YOURE IMPRESSIONS OF NEW 2K3 [RM2K3]

Pages: first 12 next last
(Grrrr, your*)

I want to hear everyone's impressions of 2k3.

We have stuff on updates, two whole threads. But I want screenshots, explanations of what your original game was set up like, whether it worked for you or not, etc. Doing this is good feedback, and it helps with the general process of feeling out "do I want to risk switching over yet?"

I have two games, Oracle of Tao & Tales from the Reaper. I switched Tales, but kept Oracle with illegal as I had far too many tweaks for it to even work without DynRPG. Tales has a number of battle tweaks, but I'll get to that.

1. I deleted RPG_RT.exe, I kept everything else pretty much intact, and copied a new RPG_RT.exe after making a test file (generally what I do to generate a clean RTP.exe). I also moved the whatever it's called, ultimate_etb. It worked without a hitch, from the three or so seconds I saw. Everything in its place and such, the maps look the same, and I see not visible gaps.
2. I loaded the battle. Urgh. It's default. Which, yes, I don't expect RPS+ from bugmenot (though I really do miss it), and I don't expect DynRPG. But I mean, I'd think with the long wait since the initial announcement, there was time to add in new features. The good news? The movement seems alot cleaner. My turn-based algorithm actually seems the work, and the monsters don't continuous flash (good news, as this means less of a chance poison malfunctions). You can tell this is what most of the time was spent on, and it works. The bad news? Basically, I was really hoping the Fight/Auto/Run menu would get done away with (or have a checkbox to hide). And I was hoping Pics In Battle was enabled. These two seem intuitive to me, as I can't imagine anyone using the menu (it rarely works), and as long as there is a routine to erase pictures with the transition between battle and worldmap (and vice verse) this is also intuitive that one should be able to add pictures to battle. Ditto for the Troop Preconditions Variable being only Or More (dropdown would be nice)
3. I honestly can't tell much of what's new, besides the color coding and such. Hopefully there is room to improve, both in terms of DynRpg compatibility, and maybe new features.

Ten minute playtest, my overall impression is good but not excellent. It is very good for the functional stuff at 9/10, but in terms of new features (brand new thing, I'm looking for fun stuff to do with it) is only about 6/10.

I do however like the window by default. Old 2k3 gives an annoying fullscreen open, and I'm always like "not right now" because while I wanted to playtest, I was multitasking as I'm super-ADD. Also really like the interconnectedness between battle and common events.

About to test it out. Yay, so now you actually can do stuff like "If hero cannot act" as a common event greatly helping the turn mechanisms. The same code in old 2k3 requires every status condition to be checked.
It's cool that it's there and fixed a few of the things wrong with the old RM2K3, but am not at all interested in using it for my project until DynRPG (and Hyperpatcher2) becomes compatible with it.

author=bulmabriefs144
About to test it out. Yay, so now you actually can do stuff like "If hero cannot act" as a common event greatly helping the turn mechanisms.

What? I'm not seeing that in Common Events.
It was never meant to be anything MORE than what it originally was so counting on 'new features' as anything other than a bonus (in other words, expecting any new features at all) is stupid.

Frankly, it's a better program than it was. Much. Full stop and that's all that matters.

No, I'm not counting the illegal hacks that people used. I'm not counting what Ace or XP or VX can do. I'm comparing it to the base program that it was and the new update comes up trumps all over. Better translation, clearer eventing, some fixes that were needed (battle speed) and some little bits like, oh, A WHOLE FUCKING ENGLISH HELPFILE FULL OF HELPFUL SHITE... much better engine than it used to be.

I give it an 8/10 - it has a few bumps that the original version didn't have but they are fixing those.
author=Milennin
It's cool that it's there and fixed a few of the things wrong with the old RM2K3, but am not at all interested in using it for my project until DynRPG (and Hyperpatcher2) becomes compatible with it.

author=bulmabriefs144
About to test it out. Yay, so now you actually can do stuff like "If hero cannot act" as a common event greatly helping the turn mechanisms.

What? I'm not seeing that in Common Events.

You wouldn't. It's one of the few new features, that Liberty scoffs at. You can now move Battle Events to Common Events by copy pasting.

author=Liberty
It was never meant to be anything MORE than what it originally was so counting on 'new features' as anything other than a bonus (in other words, expecting any new features at all) is stupid.

The original retranslation/bugfix was intended as exactly that yes. But when you test the program for long enough, it becomes clear that some lack of function is actually a bug, something the creators forgot to put in. And that the empty space was there for a reason, because they were planning to do more and stuff got shut down. I look at Ace and I see what 2k3 was intended to be (that said, I don't use Ace because of some of the horrible design decisions they made).

Lack of function is a bug (that's no CommonThisEvent built-in, hence no, it's not 8/10).

Just because it's a damn sight better than it was, doesn't mean it couldn't become even better still. This is what evolution is about, not that things do their best because after all they were "only" humans, or that this is "only" an old engine, and we are "lucky" to get it running this far. I look at page four of common events and I see this (some of which is redundant with the ability to move stuff).

You probably just see just the two top things, don't you?

Yes, we are lucky it works this well. But I see:
Built-in support for pictures in battle.
Being able to toggle the battle screen (even more) or even just taking out the auto battle
A real need for CommonThisEvent
Space below the initial party could probably be system checkboxes similar to the ones on Ace (filling in space is clearly hard though, I'd be okay if the first three were done)
Plus all that stuff on page 7 I mentioned.

(That's before any work is done to make DynRPG work legally)

In short, you look at the pages, and see empty space. I see exactly what could fit in this space, what has been intuitive from testing this engine since about 2009. I see untapped potential. I see a project where we can either choose to rest on our laurels and say "it's pretty good for what it is" or we can say "sure but what about this idea?" At the very lest, the Battle Screen has a large space usable for checkboxes, and another large space that could be used for something else. And still have space left over.

(Me ranting)

MOVING ON...

Anyway, that's not where such comments below go (put this on the other two pages). This is not a debate about the new thing this is "try the thing, and tell your experiences using the new program." Overall, I like the color-coded stuff, though I prefer <> to @ (sorry just me, @ makes it look like an XP clone) and think more work could be done. I like the engine, I just wouldn't rate it anywhere near an 8/10 after all that built-up. The two new features (importability and help), are worth their weight in gold, and they're the reason it's 6/10. Allowing plugins, would be a good next step, because it means whether you or I agree about stuff, I can still script what I want in. Given that I have CommonThisEvent plugin, I could simply add that back in.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Basically a downgrade over VX Ace in more or less every regard, the eventing not-withstanding but that's to scaffold the absence of scripting, and since I evented a whole ABS game in VX Ace regardless, I don't see the need to ever purchase it.

I hope this was the question the thread was asking. :o

It just feels like a pretty cheap ploy to milk fellas for more dough and hey if it worked good for them, don't expect me to respect such a ham-handed move, though.
That's why I would have to say, stopping before there is, at the very least, DynRPG support would seriously piss me off. Okay, yea, you've got a "legal" version, but it not only has about two new features (don't get me wrong, they're wonderful; however, the help file is soured by the fact that I've used most of these things so it would teach me only a small amount) and people seem to be reluctant to embrace the idea of expanding the program because "there's Ace." That's not a good enough reason to stop working.

Ace and 2k3 developed on separate routes, and 2k3 should continue to grow as a different program. Also, I could point out a small list of things, that even if we didn't change the menus at all, could still be fixed, and nobody would complain (PicsInBattle, CommonThisEvent, DynRPG support, none of these add any options to anything, but they are all very powerful updates without which code either skips the material in question or says "unsupported" to it). Having purchased it with no idea of what the official version contained, yea I feel ripped off (I'm less thrilled about paying 3.5x that for Ace though, when there was plenty Ace got wrong).

I'd prefer to use the legal version, but no have no respect for people who on the one hand insist that the old version is piracy, while on the other hand do nothing to add to the original, and scoff at people who even suggest that things could be better. Yeah, of course I'll continue to use an illegal version if the legal one is not a proper alternative.

Btw. This is precisely why I was wanting people to talk more about the actual experience of using it. I heard people who couldn't get it to work, and a great deal of hype, but no information on what is and isn't new. What to expect. So I've shelled out 19.99 on a program that is an upgrade on battle functionality, but a downgrade in terms of not having a few things built-in that DynRPG can do. If this page had been here earlier, I would tell myself that if I had anything besides a bare-bones unmodified version (Tales from the Reaper really does not have much in the way or plugins/patches, but it is DynRPG patched) not to waste my money on it. I can't see this selling well, without some more tweaks. But I want to see what it could end up being. So yea, mixed feelings. Right now 6/10 on everything but the battle function and screen resolution. Version 2 of official version might have a better review.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=bulmabriefs144
I'd prefer to use the legal version, but no have no respect for people who on the one hand insist that the old version is piracy, while on the other hand do nothing to add to the original, and scoff at people who even suggest that things could be better. Yeah, of course I'll continue to use an illegal version if the legal one is not a proper alternative.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was anyone on this forum ragging people for using the old version? Because, seeing as you kept bringing it up on the other topic, it seems to me like you've been totally fighting an enemy that doesn't exist. Heck, the RMN contest to celebrate the release of the official version allowed people to use the old version!
author=bulmabriefs144
You wouldn't. It's one of the few new features, that Liberty scoffs at. You can now move Battle Events to Common Events by copy pasting.

I see. And it even works for enemies as well. This is really useful. But the lack of DynRPG (and Hyperpatcher2) compatibility still won't make me consider using the legal version over the illegal sadly. My game's combat system won't function without those. If at least DynRPG is made usable with the new RM2K3 I'll probably step over to the legal version. Being able to use battle events in common events is a huge plus.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was anyone on this forum ragging people for using the old version?

WIP. Repeatedly, bringing up copyright as a sort of cudgel to bash fans of the old version with.

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/17753/

Basically, I'm okay with this version. It is really good, except for the whole DynRPG thing.

That's the problem. It can't simply be really good.

1:24:30-1:34:05

I should be impressed enough with it that I am liking it even if it has no DynRPG support (which I sincerely hope will happen). But instead right now, it stands squarely between the unpatched version, and the DynRPG patch.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sXlXZIXdjxVq5gh_lPFuFLMbMRzZe4BKPpRI13ZD2Qc
author=notes on the update
The event commands “Show Picture”, “Move Picture”, “Show Animation”, “Flash Event”, “Set Move Route”, “Play BGM”, “Play SE”, “Key Input Processing” and “Conditional Branch” now show additional information in the event script list.

Let me see if I notice anything.

• Show picture/move picture now has no bottom transparency, just the whole picture.
  • Show animation, nothing I notice off-hand, same for flash event.
  • Move route has more options, Switch ON/OFF, and I think either speed or frequency has been added, as well as maybe Animation ON/OFF. Nevermind, I rechecked it, that has it too.
  • Play BGM, maybe the Balance has been added? Honestly, I was hoping for an option to "Play Once"
  • Supposedly Key Input was changed, but I couldn't visually see the difference. So I looked at the help file. I think maybe the change is that some letters can substitute the numpad keys.
  • Conditional Branch, well, you get the idea.

And you wonder why I'm disappointed. That's basically it. The code notes mentioned changes to all of these, but I didn't see anything new. The only real change was a removal. Or is the official offline update an older version?
unity
You're magical to me.
Well, I don't think the site's going to get rid of it any time soon, as it's a staple and plenty of people are using the old version on their long-term projects. And if you've purchased the new version, you've paid your dues to the creators, IMO, so there shouldn't be any problems using the old one.

Then again, I'm looking forward to seeing how the English version integrates plug-ins and add-ons ^_^
author=unity
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was anyone on this forum ragging people for using the old version? Because, seeing as you kept bringing it up on the other topic, it seems to me like you've been totally fighting an enemy that doesn't exist. Heck, the RMN contest to celebrate the release of the official version allowed people to use the old version!

Pretty much this. I don't think we need another thread.
@Bulma: I wasn't scoffing at the new features, you dolt. I was saying that comparing it to the newer makers is silly (thus, expecting anything LIKE the new makers is something only an idiot would do as that was NEVER the plan when releasing it) and that any new features added are a complete bonus and should be treated as such. In fact, I pointed out that it was better than the original version of the same engine due to these new features. Learn to read, please.

And the official word on the site is that we're not going to be getting rid of the older version - not for quite a while (if ever - we don't know what the future has in store. Maybe one day someone more conservative in nature will take over and remove every game that isn't legal. Maybe we'll turn into another charas-project (kill me please)). Even if we did, we wouldn't get rid of the old library of games that used the engine in the past.
Blue

author=unity
Well, I don't think the site's going to get rid of it any time soon, as it's a staple and plenty of people are using the old version on their long-term projects. And if you've purchased the new version, you've paid your dues to the creators, IMO, so there shouldn't be any problems using the old one.

Yay!~

Then again, I'm looking forward to seeing how the English version integrates plug-ins and add-ons ^_^

I imagine the simplest way would be just making a "reader" that when the game runs, it looks for .dll and .ips files in their respective folders. Alternatively, I was envisioning something where the next DynRPG is sorta self-loading. Or something like XP's script system, where the system code is hidden, but you can plop down plugin code (I don't like that last one much, as it's too internal, and people can break 2k3).

Liberty, I heard scoffing. Pffft, I haven't heard anyone call me a dolt before, that's kinda funny. And yes, I suppose in that context, it is worlds better. But everything's a matter of comparison. I had hoped for "better enough that DynRPG being gone wouldn't matter" and this was "better than old 2k3, but worse than DynRPG 2k3."

Ewww, so charas project cannibalized itself? Yeah, I'm not so much fearful of an evil enemy banning the unofficial one, so much as I want to push it to that point where I'm like "yea no DynRPG (doesn't mean it isn't okay too) but I can do this, that, and that which the original couldn't do." Bonuses are what I live for in a new engine.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Liberty
Maybe we'll turn into another charas-project (kill me please)).
I shouldn't have laughed at this...

but I did.
But DynRPG isn't a part of the original and it should only be compared to the original - not the add-ons that people made for it. DRPG is completely different. It's like taking a patch that Bethesda made for Skyrim and complaining that it doesn't include any of the tons of mods that were made by fans.

Besides, there's probably a bug-fix in the works for the new issues, if I know Cherry and Nessy at all. I doubt it'll be up to your standards, though - it'll probably be a few new little features that make the engine a little better, but nothing up to what you're expecting. Scale back the expectations a little and you won't be as disappointed, perhaps.

Hey, about charas-project, I'm sure it's a nice place to the regulars, but all I remember is that when I went there looking for signatures to create the petition for getting 2k3 translated WAAAAAY back they laughed in my face, asked why they'd bother when it was for free!!! and then I got told off by a mod. No, seriously. Granted, it wasn't the first forum to do that - some of the Brazillian ones were complete assholes! - but for an English forum it was pretty sad to see. With their help we might have been able to get this going a hell of a lot earlier and already have had it for well over a year now. Granted, it wasn't just them, but they could have helped and they spat in the whole community's face at that time.

I hear they've since embraced the new version but still...
I'm just glad the new 2k3 is no longer trapped in the fucking 90's and it uses a borderless fullscreen window instead of the regular awful fullscreen mode that the vast majority of games still use to this day. Now somebody needs to tell VXP Ace that tie dye shirts aren't coming back in fashion and to get with the times!

Nah, man. "You Can You Will" by Joel Osteen ^_^; (I can see everyone in the room stifling a snicker) says rather than scaling back your expectations, you need to dream bigger.

I'd mostly be happy with DynRPG compatibility. I'd be overjoyed however, if even a fraction of some of the things I mentioned (the list is huuuuuge) were done. And I'd probably have an epileptic fit if some of the stuff I mentioned was done.

Pfffft, that doesn't surprise me.

I suppose the reason I'm so emotionally invested is because to me, I don't see it as a game mod, but rather "this is how I want the engine to run, therefore this is how the engine is supposed to run." Some stuff like BetterAEP are tweaks.
But some like the ability to import stuff from one area to another, it's like "okay, it's not there in the commands, but why is it disabled?" It seems like a number of stuff, was deliberately disabled because Enterbrain was like "I dunno how to deal with that, disable it." Stuff like that, where it seems like at some point there must have been something like that, because code is actually blocking it from happening. I call that "a-hole" programming, because it would be better just to make a gap where the stuff loads and predictably crashes, than be like "nooooo, you can never do that, because we're lazy and there's actually a glitch there, that we don't feel like fixing."
CommonThisEvents and PicsInBattle are in the same category to me as the import issue. DynRPG support is good, but most of the patches are probably non-crucial. I could pin down some things I think would make it okay without ever having DynRPG:

• CommonThisEvent
  • PicsInBattle
  • Change HP/MP for All Players or Enemies
  • Self Switches
  • More battle conditional branches in general (alot of stuff is like if monster is targeted or hero has a certain status, but there isn't alot of conditions for if a certain hero is targeted or monster has a status).
  • In the battle conditions bar, there is above Turn Num, Variable is number or more, first, why can't I compare it to another variable, and second, what if I have a variable that I need to be less than something?
  • You can't switch to another battle within a battle. Suppose you had two consecutive battles. You have to end the first, and start the second, rather than a battle with a story event then the switch to the new. This means after 8 monsters, you're kinda screwed, instead of just saying "Okay, this battle is done, (actually end battle and load another one, but make it look like you never left the first).
  • There is a spot between Rate and States in Skills menu that could conceivably have new stuff, and given that reflect reflects EVERYTHING, the very least ability would be checkboxes for no-reflect and to have the spell dodged by evasion.
  • To have extra party members stored somewhere, instead of having to fiddle with no exp leak and messy party change.
  • Condition Branches has If Item Is Used and If Skill Is Used.
  • The option to play BGMs once, or better compatibility in Music and Sound.

If even a few of these were done, I'd be rather happy, and clamlike. Or just make stuff DynRPG compatible, and I could try the rest.

See, the reason people use DynRPG in the first place is because they need to. That is, there are a number of issues that the creators could have put into the game, but didn't feel like it. So I try to figure out a workaround with plugins, only in some cases to find that the workaround isn't quite right. DynRPG should be for stuff way out of the norm, like a custom opening screen. But sometimes I wind up using it, just for bypassing simple targetting restrictions, and the fact you can't easily display what item you stole by item variable.

Also, I have a black and white tie dye, and the colorful lack of color looks awesome!
why dont they make DynRPG work with the new official release?
My only problem is that it seems to be laggy even if nothing is going on. Does anyone else get these issues? Dunno if its a graphics card/OS thing but that's the only thing that bothers me.

If you want anything new then you should probably just get a recent rpgmaker, if you want more control on the level of dynplugin then you should probably just learn to program already. I don't think there's a full on development team on standby ready to tend to your needs so it's better to just let it go.
author=amazonwalrus
why dont they make DynRPG work with the new official release?

Explanation here. Long story short, they want to, but they won't be able to for likely a good while.
Pages: first 12 next last