RMN V4.6 A.K.A. "BACKLOG"

TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Liberty
That would be a good idea... BUT there are different times of the year for different DST. Some countries don't even have it while others have it at x time and others have it at y, so anky would have to code for each and every country.

Hell, I'll fill in the info myself if I must. Like, maybe a checkbox that says "yeah, I use DST" and 2 spots to put in the dates when it starts/ends

Or maybe just a button that adds/subtracts an hour when on/off.. I'd rather hit that than type =3=

All this so I don't gotta type -5/-6 once or twice a year >->
Move to Saskatchewan. We don't observe DST here. (and as such a DST feature is not likely to ever happen!)
@Link: Whenever I read what I consider to be unconvincing arguments or poorly worded rationale I've got this knee jerk reaction to point them out. It's a pet peeve of mine. I can't help it. Well I can because I'm not going to debunk anything any further about the topic of MS because I don't want to give it more time. It did require a willpower saving throw (which I barely made!).

Anyways, I have yet to meet my match rhetoric wise so we'll get more occasions for me to write more essays :D. I wouldn't waste your time trying to convince me not to do things the way I feel like doing them. Well you can, but you'll soon find out I'm pretty stubborn.

Just so I'm not too off-topic:

Could we have email notifications of replies of subscribed threads? Unless it's already possible.

CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
May I suggest that we be able to create a new optional property for games that defines the event that they were made for - for example, "McBacon Jam" and "IGMC 2015" - so that if we want to, say, find all McBacon Jam #2 games, or all All Hallows Eve 2013 games, we can just search for them somehow using the default search function? Without such a feature, we could probably make a new playlist every time an event happens, but to do so requires the same user to create new playlists for each and every event, and the fact that this user has all the playlists for all the events wouldn't be known by all users automatically, so it'd be pretty time-consuming and not a very robust process and not everyone would know about it. It'd be nice to have an automatic process of categorization by way of storing the games' event details as part of the gamepage structure itself, because games being tied to events is kind of an important idea about this site. Currently, event pages link to downloads on the gamepages, but the system does not link back from the gamepages to the event pages they are associated with. Almost all event games have a link back to the event as typed in their description, and I'd assume that all event games would like to be recognized as such. It would be useful to implement that link into the constrained interface, to systematize the way that games link back to their related event pages. Just an idea that I think would be cool and useful for myself and hopefully many others.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Cash, why don't you just go to the past events page and find the event in question, surely all the games that were related to the event will be listed there under the accepted submissions?

I mean I can understand that not being feasible for something like the IGMC which isn't hosted here, but that's the only one that doesn't have its home, and therefore an event page, already on RMN. Not to mention it would need the developer to actually indicate it's part of that event for this to work.

How about just an 'event' genre, so that all the event games can be tagged for it. It'd at least make it a bit easier.
Could just have it trigger on games that are actually tied to event pages - since you have to submit a download to an event page and all. Make it not a member-chosen thing. Honestly, though, there are games marked in various genres that they don't really fit in already. We don't bother moderating that.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=nhubi
Cash, why don't you just go to the past events page and find the event in question, surely all the games that were related to the event will be listed there under the accepted submissions?

There's a few event-made games that don't quite get on the appropriate event-listing, though. For example, Czarina Must Die, the winner of Game Chill 2013, is not listed on the appropriate event-page. It was very much a last-minute entry, if I recall!

Then there's the matter of being made for an event (or, at least an intent to), but not having a download to submit at all. Bright Future seems to come to mind...
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Can we add a Tragedy tag to the list of flavors for game pages? That'd be greeeeeat.
unity
You're magical to me.
Oooh, how about Romance? :D
Here's what we determined to have a couple years (?) ago now:

Genre:
Action
Adventure
Platformer
Puzzle
RPG
Shooter
Simulation
Strategy
Tactics
Visual Novel

Arcade
Comedy
Cyberpunk
Dark
Dungeon Crawler
Fantasy
Fighting
First-Person
Futuristic
Historical
Horror
Modern
Music
Mystery
Noir
Oldschool
Overhead
Post-Apocalyptic
Sci-Fi
Sidescroller
Space
Steampunk
Text
Western

New Flavor ideas:
Stealth
Craze
Survival
Sandbox
Management
Real-Time
Tower Defense
Racing
Sports
Board Game
Trivia
Multiplayer
Casual
Art Game
Educational
Adult
Logic
School
Maze
Roguelike
Bullethell
Point-and-Click
Hidden Object

I'll add Tragedy and Romance to the new flavour consideration list.
Wait, adult???????

Er, anyway. Not sure if this is good, but how about changing the page's title (the one you see on the tabs on top of the browser) when you get a new PM (or notif)? Like: "You have a new message" or "Your game has a new comment" or something?
Um... why? The bar has flashing portions when new stuff arrives, along with a number to let you know how many. It's more than enough.
To get notified even when you are on a different tab or have the browser minimised?
Oh, on the tabs! XD
I read that as on the bar or top of the page in the forum/site itself, having something pop up!

Eh, I'm not sure it's still necessary, since you can just check the page itself easily enough, though. Probably depends on how hard it is to code in.
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
What's the point of the download tab when there's no downloads?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Porkate42
What's the point of the download tab when there's no downloads?

Just the same as the blog tab when there's no blogs. But really... is it that much of an issue? It doesn't stop you from doing anything. It doesn't change functionality in any way.
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
Ya, a minor nitpick. I just find it weird.