[RMVX ACE] HOW CAN I MOVE THE AIRSHIP FROM 1 MAP TO ANOTHER WHILE IT IS IN THE AIR

Pages: 1
in final fantasy 3(not final fantasy 6 on super nintendo) there is a floating continent that can be accessed only by airship.(the airship can move away from it and back to it.) i want the same in my game but i am completely stuck and nothing i try works. i tried map events but they do not respond to the airship. i tried common events but that did not help either. please help me out.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Are you sure you're not thinking about Final Fantasy 5?

Anyway, this...

...was as far as I got. From what I'm observing from this, after the map transition, the airship theme plays, and appears hovering over the player character. The action button can be used to board it, but, the player character isn't automatically on the airship after the transition.

This probably isn't the kind of thing you are looking for. However, I believe this is a good base to build from.

*Edit: Sorry, read the request wrong. Let me try something else, then.

*Edit2: Well, from what I can tell, the airship can only respond to a Parallel Process and/or Autorun. I would suggest a Parallel Process. You probably want a Conditional Branch that checks to see if the player is riding the airship, then teleport to the areal fortress if it's true. However, I assume that a game-switch needs to be active so that it can only occur when the player gets so far into the story-line, and maybe another trigger/action, as I assume you want players to be able to choose when to assault the aerial fortress, and not just whenever they get on the airship.
i was not referring to final fantasy 5. i was referring to final fantasy 3 which was released on the NES and the ds. there the characters start on a large land that is a floating continent and once they get the second airship they can leave. the way it works there is that the player goes directly from map to map while still in the airship and as such i need a player touch event or something similar. i just tested wether action button would work and it does not.(likely because it is bound to landing the airship.)
Marrend
author=andreasaspenberg
i just tested wether action button would work and it does not.(likely because it is bound to landing the airship.)

Um, did you not read?

author=Marrend
Well, from what I can tell, the airship can only respond to a Parallel Process and/or Autorun.

Anyway, I have an insane proposal for you. The maps that can be traversed via airship? Set them up as normal, but, set the player's sprite to be that of the airship for those maps. That way, you should have the functionality you desire.

Of course, it goes without saying that you revert the sprite when you're done, but, I figure it can't hurt to mention it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you want to create an event that occurs when the player presses enter on a specific spot, what you need to do is create a parallel process event. In the parallel process event, create a pair of conditional branches that chec the player's X and Y coordinates. If the X and Y coordinates are in the right spot on the map, check if the player is riding the airship. And if that condition is also met, make a fourth conditional branch inside those three that checks if the player is pressing the Enter key. If all four conditions are met then you can do your event, which I assume is boarding an aerial fortress or whatever.
i do not want the player to use any buttons, just fly the airship to a certain area in order to get to a different map and keep flying. events can not check the location of the player in rpg maker vx ace unlike 2003.(one of the reasons i am stuck in fact.) there is no aerial fortress but a floating continent with towns and dungeons of its own. please help me with this.
Marrend
author=andreasaspenberg
events can not check the location of the player in rpg maker vx ace unlike 2003.

Wait, what? How long have you had VX Ace? It's under the Control Variables event-command. Chose "Game Data", select "Character" on that screen, then "Player". One of the first options in the follow-up drop-down box is "Map X", even!
if you think it will work, then you have to tell me how.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It's very similar to the process in RM2K3, the options are just labelled a little differently. Set a variable equal to the player's X-coordinate like this:

Then do the same thing to set a second variable equal to the player's Y-coordinate.

Then make conditional branches checking if those two variables are equal to the coordinates of the spot you want the player to be at. If you want the player to be at spot (10, 24) then use one conditional branch to check if the first variable is equal to 10, and a second conditional branch inside it to check if the second variable is equal to 24.
If the above doesn't work, try spriting the air fortress such that there's a small space to land on so the player can walk into the entrance on foot.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. It's an old saying.

LockeZ' explanation was as straightforward as anyone can get. Create a parallel process. In that parallel process create a conditional branch. Have that conditional branch check to see if player is at the transfer coordinates using the Map X variable. If yes, create a conditional branch in the previous conditional branch that checks to see of the player is riding an airship. If yes, create a conditional branch in the second conditional that checks if the player is pressing a button. If yes, transfer your player/vehicle to a different map.

author=andreasaspenberg
i do not want the player to use any buttons.

Then don't. Skip the step where you create a conditional branch checking for button pressage and just have the system transfer the player upon confirming player position and vehicle possession.

author=andreasaspenberg
events can not check the location of the player in rpg maker vx ace unlike 2003.

I'm trying very hard not to laugh. You've got it a little backwards. 2003 is the one that doesn't check player location and makes you go to the trouble of creating a common event that checks player position. VX Ace, however, has made location checking and step counting into a preset variable so that you don't have to create a coordinate checking event. All you have to do is go into your variables, select which two variables you want to use and go down to presets and turn on Map X in one and Map Y in the other, and they're ready to use.
the information i got here overloaded me and as such i was unable to work until today and that is why i have been absent. is there any way to make airships trigger a player touch event.(the solution i was provided works but it is extra work for me.)
Marrend
author=andreasaspenberg
the information i got here overloaded me and as such i was unable to work until today and that is why i have been absent. is there any way to make airships trigger a player touch event.(the solution i was provided works but it is extra work for me.)

With the default event-commands and scripts...

author=Marrend
Well, from what I can tell, the airship can only respond to a Parallel Process and/or Autorun.

...no.

*Edit: I suppose a script might be able to do it, but, that seems to me, like, ten a hundred times more work and frustration (particularly with all the debugging you'd need to do) than using the solution at hand.
pianotm
Take it from someone who likes to play with airships in his games: unless you (unlikely in the very immediate future) or someone else (Trihan will do it for a fee) creates a script that allows you to use touch transfers on airships, you are stuck using a parallel process. Your only other option is to create a portion of your air fortress on the map and leave a small space for the airship to land on so that the player can enter on foot, which was LighteningLord2's suggestion.
Inside of script module Game_Player Lines 397/398 for the player touch

def check_touch_event
return false if in_airship?

And at lines 405/406 for Action button events.

def check_action_event
return false if in_airship?

If you wish to allow either of these to trigger, when in the airship, comment out the line "return false if in_airship?".

On another note, I am adding into my vehicle_passibility script the ability to allow the airship to activate player_touch and action_button events.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Export the airship graphic and put it into a normal character sheet.
Then make the airship an actor. When the players board the airship
remove all other actors and add airship to number 1 slot.

Done.
pianotm
There's just one problem with caitsith2's script: it would allow the airship to transfer to any map, even triggering doors and entering buildings.
And that is why I am adding in such that you have some control as to what the airship is/isn't allowed to trigger, by regions. Default values is behave exactly as if nothing triggers.

A note tag can be added to the map, or script called from some event code, will be able to specify region numbers that the airship can activate touch events. Of course, the airship flying into another map is good, when you specifically want it.

And of course, if you go the simple script line modification route, then all you have to add to events you don't wish to allow the airship to activate is a conditional branch: airship is driven, and put the event code into the false side of the branch. That would only need to be done on maps that the player can fly the airship on.
i will do some testing with that script change suggested in the earlier post once i start working on it again. my game is mostly inspired by final fantasy 3 and that have a floating continent.(the player starts there in final fantasy 3.) in my game the player gets ported to it and have to leave by airship.
sorry for bringing this back up but, after the rpg maker was updated, the script modification suggested no longer works. i therefore need a new solution. i know its been almost 5 years but, i have been busy with other things. i have not even been in here for years.
Pages: 1