WHAT IS THE CREEPIEST AND MOST DISTURBING GAME YOU HAVE EVER PLAYED?

Pages: first 12 next last
What is the creepiest and most disturbing game you have ever played?

- Not limited to engines or genres!
I think it might be Yume Nikki, 'cause the sounds, and the loneliness, and the lack of direction... and also that I didn't know what I was doing...
Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
What Liberty said. That game reaches into your head and plays with what it finds there.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
To me, Beautiful Escape isn't so much frightening as it is harrowing. The game didn't make me afraid, but there were scenes that made my hair stand on end, and the way the game lampoons moral sociopathy is disquieting and rebelliously tongue-in-cheek. The act of gamifying torture chamber sessions as puzzles indicates brave subversion of commonly established genre enclosures.

Truly frightening is Ib's opening sequence - a chiefly silent gallery crawl, punctuated by jarring yet understated scares. Atmosphere is the king sitting on Ib's throne, and gameplay is the son at his right hand.

The face overlay in It Moves is thoroughly terrifying, but perhaps also a trick commonly used cheaply. Non-RM game Lone Survivor's intro is nightmarish.
Hey guys, I played and beaten Beautiful Escape Dungeoneer as well.

I have no words for that game...it is SO unique!

It was also the first time I heard that song "Mad World"

:)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I've never been creeped out or disturbed by a game, and I definitely can't imagine it happening in a horror game. Give me a couple hours, though, and I bet I can find a necrophilia dating sim or something like that. I wouldn't actually play it, because why would I play a game that the fact that it exists disturbs me? I play games that I think I'll enjoy, not ones I think I'll hate.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Anything produced by that depraved Lunatic Calunio is creepy and disturbing. I fear no man, but that -thing-, it scares me...

I suggest people start with die2dance and join me in his rendition of hell, then work your way up to Beautiful Dungeoneer or Marvel Brothel if you can find it. Both of these games are a real piece of work
Ah, Marvel Brothel. Great game.

die2dance was fun though. :3
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I dunno, Dreaming Mary? Being faced with that shadow (no spoilers) really put me on edge.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as LockeZ on this one. I guess if I'm counting visual novels, some of the first-person depictions of mental breakdown in Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night were a bit unnerving, but generally, creeping me out in a video game requires making me do stuff I don't like the idea of. Like, gameplay based on wandering dark hallways while being stalked by a murderer, not that scary. Gameplay based on stalking innocent victims down dark hallways and murdering them, that might creep me out. But then, I just wouldn't play it in the first place.
Alien Isolation for the most recent.
Then Silent Hill 2 and Alone in the Dark for early-nessy days

The Noose for Kinetic Novels.
Personally, I think it's Eversion. Even though I'm not the type to be terrified by games (jumpscares are just startling at first and quickly lose tension), that would be it.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=Desertopa
Like, gameplay based on wandering dark hallways while being stalked by a murderer, not that scary. Gameplay based on stalking innocent victims down dark hallways and murdering them, that might creep me out. But then, I just wouldn't play it in the first place.

Really really don't play Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer then.
author=nhubi
author=Desertopa
Like, gameplay based on wandering dark hallways while being stalked by a murderer, not that scary. Gameplay based on stalking innocent victims down dark hallways and murdering them, that might creep me out. But then, I just wouldn't play it in the first place.
Really really don't play Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer then.

Yeah, I had a look at it while I was looking for downloads. If it's played for black comedy, I don't think it would scare me, but it's definitely not something I'd choose to play.

Deception was kind of interesting from a "force you to do bad things" standpoint, since the protagonist's hands are kind of forced by circumstance, but he's really plunged into it. But the delivery is weakened a lot by the state of the graphics and dialogue. Back when I first played it, there were definitely times when it felt kind of creepy (it helped that I wasn't very good at the game at the time, so I spent a lot of time feeling like I was in kill-or-be-killed circumstances with people stalking me around my castle who I had to murder before they got me first,) but revisiting it years later I wasn't really able to recapture that feeling.
League of legends, nothing is more frightening when you're on promo and someone on your team disconnects....
Thank you guys you are all so sweet.

For me, it's definitely The Longing Ribbon. A game that uses RM2K RTP yet manages to make me scarequit... yeah.

By the way, Marvel Brothel is now hosted at GameJolt.
Oh shit, how'd I forget Longing Ribbon?!
Also, Desert Nightmare has some neat scares and stuff thrown in.

RE:Marvel Brothel - saw that a few weeks ago and d/l'd already. Muahahahahah!
author=calunio
Thank you guys you are all so sweet.

For me, it's definitely The Longing Ribbon. A game that uses RM2K RTP yet manages to make me scarequit... yeah.

By the way, Marvel Brothel is now hosted at GameJolt.

Oh yes, The Longing Ribbon, I also played that!

Never heard of the Marvel Brothel until now
http://nicoisas.blogspot.com.br/2010/11/story-behind-marvel-brothel.html

Interesting ^^

author=Magi
Anything produced by that depraved Lunatic Calunio is creepy and disturbing. I fear no man, but that -thing-, it scares me...

I suggest people start with die2dance and join me in his rendition of hell, then work your way up to Beautiful Dungeoneer or Marvel Brothel if you can find it. Both of these games are a real piece of work

Looks so great!
but I don't think it suits my playstyle

"You're a regular demon. Satan has called you to make the Hell Disco Club a more entertaining place. You must gather the lost soul of dancers in Limbo and bring them to Hell, trying to make the Hell Disco Club more fun. Discipline your dancers and make sure they dance according to the music! "
Pages: first 12 next last