RMN DEVELOPER PROFILES

Pages: first prev 12345 last
unity
You're magical to me.
author=LockeZ
Hmm. You have trouble getting combat to be much more engaging than it is with the basic pre-made characters and enemies. And like most people I think you sometimes just don't have the patience to sit around playtesting dungeons different ways and fiddling with numbers, which leads to your skills and equipment and items and enemies not being balanced very well if the player does things in any order other than what you predicted. Those were the problems I saw with Luxuren Allure and the first segment of Wyrm Warriors anyway. Let me playtest the next segment and I'll be a lot more specific with the feedback~

Yeah, I think you're right. That's something I'll definitely try to improve on. I tend to base testing solely on how I play, which means things are going to be wonky for anyone else. Thanks, I'll try my best to have more patience in the future and be more thorough with my testing.

author=LockeZ
Also, yeah, as far as this thingy goes, quantity definitely counts considering how many people give themselves a 5/10 in a category or higher when the number of games worth of stuff they've made in that category is less than one. Being able to actually follow through and make a whole set of graphics is a very important skill; as an indie developer it's a lot more important than color selection or line work.

Okay, yeah, that's a really good point XD Actually getting something done and having it flawed is a lot better in my book than having nothing complete.

It's funny, sometimes I worry about getting evaluated and people finding that I come up lacking in areas. But then I remember that, duh, of course I have problem areas, and I have the rest of my life to try to polish up on them. It can still feel a bit gut-wrenching to get criticism, but it's super helpful. :D
@Cash: Yeah, I definitely pride myself on my world-building and level-design and 100% agree that Enelysion's intro was far too long and dragged on too much. I obviously learned from this when making my shorter games and hopefully the new demo of Tristian shows it as well. And yes, I do love my characters. <3

@Housekeeping: Don't feel bad. I actually rated my newer score of the current writing in Tristian. XD Which I feel is better than Enelysion's atm.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If worrying about people evaluating you poorly makes you want to improve more then sweet, mission accomplished, that is my goal for every person on this website. If it makes you feel too much anxiety to release your stuff then no, stop it, stop feeling that.

All of us are 1/10 in every category compared to Fez Guy anyway. According to him, at least.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Housekeeping: It depends on what you classify as written. Yes, I wrote the story of the game and wrote the rough draft of the dialogue, but Sooz did some heavy editing to give it more punch. I'd be honored to have you take a look at my other games!

Cash: Wow. Thanks so much for the kind words! I totally agree with you on the mapping front, but I'm also rather confused that you put dungeon design as a strength. Can you elaborate on the reasoning behind that, please?

Anyway, it wasn't until I actually sat down to think this out that I realized I haven't played enough games from most people to actually judge fairly. For the most part, I've only played one game from everyone, so most of what I would have to say would be about that one game. But whatever, I'll do my best:

unity:

In my EXTREME AND WELL DOCUMENTED bias, unity's one of my favorite devs on RMN. Her emphasis on characterization is right up my alley in terms of what I want to see in a game, so I haven't really (and most likely won't) found a project from her I don't enjoy. In terms of scoring, I mostly agree with her self evaluation, but I'd put an extra point into the writing category since her games made me feel attachment to the characters, something I don't often see around here. Wanna know a secret? Luxaren Allure is, so far, the only game on RMN that I would rate a 5/5 if I were to review it. Though maybe that's just me being biased because I'm a tester for the project, but whatever.

My rating for unity is a yuri/10.

Luchino:

Luchino knows how to do immersion. Between good looking maps and sound design, it's very easy to lose yourself in the world. While I've only ever completed Enelysion, I'd have to say that her writing is rather hit and miss for me. Some characters were developed well while others left a lot to be desired. However, from what I saw of Tristian, I think it has improved loads, so I don't feel comfortable giving her a score here.

My rating for Luchino is an mindbending/10

CashmereCat:

I only have Account Mu to draw from, so be aware of that. But I really liked what I played. It had a strong sense of atmosphere and some really clever puzzles. If there are more playable projects from him, preferably longer ones, I'd probably give him more definite scores. As it is, I don't feel like I've played enough of his stuff to rate him fairly.

My rating for CashmereCat is a broken brain/10

Housekeeping:

I've only played The Heart Pumps Clay, so be aware of that. I think Housekeeping's writing is his strongest point, with music being a close second. THPC was full of charm and memorable characters that left a strong impression on me, even almost a year later. His game design is also top notch, with battles feeling more like puzzles that I have to use my brain to solve instead of grinding for levels. The character designs were unique and interesting, but the art itself (both character art and tiles) did leave a lot to be desired.

I give Housekeeping a charming/10

SnowOwl:

I've only played It Moves to completion. In terms of visuals, SnowOwl's got it down. His games are some of the best looking I've seen in RM. As It Moves was an adaptation of a short story, I can't really judge his originality when it comes to his writing, but at least the story was delivered well. I just wished It Moves gave me more of a threat to be afraid of instead of taking me on a guided tour of awesome imagery.

My rating for SnowOwl is a nervous twitch/10
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I do feel like I blew myself up a bit in my rating, so how would anyone rate me?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Red_Nova

Most accurate rating.
unity
You're magical to me.

author=Red_Nova
unity:In my EXTREME AND WELL DOCUMENTED bias, unity's one of my favorite devs on RMN. Her emphasis on characterization is right up my alley in terms of what I want to see in a game, so I haven't really (and most likely won't) found a project from her I don't enjoy. In terms of scoring, I mostly agree with her self evaluation, but I'd put an extra point into the writing category since her games made me feel attachment to the characters, something I don't often see around here. Wanna know a secret? Luxaren Allure is, so far, the only game on RMN that I would rate a 5/5 if I were to review it. Though maybe that's just me being biased because I'm a tester for the project, but whatever.

Wow, thanks so much, Red! ^///^

author=Red_Nova
...but I'm also rather confused that you put dungeon design as a strength. Can you elaborate on the reasoning behind that, please?

On this, I can't speak for Cash, but I feel that your dungeon designs are indeed excellent. In Soul Sunder, for example, they each serve a nice narrative purpose as well as a gameplay purpose. The mapping for your dungeons could use some work but I feel like they function very well.
Being rated would be great. Always need feedback.

I'm in the process of redoing my stats anyways, since I fucked up and exaggerated the hell out of them. I just need to finish a little self portrait first.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=CashmereCat
slash
I've only played Resume, but I can see that slash is a talented coder with a good eye for visuals. The way that Resume introduced one element at a time for consideration was brilliant and I bet his other games are great too. The portraits he draws as well show a good use of colour and are very cute.
Strengths: Gameplay, portraits, tileset for Bright Future

Ahh, thanks Cash :D I am proud of how the visuals in Resume turned out, 'cuz I was definitely trying to make the best of a limited toolset.

I need to make more games, I want to figure out my weaknesses..! I also need to play more games from here. The only dev I think I could fairly assess from their games is Craze, and I'm pretty sure I've told him what I think.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster

And a bit about myself, I am a pixel artist, a few games under my belt, and I have composed some songs in the past. Island Sky and Paradise Blue have examples of stuff I've made. That class is entirely cazs fault she made me write it >:|

I've been trying to improve in all areas but I feel writing and coding are still my weakest areas. I didn't wanna make the chart too high in any category because I know I still have a long way to go before I can feel like a professional in anything.
Other than being a foodmonster. I'm a professional foodmonster. And lazyperson.
I decided to post one about myself too

also OCEAN RAISE THAT SHIT
NOW
YOUR STATS ARE MUCH HIGHER
RAISE
IT
NOW
>:^(

edit: and now that it's done i'm going to read everybody else's <3

edit2: i'm reading them listening to emotional music and getting moody over you buddies *hugs everybody and cries*

edit3: CASHMERE CAT WHAT ARE THOSE STATSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS >:-O but taylor swift rocks
edit4: i'm saying that because i liked that game
edit5:RHYME FROZE MY HEART I QUIT READING THIS THREAD
edit6: i was referring to rhyme's post on page 3 and not the one below
edit7: i sure did some catch-upping
edit8: I WANNA BE RATED TOO AND I'M RATING YOU GUYS TO A PULP <3 JUST GIMME SOME TIME <3
Rhyme
Tear Harvester Rhyme
@Cash like a million pages ago: I don't think me alone can show that much of proficiency: most of the games I make that are big and shiny, always have more than enough help from a lot of people. Substar, HWS, LiAR, and PrinPrin aren't exclusively my work, you know! (though maybe the graph really is too small)
I don't know if I can fairly rate anyone right now since I don't play much rm games/games in general (i really should ;-; one day... when not busy with school/work)

edit: joseph pls u make games i envy
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Housekeeping
I think that's pretty accurate--maybe several more in mapping
My mapping is pretty balls. The reason why I made Account Mu so minimal is because I'm not satisfied with my mapping. You've actually also played my game Quincy & Amber, a 2-player puzzle game demo where I asked you to help me write a storyline. This was way before I realized it was probably better if I didn't keep asking people to do stuff for me.

author=Housekeeping
@Locke: Where's your ranking? I could have sworn I've seen it before.
It's in the original post.

author=Red Nova
Cash: Wow. Thanks so much for the kind words! I totally agree with you on the mapping front, but I'm also rather confused that you put dungeon design as a strength. Can you elaborate on the reasoning behind that, please?

Soul Sunder's dungeons were a good mixture of linear and non-linear. Part of the reason why the game was good is because the dungeons were fun to explore around. You're also one of the few people who use on-map encounters correctly, i.e. having a reason to either dodge or confront them.

author=Red Nova
My rating for CashmereCat is a broken brain/10

Ain't that the truth.

author=Rhyme
@Cash like a million pages ago: I don't think me alone can show that much of proficiency: most of the games I make that are big and shiny, always have more than enough help from a lot of people.

I know Archeia likes working with you because you come up with interesting ideas, and the general streak throughout your projects are that they are good quality. People hire you because you're good. :)

Housekeeping
Games played: A Very Long Rope to the Top of the Sky (~10mins), Born Under the Rain (~15mins), The God of Crawling Eyes, The Heart Pumps Clay.
Good writing. I like the use of custom graphics and working within artistic limitations. Looking at Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, it seems your art is improving. Can create 50hr+ games, which is a skill I can't even fathom. Good at atmosphere.
Strengths: Writing, characters, story, art is improving steadily

Sooz
Games played: Remnants of Isolation
Those battlers freaked me out, in a good way. Also I like from what I've seen of your comics. Need to read more to judge writing. Art is stellar.
Strengths: Art, definitely

Ratty524
Games played: Are Pee Gee Maekur Vee Ex Ayce, Densetsu no Kusoge (watched LP), Sellsword (everything but the final boss).
Judging from Pokemon RMN Version, you are a talented spriter. Humour is your strong suit, in league with Gourd Clae and Capage. That's why you create troll games - because it comes naturally to you. Pacing is brisk, and the tone is lighthearted.
Strengths: Humour, spriting, pacing

Ocean
Games played: Lunacity, Mont Asall (~10mins), Mystic Sunrise
Cool, colourful art. Good colours. Interesting concepts. Liked concept for Lunacity, eventing was admirable. Didn't have long enough to flesh out the concept fully in my opinion (it was a contest game). Mystic Sunrise could have been better. Perhaps it was the limitations of the engine's battle system. I didn't like the linearity and the uselessness of some items. However, concepts and so on imply a great amount of skill.
Strengths: Pixeling, design, innovative concepts

Pizza
Games played: Dule, Minutes to Midnight (~15mins), Carpan, Peeking at Stars, Photometric (all 50 hours of it so far)
Good friend. We chat on Skype too much. One of the greatest commands of atmosphere, rivalling SnowOwl but in a different way. Is learning how to construct gameplay and story, but doing so steadily. It is exciting that after years, is releasing games finally and really getting into the development process. Is a pleasure to work and talk with. Though I really should get off my ass concerning Photometric. Oh yeah, and badass pixel artist.
Strengths: Atmosphere, pixeling

JosephSeraph
Games played: Brave Tear (~10mins), Carolyne (~5mins), FFLVXA (~15mins), Lacrimosa (~15mins), Our Desolate Planet (I still haven't played this game front to back, how terrible am I?), other random little snippets he sends me <3
Good friend. We also chat on Skype too much. Really cool artist, holds lots of raw potential but, much like myself, doesn't know quite how to wield it yet, or to what end. Has a lot of really disparate skills and is trying to make sense of it all. Good at art, composition, game concepts. I want to experience a fully fleshed out JosephSeraph story.
Strengths: Drawing, graphics, composition, unique ideas and execution
CashmereCat
PizzaGames played: Dule, Minutes to Midnight (~15mins), Carpan, Peeking at Stars, Photometric (all 50 hours of it so far)
Good friend. We chat on Skype too much. One of the greatest commands of atmosphere, rivalling SnowOwl but in a different way. Is learning how to construct gameplay and story, but doing so steadily. It is exciting that after years, is releasing games finally and really getting into the development process. Is a pleasure to work and talk with. Though I really should get off my ass concerning Photometric. Oh yeah, and badass pixel artist.
Strengths: Atmosphere, pixeling

Cash, you slay me with your kind words. brb gonna go cry somewhere

I redid my thing with more realistic scores, and 100% more pixels.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm kinda thinking I could, probably, go down a few points in Design. I sorta lumped Artistry and Mapping together, but, they are probably about the same rating regardless. I dunno. Artistry might be a point lower.

Saying that, the only people I would feel comfortable rating is Red_Nova and unity.
@Cash: Ah, that's right, I have played Quincy and Amber. I know you confessed about those accounts all being you, but my brain still files them as different people, haha. I didn't think your maps there were too bad. When you're working with puzzles, I expect some aesthetics to be sacrificed for the sake of conveyance (at least with regard to rtp mapping).

@Pizza: That's a pretty accurate rating from what I've played (just Carpan, I'm afraid). I'd probably bump up your mapping a bit. Design is kind of a wildcard since the only game I played from you was an art game. Same with writing; what you have written has been well-framed and effective, but the narrative (in Carpan at least) was so stripped back that it's hard to gauge where you're at, really.
Frame of Reference: Carpan

@Locke: Of course your profile's in the first post, haha. I'd maybe take a point or two off mapping, but Five Rows of Teeth and a Portal to Hell (I refuse to call it anything other than this) looks like you've improved a lot since Vindication. It's hard to argue with your design rating; your work is really well crafted. I'd say that your only weakness with design is that what LockeZ finds fun and what most people find fun sometimes find themselves at odds. I think the challenge for you as a developer is being able to make the player understand why your design is so good. When testplaying Born Under the Rain, I found myself enjoying your decisions on an intellectual level, but on a practical level I was phasing out pretty frequently; that's why I harped on you about reducing battle length. So, your design is great in the sense that you're building unique RPG gameplay that's intellectually sound, but sometimes you need to think more about player empathy.
Frame of Reference: Vindication and Born Under the Rain
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Alright here's some of mine.

Pizza
I only played Carpan and the other sci-fi sequel(forgot it's name), and I can clearly tell that your art makes you stand out among the rest.

Housekeeping
I've only played God of Crawling Eyes, but that's enough for me to understand you're a real good dev. Your artstyle is cool and you can make a deep storyline. At mapping though, I don't think your maps are bad but there weren't really enough maps in GoCE. Plus it's weird to have a well in a school.

Cashy(Cashmere)
I think you are a professional puzzle maker. Keep up. Though I recommend you try out some more game genres. I think you make scripts yourself, right? Cause I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a script that allows you to do something like in Quicy and Amber.
Pages: first prev 12345 last