IS IT OKAY TO USE MUSIC FROM OTHER GAMES?

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=zeello
By which I mean music from games released on other systems such as PS2.

The answer to this question is largely dependent on if you mean legally or morally. From a legal perspective I'd say ripping files from games in order to use them for yourself is highly illegal.

On the moral side of things the issue tends to be considered a lot more grey around here. After all, a lot of older projects on this site make use of ripped music from older games like "Secret of Mana", "Breath of Fire", "Final Fantasy", "Dragon Quest", and so on. And people have definitely used sprites from older and newer games as well. I still remember one developer ripping a few sprites from the DS game "Hero's Saga Laevatein Tactics". Albeit that game was pulled shortly after I did Let's Play for it.

author=zeello
I'm completely new to the ring and I just figured I should get this question out of the way before I plop down the $70 for VX Ace. The answer to this thread will definitely factor into my decision whether to get RPG Maker or not.

If your nervous about spending that kind of money I'd suggest buying RPG Maker VX Ace while it's on sale. After all, the various RPG Maker engines do go for a lot less on steam every now and again. In fact there on sale at the moment as part of the Summer Sale. Albeit the window of opportunity for that one is closing pretty fast with the sale ending in a little less than 12 hours at the time this post.
Thesacredlobo - This topic is from years ago. I already bought VX Ace long ago and worked on a few things. Tried making a WW1 themed game but later changed to a card based game named Aladdin. After a while I was worried it would never get done so I decided to just submit it. This year in fact. You can check the game out if you want. And yes, the music is immoral.
Pages: first prev 12 last