IS IT WORTH UPGRADING TO WINDOWS 10?

Pages: first 1234 next last
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
So my computer is offering the Windows 10 upgrade and I'm wondering if I should bother or if it will just make things more complicated. Right now i have 7 Home Premium running on a desktop without a pressure-sensitive screen; the installer info promises -'like-to-like" versions in the upgrade, suggesting similarity, but....
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Where's Windows 9?

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, each new operating system is slower, since they keep adding more and more stuff. Unless you want a specific new feature that isn't in the old version, no, you should always use the oldest version of Windows possible.

Exception: Windows 7 is faster than Vista.
BurningTyger
author=LockeZ
Well, each new operating system is slower, since they keep adding more and more stuff. Unless you want a specific new feature that isn't in the old version, no, you should always use the oldest version of Windows possible.

Exception: Windows 7 is faster than Vista.
But does 10 pathc vulnerablities left in 7?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
No, it always adds new vulnerabilities, it never removes any. If they knew of any problems that could be fixed, security or otherwise, they'd do it in a Windows Update patch. The new operating system is untested and it'll be six or seven years before it works as well as Windows 7 works right now. Don't get it unless it has something you need.
BurningTyger
author=LockeZ
No, it always adds new vulnerabilities, it never removes any. If they knew of any problems that could be fixed, security or otherwise, they'd do it in a Windows Update patch. The new operating system is untested and it'll be six or seven years before it works as well as Windows 7 works right now. Don't get it unless it has something you need.
Thanks for the advice. Of course I'll do my own additional research too. Eventually support for 7 will end, of course but that will be years away..
LockeZ
You've got another 22 months until they end support for Windows Vista, and Windows 7 support isn't expected to end until 2020. Given the popularity of Windows 7, they might extend its life beyond the original predicted end date, like they did with Windows XP.

Not that most people should have much reason to care about "official support" from Microsoft. End of support makes it a little harder to get a new computer working with that operating system, but it doesn't affect computers that are already running fine. It's not like Microsoft gangsters go around leaving severed horse heads in people's beds if they don't upgrade.

I mean, Enterbrain ended support for RPG Maker 2003 almost a decade ago, and never offered official support for it in America at all. Yet you still use that. You just get support from other people instead. There's obviously a difference - RPG Maker isn't a target for viruses - but the situation with Windows isn't as different from RPG Maker as you think. And Microsoft is even worse than Enterbrain about "two steps forward, one step back."
BurningTyger
I'll take your advice into account.
If you are on Windows 8 or 8.1, then for sure yes. As for 7 to 10... I still need to research it.

Since I don't qualify for the free upgrade for *reasons* I will be sticking with Windows 7 Pro at home for the time being. My laptop though I Windows 8.1, and I might take the plunge just to check it out. The thing is practically a brick anyway.
LockeZ
Oh, yeah, if you have Windows 8 and qualify for a free upgrade, and you don't mind reinstalling all your software, then... wait about two months to let them solve most of the really terrible bugs, but after that, upgrade that shit.

Edit: Two months might be too generous. It's still absolutely FULL of bugs right now. Maybe clone your hard drive first...
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=kory_toombs
Where's Windows 9?

I have Windows 98.
It's from the future.
I intend to. It's a free upgrade for me so at the very least I'd grab my product key for whatever use down the road. I'd upgrade though so I can finally get multiple desktops. It sounds like my issues with Windows 8, no start menu and no aero glass, have been addressed too. The performance gain and security fixes from W7 to 10 are just icing on the cake.

You never know what'll happen when hit by deadlines by third parties though, I'd give it a month before updating just to hear what the response is on the RTM version of Win10.
BurningTyger
I have 8.1 on mobile but 7 here. the free upgrade is free for a year after launch though i don't think it's even launched yet..
author=Ratty524
author=kory_toombs
Where's Windows 9?

Windows 8.1 is technically Windows 9.
unity
You're magical to me.
Windows 8 wasn't the eighth Windows anyways, was it?
Expect a lot of pain with emulators and rpgmaker games if you update to win 8.1/10. I just gave up on playing rpgmaker games now since they either break on start or run at shitty 30 fps when in full screen.
BurningTyger
thanks for the warning.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I will upgrade to Windows 10 so I can develop cool dumb games for the HoloLens, if nothing else.
Pages: first 1234 next last