Videogames? - Results

Yes
53%
No
12%
Welp
34%

Pages: first 12 next last
I guess I'm too old for videogames, I'm not interesed in any of the games showed at the E3, and I dislike most games coming out, except for a few exceptions, and I actually prefer playing "retro" games (I like playing SNES, PSX, GBA and PC games from 95-2005)

Most of the reasons I hate videogames nowadays are:

- DLCs
- Removing content that was supposed to be in the original game, only to add them later as DLCs
- Shitty indie games
- Shitty pretentious games
- Shitty pretentious indie games
- Simplified mechanics
- "Youtubers"
- "Gamers" (Oh look, i'm gamer, i like minecraft and my favorite game is a zelda, lol)
- Free to play, Pay to have fun
- Mobile games
- Meme games (Like Goat Simulator)
- "Retro" games, I'm tired of seeing games with a "retro" look, is just a mess a of pixels and it looks nothing like game of that time
- Reviving old franchises, only to kill them again (Thi4f, Diablo 3, Dungeon Keeper, etc.)
- EA
- SJWs

The second crash of videogames is coming soon
This entire list/post is finely cherry picked and covered in rose tinting, so I'm gonna pick "welp" and let other people argue with you in my stead.
unity
You're magical to me.
I love video games, I'm just highly selective about the ones I buy and play these days. I love RPG Maker games, too!

Personally I'm pretty good with video games right now because they are a million times more accessible and cheaper than back when I was a kid. Like, instead of renting a game for a weekend I could just buy a whole one off of steam or play one of the hundred bajillion free games plus it wouldn't just disappear off the shelves either never to be seen again.
author=Pizza
This entire list/post is finely cherry picked and covered in rose tinting, so I'm gonna pick "welp" and let other people argue with you in my stead.

Ok

author=Sated
Welp!Welp! Welp! Welp! Welp! Welp! Welp! Welp! Welp! Welp! Welp! Welp!

I don't understand people saying they dislike a whole media format.

When I said "I hate videogames" I said it in way kinda ironic, I should change the title to "I hate what the videogame industry has become" or "Probably I'm a nostalgiafag"

author=unity
I love video games, I'm just highly selective about the ones I buy and play these days. I love RPG Maker games, too!

Good point, if you don't like a game just ignore it and play your favorite ones instead, and I like RPG Maker games too (even though 80% of them sucks)

author=GreatRedSpirit
Personally I'm pretty good with video games right now because they are a million times more accessible and cheaper than back when I was a kid. Like, instead of renting a game for a weekend I could just buy a whole one off of steam or play one of the hundred bajillion free games plus it wouldn't just disappear off the shelves either never to be seen again.

That's another good point, back then you were lucky if you had more than 30 games, now I have more than 500 games in this PC, and you can get another hundred for free on the internet

I think I have reached another conclusion:

I love videogames, but I hate what the videogame industry has become, we have reached a point where only 20% of games are worthwile, but that 20% is what makes it special

Btw: I know that back then it was pretty similar, most of the games in the NES sucks, but we only see the good ones (Mario, Zelda, Megaman) and I know some recent games are pretty good too (The most recent game that I play regularly is Dota 2, Dark Souls is another one that looks pretty good but I still haven't got the chance to try it)
author=El_WaKa
nostalgiafag

tell internet i said hi
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You're just mad because you can't hold up and get wrecked by my MLG 360 noscope skillz
Magi
Resident Terrapin
The video games industry has become too much of an industry, it's been stifled by its own success. It's afraid of new ideas that don't come in the form of hardware advancements, and it's no wonder. Development costs have never been higher, and audiences have never been more generalized. Everybody should have seen this coming though, companies exist to maximize profits and minimize risks. When the risks outweigh the potential benefits things start to stagnate. That, friends, is the price of mainstream success.

p.s. if you dig long and hard enough you will still find good indie and mainstream games. I understand the sentiment though, games used to fill people with a sense of wonder. Maybe they still do, it's just that some of us have become a lot more cynical.

I know people are eating up Axiom Verge, for example, but I just see literal metroid plagiarism and roll my eyes
I still enjoy video games, and will for a very long time, but as I get older time for video games have to compete with...well, not only things I have to do, but I develop tons of other hobbies as well, so I don't have that much invested in them like I did before, so I'm not really...disappointed like I would be when I was younger and basically video games was a large chunk of what I did. I'm not very cynical because what used to be video game time is now...other shit I do every day.

I still enjoy mainstream stuff, the production value is pretty insane, (Dragon Age and The Witcher are tons of fun, etc), and I also enjoy smaller scale stuff too, like Transistor and the like.

On the other end, while I certainly understand and mostly agree with the flaws of the current industry, that doesn't stop me from enjoying games on the individual level. "Man, the Witcher is less fun because the industry's rising costs!!!" That doesn't happen for me.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Video games are stupid, but good video games are awesome.
author=Magi
The video games industry has become too much of an industry, it's been stifled by its own success. It's afraid of new ideas that don't come in the form of hardware advancements, and it's no wonder. Development costs have never been higher, and audiences have never been more generalized. Everybody should have seen this coming though, companies exist to maximize profits and minimize risks. When the risks outweigh the potential benefits things start to stagnate. That, friends, is the price of mainstream success.

p.s. if you dig long and hard enough you will still find good indie and mainstream games. I understand the sentiment though, games used to fill people with a sense of wonder. Maybe they still do, it's just that some of us have become a lot more cynical.

I know people are eating up Axiom Verge, for example, but I just see literal metroid plagiarism and roll my eyes

Couldn't have said it any better

author=Corfaisus

This perfectly sums everything

author=Feldschlacht IV
On the other end, while I certainly understand and mostly agree with the flaws of the current industry, that doesn't stop me from enjoying games on the individual level. "Man, the Witcher is less fun because the industry's rising costs!!!" That doesn't happen for me.

Let's put an example: Morrowind and Skyrim

Skyrim looks cool, the atmosphere is nice and it really makes you feel that you are in a whole new world, but just take a look at this page, and you will see that many great things from Morrowind were left behind :http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Differences_Between_Morrowind,_Oblivion,_and_Skyrim

For example:
- No more attributes, I kinda like the perks system, but I want attributes back

- Dialogues, I liked going to new places and ask to people about quests and important places, the dialogue in Skyrim feels kinda generic (But I must admit that even in Morrowind almost every NPC was the same)

- Armor, a full set of armor in Morrowind is made up of nine pieces and you can even wear clothes with your armor, this brings much more variety, Skyrim? Only 5 pieces

- Spellmaking, not available in Skyrim, and they even removed many spell effects, like Levitate, Jump, Blind and many Summons

- Skills, severely simplified, the weapon skills was reduced to only One Handed, Two Handed and Archery, so someone who is skillful in using spears can switch to a two handed hammer without problems...

I don't want to know how the next TES game will be, because I know for sure they will focus on the atmosphere and the experience, but severely dumb down the mechanics
I love video games. Sure, there are some shit ones out there being made/that have been made, but as a whole the media is an amazing thing. I still find wonder in people being able to enter someone else's world and interact with it - to see, hear, feel the creation of someone else, to be a part of that world. It's really amazing.

Also? I preferred Skyrim to Morrowind. Oblivion is in the middle-ish. Sometimes removing stuff in order to make a game more accessible to others is a good thing.
author=El_WaKa
I'm not interesed in any of the games showed at the E3, and I dislike most games coming out, except for a few exceptions

(...)

Same here. Same here.

I still love video games as a medium. Games I'm really interested in are rare, but no less valuable.

Just as I cannot bear much of the habits and series and fandom surrounding manga/anime, but I still enjoy the medium. Just not everything.
You know what's awesome about this site? If you think video game producers can't get a decent game going, you have all the tools available to do better.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Welp,
author=Corfaisus

and some stupid video games are awesome too.
Video games are better than ever. There's more choice, there's more variety and more possibilities. There are games for fucking everyone. So everyone is a gamer. Which is awesome. And all the time there's stuff that is even more incredible.

So yes. There's a lot of games to hate these days. Because there's games for everyone. So there'll be games that are definitely not for me.

Oh I didn't see this:
I love videogames, but I hate what the videogame industry has become, we have reached a point where only 20% of games are worthwile, but that 20% is what makes it special
Btw: I know that back then it was pretty similar, most of the games in the NES sucks, but we only see the good ones (Mario, Zelda, Megaman) and I know some recent games are pretty good too (The most recent game that I play regularly is Dota 2, Dark Souls is another one that looks pretty good but I still haven't got the chance to try it)
20% seems like a lot. Seems like a pretty fucking good deal even. The reason we only see the good ones from the past is because those were the ones that made it. It's funny re-reading some of my old gaming magazines from the 90s where half the games barely make the 50/100 of "playable". None of those barely playable games are mentioned ever again by anyone. (except for the poor fool who bought Total Recall on the NES and was forced to play it because games were so expensive in the past).

Even the gaming industry seems pretty decent these days. There are easy-to-use engines (Unity, Unreal, other things that start with U) so games can be made by few people and look good and with interesting concepts. Digital distribution has made it possible for anyone to get their game out there and sell it.

So I mean... It's literally the best time ever to play games!
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Video games are getting better all the time. Like all media (and like everything really) I feel like they have a long way to go, but I've seen enough really fantastic things done with video games to to be anything but optimistic :)

I disagree with a lot of your individual points, though! All of the things you listed have their place, y'know. It's the abuse of them without regard to the players or the game's purpose that sucks. For example, DLC is not a bad idea in theory! When I was a kid, I had no problem buying the Brood War expansion for Starcraft, because it was a lot of new stuff to explore for a game that I already loved. DLC works the same way! It's the abuse of DLC that sucks (charging lots of money for things that should be in the core game, 3.99 for premium gun skins, etc. etc.)
Gotta throw it at Karate Kid and see if it can beat that!

Or Rush'n Attack!

Or Ice Hockey!
Pages: first 12 next last