MY TEARS KEEP FLOWING AFTER HEARING THESE FIVE WORDS.

Pages: 1
No, seriously..

The five words are:
GAMES
RPG
ACTION
STRATEGY
PENTAKILL

and I have just one question for you guys, but only answer it if you've already spent COPIOUS amounts of time making GAMES.

EDIT:
"I actually want to know words and feelings that describe the emoticons that YOU as a player feels when you are playing a game that is really satisfing and amusing. "

By a perfect game I mean a game that would make you feel all emotions that you've never felt before, because the game is just so good and well made that you can't explain it with words.

If it ever existed of course...
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I'm not fond of the idea of there being a perfect game that ends all games, makes everyone happy and tries to meet every single desire a human can possibly go for. I used to be, but I'm not now, and that's only because for a million years I set myself up for failure by thinking there's a perfect game out there I can make that makes everyone love, praise and adore me. But it's okay that it's not true. There's room in the world for imperfect things. It's vulnerability that makes us happy with each other. Something that's imperfect is endearing. It's kind of sweet. Like seeing a child making a mistake.

My idea of a great or excellent game is one that reaffirms vulnerability as the key source for human connection. That may seem vague, but I believe it's what makes art special. Beauty comes in different forms; it's a self-transformative creature. But the idea that there's one perfect form of beauty can disable hopers from contributing equally creative and wonderful artistic creations. There's room in the forest for more than one Big Bad Wolf.
author=CashmereCat
I'm not fond of the idea of there being a perfect game that ends all games, makes everyone happy and tries to meet every single desire a human can possibly go for. I used to be, but I'm now, and that's only because for a million years I set myself up for failure by thinking there's a perfect game out there I can make that makes everyone love, praise and adore me. But it's okay that it's not true. There's room in the world for imperfect things. It's vulnerability that makes us happy with each other. Something that's imperfect is endearing. It's kind of sweet. Like seeing a child making a mistake.

My idea of a great or excellent game is one that reaffirms vulnerability as the key source for human connection. That may seem vague, but I believe it's what makes art special. Beauty comes in different forms; it's a self-transformative creature. But the idea that there's one perfect form of beauty can disable hopers from contributing equally creative and wonderful artistic creations. There's room in the world for more than one Big Bad Wolf.

Hi Cashmere!

Great point of view my friend!

Sorry I may have been misleading with my words.

I don't want to know what everyone's vision of a perfect game is.

Let me rewrite what I really mean:
I actually want to know words and feelings that describe the emoticons that YOU as a player feels when you are playing a game that is really satisfing and amusing.

unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah, I agree, there is no perfect game. Even a game that happens to cater very much to me in both story and gameplay wouldn't be perfect. It could be a wonderful experience if done well, and could even become my favorite game, but certainly wouldn't be the end-all-be-all of games.

Right now, the best I can think of for me is a game centering around the love of two women (tho there may be other couples in the game as well :3) in a heartwarming but not too heart-wrenching tale where characters switch sides, find love and truth, and grow, all with Final Fantasy Tactics crossed with Disgaea strategy RPG action where each character gains different special powers based on what other units are adjacent to them. I could go on and on but I better stop there XD (PS I may have a different answer to this five minutes from now :P )
author=unity
Yeah, I agree, there is no perfect game. Even a game that happens to cater very much to me in both story and gameplay wouldn't be perfect. It could be a wonderful experience if done well, and could even become my favorite game, but certainly wouldn't be the end-all-be-all of games.

Right now, the best I can think of for me is a game centering around the love of two women (tho there may be other couples in the game as well :3) in a heartwarming but not too heart-wrenching tale where characters switch sides, find love and truth, and grow, all with Final Fantasy Tactics crossed with Disgaea strategy RPG action where each character gains different special powers based on what other units are adjacent to them. I could go on and on but I better stop there XD (PS I may have a different answer to this five minutes from now :P )

lol, Thanks for the feedback unity.

What do you mean by "character gains different special powers based on what other units are adjacent to them"

could you give me an example of a game where this happens?
or is there no such thing, just a made up combination?

Sounds interesting...
Secret of Mana. The music was so beautiful that it made me cry. The story was incredible (despite with the translation feeling like it had been dumbed down or you were missing something), and still one of the best games I've ever played.

It pretty much summed up for me how an RPG should be, and broke the mold of the boring menu rpg. Weapons and magic that gets trained by use? Cat merchants. Santa as a boss in the game. The only game since that really did it in terms of novelty (although in weirdness factor, Earthbound and Mother 3 won) was the Kingdom Hearts series. Not to mention finding out interesting things about the translator's naming scheme for bosses (check out Aegagropilon for instance). It was interesting, the ending was a tearjerker, and the ending was incredibly satisfying. I've beaten the game twice, but that ending...

In short, the game makes me laugh with some of the silly stuff in it (when the sprite eats the entire ship's food, or the incredible stupidity of the Resistance), has a number of powerful scenes (the Thanatos cult, and the view from the mountain), and some genuinely sad parts. And this, from a 1990s game. Much of Final Fantasy got a good rep, but there were really too many characters to connect with any of them.

There's only a few games with this level of impact on me. The Earthbound games, just in sort of emotional disturbing deal (and campy humor). Terranigma (holy crap, when you figure out what the Elder means by "Crystal Blue are the tears of the outside world" not to mention the sad, sad ending). Okami, if possible even more, especially if you talk to everyone, and get 100 beads the ending just makes you tear up.

This game was basically what made me want to program. I play PSP and 2DS games, but lately most of them have failed to really capture my interest.

CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
@Sated Yeah. It's probably because people look for so many different things in RPGs, whereas if you're playing a Football Management Simulator you know exactly what you want and you know exactly what you're going to get. You can't criticize story, you can only criticize how realistic and immersive it feels, and if it does that competently, then you're sorted.
No game will ever please everyone. Even milk chocolate or sex don't.

But there are games out there that can move you in a particularly strong manner, depending on your personal tastes and knowledge of existing games, playing a new one that innovates or shows great design in one or more aspects can feel perfect to you.
For instance, Mega Man X and Super Metroid were groundbreaking gaming experiences to me back in the days and I still enjoy playing them.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
What the hell is up with this clickbaity title? LAAAAME.

So this isn't just a shitpost, I'll just say that the idea of "one game to rule them all" is short-sighted at best. I mean, if I were going to rank games that I play over and over for the sheer love of the game, it'd probably end up being Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, which would rule out a buttload of games in other genres against which DRMBM couldn't compete on other terms.

Traits for a good game of any sort I guess would be well-executed gameplay, a well-timed narrative flow, and excellent art direction, all centered around a particular theme. There isn't much more specific to say; if you have those three things, you've pretty much got it made. Anything else is just fluff.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Lots to read:

Any game developer worth their weight in gold will tell you that's far from the truth as there's no method to creating the "perfect game". Even ignoring personal bias, there are only so many things that can successfully click with other aspects and still have it palpable and relatable to the general public.

Alright, I'll state this as simply as I can. We've all got things that we respond to greater than others. As this is the case, the proposition of a "perfect game" is impossible. Even dismissing the personal aspect of reception, stories rely on relatable "building blocks" to invoke their intended feeling in the viewer.

Because the burden of proper storytelling lies as much on the subject as it does the author (some people miss the point entirely (see Braid)), all "correct" methods of storytelling are inherently equal in their delivery: either it works or it doesn't.

We're never going to have a single story that satisfies all possible venues, not because of the limitation of the medium (a book can be as long or as short as the author desires) but because you can't simply throw every good thing at a wall and expect it to stick.

Brevity is the soul of wit, so it pains me to have to write multiple paragraphs to explain a single one.

There's probably more that I've written, but I'll be damned if I go dicking around the web at 3 AM to find it.

Long-short retort: A story is only going to succeed in what it sets out to do. If it doesn't do that, it fails. I judge the "perfection" of a story on its own design.
None of us will achieve a perfect game, but we can try our damndest to make it the best we can possibly can ( within our skill level, of course ).
There is no perfect game. There are only perfect games.
I haven't spent any time on making games, but I firmly believe in this.

It doesn't exist. It's a myth. Stop this nonsense.
Not everyone will love a perfect game. All interested in the genre or whatever it has to offer, will.

A perfect game is a game in which all parts build a coherent experience and brings out whatever it's trying as good as possible.

This pretty much sums it all up.

Let me again enphasize the purpose of this topic, which may have been misleading to some.

"I actually want to know words and feelings that describe the emoticons that YOU as a player feels when you are playing a game that is really satisfing and amusing. "

I am not even making games right now...
I'm currently in the process of learning everything I can about coding/language as I am planning on developting games for windows and android devices.

author=Sooz
What the hell is up with this clickbaity title? LAAAAME

I'm sorry Sooz, you are right.
I thought I would be sneaky and no one would realize.
But I guess clickbait is becoming so well-known in the web that most people are starting to see it as clickbait lol

author=bulmabriefs144
The Earthbound games, just in sort of emotional disturbing deal (and campy humor).

From those you mentioned, I've played all.
But I only got to the ending of Earthbound, because that game was so unique it got me hooked into it's amazing atmosphere.

author=Corfaisus
Lots to read:

I wrote an article once.

Great article!! I'm saving this as a must read.

Thank you so much :)
Pages: 1