[RMVX ACE] MAPLESS/MAPLITE GAME FLOW

Pages: 1
It's immensely frustrating for me to do any maps as it's hard to gather resources I need (artstyles, copyright, pricing...) and the default RTP is immensely limited unless I do a gritty setting where things are broken and such. Does anyone have an idea for scripts/designs where I can keep the mapping to a bare minimum (no town, indoor, dungeon, etc. maps) so I can focus on the writing and scripting?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
There are a great number of free graphical resources available, which may need some minor graphical editing to splice them together, but nonetheless they can fit.

One solution is to cramp all the gameplay into one area. For instance, Craze's "Epic Monster Dungeon Explore" consists of a single minimally sized map, and fills it with encounters that pose a challenge.

It depends what game you want to achieve. What game do you want to achieve? If it's very story-based, you could create the game version of a bottle episode. Stick them in one location, but the interest is in the journey of the characters rather than physically moving from place to place.

All in all, less maps will minimize time spent mapping. You just have to figure out how that works in your game.
One idea I had is an approach similar to Puzzle & Dragon Super Mario Edition - you travel across a simplistic world map to enter levels where you encounter a set number of battles with occasional puzzle minigames to get treasure or find secret levels.
unity
You're magical to me.
You could do a visual-novel style game where everything is navigated by menus.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
RPGs where the only things between battles are menus where you prepare your team for the next battles and choose where to go are pretty common with flash games. RPG Maker is designed to make it really easy to do more than that, but that doesn't mean you have to.

Your battles and strategy and planning elements had better be pretty damn good, though.
author=LockeZ
Your battles and strategy and planning elements had better be pretty damn good, though.

That was the plan - right now, I'm pondering what kind of minigame(s) I want to bring in that would be used to avoid traps, collect treasure and follow different branches.
Pages: 1