A GAME BASED ON THE SECOND COMING?

Pages: first 12 next last
Please note this idea comes from a complete atheist and may come across as being cynical.

Also, this is just an idea I had after an MSN conversation with a friend tonight and probably won't be made unless I enter some kinda 48 hour game making contest with it or something. Focusing on Fenrir right now.

My basic idea's quite simple, what if a game was based around the second coming of Jesus? Have him come down in 2012 and judge that this entire world has become too filthy for even great floods to cleanse, to judge everyone bar the most devout Christians with the 'purest' souls to be evil and start areign of terror upon the world as the Last Judgement and eradicate the majority of humanity to establish God's Kingdom on Earth as the prophecies state?

It's been referred to as The Last Day, Jesus himself is called The Beginning and End. He came to warn us to clean up our act once and we didn't listen, with no alternative left, he decides we must all die for our sins because he can't carry anymore?

It'd actually have footholdings in Biblical prophecies and has a lot of potential to be expanded upon.
Why can't I shake the feeling that this may turn out horribly wrong?
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311361/

Vampires are killing lesbians in the city of Ottawa. Maxine Schreck and Johnny Golgotha, two important members of Father Eustace's parish are missing, and Eustace can no longer sit by and watch, so he calls on the help of the greatest vampire hunter of all--Jesus Christ
The second coming is upon us, and Jesus has returned to earth. But before he can get down to the serious business of judging the living and the dead, he has to contend with an army of vampires that can walk in the daylight. Combining kung-fu action with biblical prophecy and a liberal dose of humour, the film teams the Savior with Mexican wrestling hero El Santos against mythological horrors and science gone mad, and also manages to address contemporary sexual politics. And did we mention that it's a musical?
Believe it or not, several RM* games have featured Jesus.
In one he was the first boss. Thankfully most of these games have been lost to time.

Look, unless this was done masterfully it'd probably end up being terrible. Games with religious themes often already have storytelling problems, but this would just be ridiculous and exploitative.

Having said all that, I just imagined Bruce Campbell playing Jesus with a chainsaw and a sawed off shotgun, and it was hilarious. Make it!
Ok, so i think that this would be an awesome idea.
My nickname at school is jesus so ive thought many times of making a jesus game, but never had the time or ideas for it, i think you should defently make it.
Hm.

A jesus game = fangame

fangame = nono

= nono
I for one would like a serious approach to this and I think it could be pretty awesome. Even better would be if the message in the film would be as fundamentalist Christian as possible while still being an exciting and good story as well as game.

I can see an opening with one of those people who have lost faith. Going back to Jesus' visit to the church to talk with his father. Suddenly his father appears to him and tells him what he needs to know.

The spirit of the lord comes to him and the world is drenched in filth and dirt. A kind of industrial cyberpunk world. Blade Runner style where sins run rampant and the second coming must do what he can to clean it up and find those who are faithful in order to take them to heaven.

Meanwhile all that crazy stuff depicted in the prophecies happen. We have the four horsemen obviously, as well as all those weird catastrophes. And by the end we have the Beast and all the burning. The climax where the second coming tries to help the last faithful to the new paradise and leave Earth to its destiny for a couple of thousand years.

A different take on it would be to have the main character be a disciple or follower of the second coming, that way the second coming would be a bit more mysterious (as he should be, we shouldn't know exactly what he thinks), while showing a "regular man's" look at how things progress.
A fundamentalist Christian message? I said at the very start I'm an atheist, and that I think all religions are wrong. Most of them built as ways to control civilisations and scare people into behaving while others were simply way to answer questions we all had no clue about. And let's not forget, everyone fears death - so let's tell them there's an afterlife, and that you only get a half decent one if you're a good boy and give the church *cough*government*cough* lots of money to buy a seat there. I mean, shit, you can officially put Jedi as your religion on current tax forms and there's even that bloody Harry Potter religion.

I know that sounds incredibly cynical but those are my views. I just think some religions have some good mythology in them.
To be more serious...

I think in order to do this properly you would need to take a subjective viewpoint. I wouldn't bother if you can't look at it from the point of view of a Christian.
author=Sam link=topic=1797.msg28667#msg28667 date=1220005009
A fundamentalist Christian message? I said at the very start I'm an atheist, and that I think all religions are wrong. Most of them built as ways to control civilisations and scare people into behaving while others were simply way to answer questions we all had no clue about. And let's not forget, everyone fears death - so let's tell them there's an afterlife, and that you only get a half decent one if you're a good boy and give the church *cough*government*cough* lots of money to buy a seat there. I mean, shit, you can officially put Jedi as your religion on current tax forms and there's even that bloody Harry Potter religion.

I know that sounds incredibly cynical but those are my views. I just think some religions have some good mythology in them.

Uh, yeah, this may not be such a good idea.
author=Sam link=topic=1797.msg28667#msg28667 date=1220005009
A fundamentalist Christian message? I said at the very start I'm an atheist, and that I think all religions are wrong.
I was mostly referring to the idea in general. Not only your take on it. Though in order to make something really good with a Christian message that isn't heavy handed with it. I think it would at the very least take an agnostic.

I think that making the game using the Christian fundament beliefs and messages while still making it a good game would be a very interesting and probably a bit thought-provoking take.

Following the stories to the letter combined with a personal take (Blade Runner-esque dark future combined with Christian values is an immediate win in my opinion).

I can see a bunch of scenes as it is. The second coming destroying a temple. One in neon and glitter. To mirror the same story in the new testament. The mass of people that just say no to the Message and don't want to believe. And the second coming's anguish over their ignorance and unwillingness to see the light. (Mirroring the Noah story a bit. But also all the persecutors of Christ). A bit of a crisis in faith just before the big beast takes over earth (mirroring the death of Christ)

There's a lot of good scenes there that shouldn't be destroyed just because someone doesn't believe in their message. Preferably I'd like the message to be as old-school as possible in a contemporary setting making the contrasts bigger. (The Blade Runner-esque liberal society compared to the ten commandments for example.)
No offense to Sam, but I really doubt he's capable of doing all of that.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
QUICK NOTE: Please don't use the name Last Day. I have a pending under that title.

ACTUAL REPLY: A game based on religious themes is actually a pretty worn concept. You'd have to generalize pretty strongly. Then again, if PERSONA 3 can get away with summons like Beezlebub, Lucifer, Samael, and Old Scratch himself, maybe you can too.

Have fun making a battle animation for the whole 'sword-from-his-mouth' thing. I have a feeling there's no way to make that look cool.

EDIT
I have an idea how to make it work, but it would only work for a Persona-style creature/summon. Perhaps PM to swap ideas?
author=Feldschlacht IV link=topic=1797.msg28716#msg28716 date=1220045711
No offense to Sam, but I really doubt he's capable of doing all of that.

He's right, To be fair. I'm a really big atheist.
Would the main character be jesus? Would you be fighting against jesus? If so, wouldn't it be kind of futile since he's the incarnation of God and God cannot be destroyed?

And despite the fact that Christ already died, the future incarnation of his second coming is supposed to be more spiritual and all powerful, rather than human (like he was the first time), so how would you possibly stop him?

It's tough when you have to take down God. I don't see any reasonable way that anything in the "creation" can kill the "creator". The only way you could pull it off reasonably would be to completely change the concept of God, by making him a different kind of being altogether. For one, he can't be all powerful, because if he is then you wouldn't be able to kill him. He would have to be just some cosmic entity that sparked human life (sort of like in those 2001: A space odyssey movies with the giant black thing). Then, you'd have to re-examine the idea of Jesus, and that's a whole other ballgame.

Good luck! ;)
You can definitely do something with the premise, and it doesn't mean you'd be making a Jesus fanfic or whatever. Hell, you don't even have to mention Jesus for that matter.

Take for example a graphic novel I highly recommend looking into: "Therefore Repent." It's a graphic novel based on what the author (a non-religious guy) came up with when one asks 'what would happen if the Christian right was actually right?' It takes place after the rapture where all the good Christian souls have ascended into heaven while everyone else is left on earth. It follows two people who were left behind and are just taking it as they go before the final Apocalypse comes. Things change though when angels in military gears and machine guns start shooting up the sinners, and those sinners themselves start to get weird magical abilities (like taking some burning ashes and then transforming that into a bunch of birds that'll poke your eyes out). On the face of it, it sounds like it could be stupid, but it's well done, follows believable characters, and tells a great story.

There's a lot of stuff you can do, and you can come up with whatever you think you would like. You can follow Jesus, you can follow Bob and Earl, Satan, or a minor demon - whatever you want. A premise is a very vague thing, just start with that assumption, and see what kind of stories you can come up with from there.
That's the dumbest story I've ever heard there r 2 many holes in it, first off if he kills everyone why did he come out of all his glory in heaven to die so we could have a chance to go to heaven. # 2 he's not going to destroy the world with water again ( that's where rainbows come from) It's going to be by fire, so if u make a game that is bout the second coming, make sure it's about whats really going to happen, not made up bullshit. I agree that a game about the second coming would be great, but like I said, it has to be done right, and u have already proven your not the man 4 the job!
Sabbath, ever hear about something called creative license?

Secondly, we are talking about making a game based on an event that has certainly not happened. It's ALL going to be made up bullshit.

Next time, don't come off like a belligerent cock and insult the poster. Okay? Okay.
Man I said this before and I'll be redundant and say it again, I really don't think this will turn out well if you go through this. I just don't think you're skillful enough to do it tastefully.

But hey man it's your choice.
Pages: first 12 next last