like a Treasure hunter, bounty hunter, monster hunter, mercenary etc.) He is just a laidback, average Fortune Seeker, he does his jobs, gets paid and done, he usually wastes his money on getting drunk, etc. He usually doesn't try to be a hero or anything, but he's not a bad guy. At some point he get's involved in something bigger and get's hired to track down a dangerous man(this can all change though). So far what I got...
author=Harbinger
So far it involves a Fortune Seeker(Like a Treasure hunter, bounty hunter, monster hunter, mercenary etc.) He is just a laidback, average Fortune Seeker, he does his jobs, gets paid and done, he usually wastes his money on getting drunk, etc. He usually doesn't try to be a hero or anything, but he's not a bad guy. At some point he get's involved in something bigger and get's hired to track down a dangerous man(this can all change though). So far what I got...

To help get you started, here are some questions to think about to help define your story.

- Why does he spend so much money on getting drunk? What's the story behind that? Does he just drink for fun? If so, how can you make that interesting?
- Why is our average laidback fortune seeker the guy they hire to chase the dangerous man? Does he have a connection to him? Does the client have a relationship to the protag? Does the client owe somebody a favor?
- What is so important about this fortune seeker? He seems rather unremarkable; you say he's average, he gets the job done, not a bad guy. Why do we care about him? What exactly about chasing this man is significant in his life and why are we going to be invested in his journey?
author=Kitsune Inferno
author=Harbinger
To help get you started, here are some questions to think about to help define your story.

- Why does he spend so much money on getting drunk? What's the story behind that? Does he just drink for fun? If so, how can you make that interesting?
- Why is our average laidback fortune seeker the guy they hire to chase the dangerous man? Does he have a connection to him? Does the client have a relationship to the protag? Does the client owe somebody a favor?
- What is so important about this fortune seeker? He seems rather unremarkable; you say he's average, he gets the job done, not a bad guy. Why do we care about him? What exactly about chasing this man is significant in his life and why are we going to be invested in his journey?

Those are some good questions and I do have them mostly answered so far.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
IME writer's block is a sign that you're trying to force things in a direction they don't need to go: whatever scene/plot/etc. you're trying to do isn't going to work, and needs to be axed and thrown aside.

In this particular case, it might just be a sign that you're barking up the wrong story tree and need to change focus to something entirely different. It might even mean that you just don't need a story for a first game, and you can just go ahead with a pointless romp that's solely there for you to get your bearings in gam mak.

For my own gam work, I tend to have stories inspired and informed by gameplay elements- what aspects are central to the game you're making? Is there a unifying theme you can pluck out of them? What mood do you want to put across? What kind of pace are you going for?

Try going over games whose stories you like and thinking about how they work. What did you enjoy about them? Why? What did they do to make the story happen?
Pages: 1