WANTING TO LEARN A NEW ENGINE. RECOMMANDATIONS

Pages: 1
A senior and much better game developer in my university recommended me to learn an engine better suited for commercial development and distribution then the rpgmaker. He pointed out how there is not easy way of porting from the rpgmaker engine.

Looking for recommendations. What should I learn.

Note:
Majoring in computer science.
Hope to be a professional game developer someday.
Feel like my design skills have exceeded all other skills such as programming or spriting.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
better suited for commercial development and distribution then the rpgmaker.

RPG Maker has one of the easiest skill-to-sales ratios I've experienced. I don't get why you'd need to port from the RPG Maker engine when mobile development has been known to be notoriously hard to make money from.

But you're majoring in computer science, so I'd recommend to practice in one of the languages. Game Maker is a fantastic engine, but I doubt you can put GML on your CV for a software job. Do what psy wombats does - make a game using Java. He uses libgdx, which is a Desktop/Android/BlackBerry/iOS/HTML5 Java game development framework, so that would be very useful experience. Plus you can likely embed your game in a webpage and refer prospective employers to it.

But to be honest, in my opinion, don't aspire to be a professional game developer solely. Software jobs pay much better, and working for a game development company is apparently soulless work, unless you do an indie venture, in which case you better make sure you know what you're doing because the indie market is very competitive.

RPG Maker commercial games are the easiest and lowest barrier. Degica will pick you up even if your game is half decent presentation-wise. I'm not saying this in a derogatory way towards the RPG Maker engine, I love the thing. But it is so easy to make a profitable game from RPG Maker as opposed to other engines, because it is in my experience the easiest game engine to use that will create commercial-grade games.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Game Maker seems to have some decent games out there. And it has some capabilities that are harder to achieve in RPG Maker. I mean its good at making certain kinds of games, but hey if you don't want to make an RPG...

But RPG Maker is easier to learn.

Why not Unity or Unreal, then? C/C++/C# are still in high demand.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
My personal favorite is Unity, which is capable of porting easily to nearly any device available and definitely capable of making commercial-level games. Plus, C# is a very commonly-used language and could definitely be useful in future jobs and whatnot. Unreal Engine isn't a bad option either.

If you're interested, I recently wrote an article on getting started with Unity~
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
author=Hazard
Majoring in computer science.

No reason to ask then. Unity knows the answer.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Gonna have to also say Unity owns. If you're set on making an RPG though, you might wanna either change your mind on that or stick with RM. You're not going to make an RPG in Unity off the bat.

Unity's gonna serve you more in developing your skills in your major. Nobody impresses DigiPen with an RPG Maker 2000 game on 5 floppy disks. Well, unless your name is BadLuck..
Pages: 1