Yes
53%
No
12%
Welp
34%

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=kentona
Pretty soon we won't even have to play games anymore - AI will play them for us.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/60573/20150615/mari-o-ai-program-learns-play-super-mario-world.htm

There's actually a game which uses a similar system:

http://nerogame.org/
author=kentona
Pretty soon we won't even have to play games anymore - AI will play them for us.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/60573/20150615/mari-o-ai-program-learns-play-super-mario-world.htm

There's actually a game which uses a similar system:

http://nerogame.org/
maybe the only reason I dislike DLC is because I'm poor. :p

The game with the blind girl is weird, it's like hey I gotta tell all my blind friends about this! Oh wait they can't play it. Oh well, I like that she's blind though, this is gonna be a really fun game thanks to her disability.

"Simplified mechanics" I fail to see how this is a bad thing, shouldn't you add some context/explanation

"Youtubers" I hate this too. I'm horrified by the fact that everyone now is watching games being played instead of playing it themselves. Almost in a sad way, like I'm becoming the old person with his old hat ways, except that watching Let's Plays is logically wrong. The scary is part is when enough people do it in which case, in a social context, it technically becomes the correct way to experience a game meaning I'd have to do it too.

"Gamers" Eh, I think games should be inclusive.. but... Things like the above is where I draw the line.

"- EA"
well all game companies are evil. They all release bad games unapologetically. Gaming is this weird culture where everyone who's a "true gamer" is supposed to automatically know which games to avoid, and then proceed to praise (or just support, maybe not always praise) the companies that compulsively attempt to exploit them. Gaming is a like pyramid scheme in a way where it's us on top, the casuals on the bottom.

"- SJWs"
What gets me about SJWs is that they never talk about the gameplay, controls, mechanics of a game, they look at things like the amount of females/minorities and how they represented. Very superficial and disconnected from the actual gaming element. But the thing is, all the male gamers are just talking about games through their graphics, violence, and theme/setting, effectively making them no different from SJW's.

"I (like or dislike) this game because it stars a grizzled white guy chainsawing zombies in a 1920s New York and blood splatters everywhere"
Videogames have become t-shirts.

The second crash of videogames is coming soon
You know, that's something I've been wondering about recently. (see my pyramid scheme comment above) Also, maybe there's something telling about the fact that the Wii market just up and left before the 7th gen ended. But maybe that was the gaming crash right there. The survivors are us, the persistent ones, we're the ones keeping this going.
It also makes me wonder if, seeing as it happened to the Wii, it could also happen to mobile gaming. Games like Flappy Bird could just be the Wii Sports of the 8th generation.
author=zeello
"Simplified mechanics" I fail to see how this is a bad thing, shouldn't you add some context/explanation

See the Morrowind vs. Skyrim comment...

I don't have problems if its a new game and is supposed to be that way, but when they change something that was already established in a franchise...
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I hate video games. That's why I make them.
I know I said I wasn't going to engage in this topic, BUT

zeello
"Youtubers" I hate this too. I'm horrified by the fact that everyone now is watching games being played instead of playing it themselves. Almost in a sad way, like I'm becoming the old person with his old hat ways, except that watching Let's Plays is logically wrong. The scary is part is when enough people do it in which case, in a social context, it technically becomes the correct way to experience a game meaning I'd have to do it too.

I really don't think people watch Let's Plays to supplant the experience of playing a video game. They watch them to be entertained by the hosts, and often because they've played or otherwise are familiar with the material being played. I can speak from personal experience that I've never watched a Let's Play with the intent of "now I don't have to play this!", but have seens tons of games through Let's Play which I've then bought and played myself.

Also the notion of an "incoming second crash" is pretty hilarious if you know why the first one happened.

So I mean... It's literally the best time ever to play games!
CashmereCat
I like Let's Plays. They're fun to watch.
Skyrim may have less mechanics than Morrowwind, but there's several things I'm glad are no more:
-Acrobatics no longer leveling up means you can't literally skip over every part of the gameplay. Oblivion has a similar bug that lets you skip the maingame by using your own pants as a jumping point in a very troll science-y way.
-No more hit calculations so that when you split someone in half with a greatsword, the swing doesn't do no damage with the claim you missed.
-Fewer armor slots means it takes less time to complete a set. There's no real reason to not wear a complete set of one armor as there's no benefit to mix and match. In fact, I wouldn't mind if body armor was only one slot (maybe a head slot to put on silly hats).

So, basically, removing mechanics is not always dumbing down, it's making the game less dumb.
but have seens tons of games through Let's Play which I've then bought and played myself.

But if you watch the LP first then you've spoiled the game for yourself and aren't getting a personal/objective experience.
Also the notion of an "incoming second crash" is pretty hilarious if you know why the first one happened.

Which is how?
On that note I wonder if maybe LPs are a good thing since it prevents another gaming crash, and maybe also because it's basically a quality control network for games. (although maybe it has the opposite effect since now it just makes every game seem good... but then again what difference does it make as long as people continually buy games they've watched LP's of and like the game for that reason)
There are different motivations. For storydriven stuff or point and click adventures I actually did use once or twice so I don't have to buy (!) and play the game myself. (+ the "puzzles" suck 90% of the time anyway).
Or to see nonsensical people do nonsensical stuff with games I would never play anyway.

Then there's using them if you are at a tough spot and don't know how to proceed, getting to know how other people play and react.

Using it as a preview, too. My brother usually goes for the first episode or so of the let's play to see whether the player is engaged or not, and to get a feel for how the game plays out and is worth buying or not.

And many simply enjoy watching people play stuff. I know a friend of mine likes to just sit and watch while I tried new stuff on his console

----------------

We've all been there, sitting together playing games. Taking turns playing games and watching while the others went at it. At least I hope so, because that's a hell of fun!

Scary? We watch people in sports, we watch people drawing stuff (streams!), we watch people perform in music, we watch people in reality shows, we watch people in all kinds of situations, and many seem to enjoy it, rather than doing it themselves. Why would gaming be a holy exception? And why would that be such a bad thing?
There will always be those who do not enjoy it, those who rather play games themselves, who prefer doing that.
Why do you feel you would have to change your ways if you like them? That, for me, is a scary thought. Why would you have to change your behaviour based on what others do?

.. as for how the market is going. There's a lot of wrong going on, and I said it somewhere else before, it probably won't pan out long-term.
And all we can do is not support it. Not the specific games which may or may not use DLC and exploitive measure, but avoiding the companies behind it.
With so many great indie titles and so much variety, just buy what's worth its money and you are good.

If you can't make this decision for yourself, you may still feel upset, but then that's the choice you made.
zeello
But if you watch the LP first then you've spoiled the game for yourself and aren't getting a personal/objective experience.

Not necessarily, but I'll grant you that it could happen if you watch too much. Personally I wouldn't watch/continue watching a Let's Play of something heavily story focused or that could be spoiled. It all depends on the viewer in question though.

Which is how?

Largely because the market became polluted with bad games (which is the one symptom that's still happening today) and because of that people became disillusioned about the industry and began to regard games as a novelty/child's toy or a fad, and lost interest in supporting game companies like Atari.

I'm going off of memory from my VG History lectures a few months back, but I'm fairly certain about this.

The difference today is that the shitty shovelware isn't more prominent than the quality/popular games, and gaming is now a much more solid and founded industry with ties to Hollywood, the writing industry, the press, TV, etc. Gaming is much more widely regarded as a legitimate artform & business than it was back then. We're pretty far gone from there being a danger of an industry wide crash IMO- I think if a crash did happen it would be like, a particular company going under.
Then there's using them if you are at a tough spot and don't know how to proceed, getting to know how other people play and react.
Personally I don't approve of looking up help in games. I have done this plenty of times in the past but I've decided to get off the drug so to speak.

Using it as a preview, too. My brother usually goes for the first episode or so of the let's play to see whether the player is engaged or not, and to get a feel for how the game plays out and is worth buying or not.
This is the only thing I want. But I do this less and less nowadays because 1) I just want longplays not Let's Plays where the player makes commentary, but whenever I look up a game on youtube the search results bring back Let's Plays, and 2) The first part of the game is full of story and tutorials, and thereby won't give me an accurate picture of how the rest of the game plays. This is also usually a boring part of the game for that reason, and I don't like the idea of having to do sit through it twice. (once on youtube, and the second time when actually playing the game)

I find I've regressed into usually just watching trailers for a game. Which is odd since they're basically commercials. It's annoying watching one to the end only to find that the trailer contained no gameplay.

We've all been there, sitting together playing games. Taking turns playing games and watching while the others went at it. At least I hope so, because that's a hell of fun!
It's not THAT fun. Also it's not the same as an LP, because at least when taking turns you're playing the game in person. (and seeing it in person, which imo is totally different from seeing it in youtube)

Scary? We watch people in sports, we watch people drawing stuff (streams!), we watch people perform in music, we watch people in reality shows, we watch people in all kinds of situations, and many seem to enjoy it, rather than doing it themselves.
But watching people do those things isn't a replacement for doing it yourself. Nobody looks at someone drawing or watches someone snowboarding and think "I've experienced drawing and snowboarding".

Why would gaming be a holy exception?
you're suggesting that I'm holding games to a different standard, but maybe that's not the case. Because if someone never watched movies but simply read the plot of every movie that comes out or watches podcasts that regurgitate the entire plot for them so they don't have to see it, then maybe that would be equivalent in a way to someone who simply watches games being played.

And why would that be such a bad thing?
Because it clouds the objectivity of playing the game, and in turn this causes the people who wish to actually play games themselves to become irrelevant. In a way, choosing to play the game on your own becomes a self-imposed handicap. It would as insane as if choosing to personally watch a movie or personally read a book meant you were no longer experiencing that work by a mainstream standard. The book or the movie would be nothing more than its social context and not the content contained within, so to actually read/watch it for yourself would be pointless.
I myself use trailer mainly myself. They work very well, especially for niche-titles. AAA trailers have little of actual game in them, so you know what to expect as well. A trailer gives you an art-style, a musical style, a little bit of gameplay, a little bit of story - and most important of all, a focus. What did they focus on in their game? What do they think is what drives it?
Works surprisingly well for myself.

author=zeello
And why would that be such a bad thing?
Because it clouds the objectivity of playing the game, and in turn this causes the people who wish to actually play games themselves to become irrelevant. In a way, choosing to play the game on your own becomes a self-imposed handicap. It would as insane as if choosing to personally watch a movie or personally read a book meant you were no longer experiencing that work by a mainstream standard.

Why would they become irrelevant? Why would they not be able to just SKIP the entire let's play scene?

And I do not - by any means - mean to suggest that watching someone do something can REPLACE the thing they are doing.
HOWEVER, what I meant to say is that watching someone do something gives you a different value. Not the same thing, but something different, which may or may not be enjoyed.

Which is why it is a completely different subject entirely. Watching game-plays is not the same as playing games yourself, and I see no reason why you would judge anyone on that.

You also missed what I was asking you about - you feeling that soon "everybody will have to do it" - why would that be?

Look at the big sports event. Football is a big thing (here in Germany anyway), and guess what - some people like watching it, some don't. And some of these who do so play themselves, or they do not.
Nobody would automactically say that if you enjoy watching it, you would enjoy playing it or vice versa (although the latter would be more likely to).

There are plenty of people who draw little themselves, but admire those who do and can. Or try to use it to get tipps or tricks for drawing (which, in games, would be in competitive play, which also often has a e-sports scene).
It gives you a different way of dealing with the same thing - in this case, art. Consuming art, creating art, analysing and improving art. Saying you have to enjoy all of them would be silly.

What is different about enjoying games in different ways? Would watching e-sports be much worse than watching a football match?

I may be wrong, but it seems are worried it might become more important than gaming itself. Why is that?

I agree that Let's Plays could potentially be a sort "instead of playing" thing. But some Let's Players just has a crowd watching them that isn't really interested in the games, it's more about how the one playing reacts, makes jokes, personality etc. The playing of games is just an excuse.
For example, a couple of my games has Let's Plays that has hundreds of thousands of views, yet none of my games has more than 50.000 downloads. It would be silly to think that all the people that watched those videos were actually interested in playing my games. Maybe a tiny, tiny fraction of those people actually went and played the game themselves.
Nobody would automactically say that if you enjoy watching it, you would enjoy playing it or vice versa (although the latter would be more likely to).
That's exactly my point. Nobody would say that for sports. But for videogames it's more believable that someone would say that.

There are plenty of people who draw little themselves, but admire those who do and can. Or try to use it to get tipps or tricks for drawing (which, in games, would be in competitive play, which also often has a e-sports scene).
I agree, watching others play makes sense from a competitive standpoint, and in principle this is no different from watching a vid teaching you how to draw. But a lot of games (dare I say the vast majority of them) are not competitive. These games therefore ought to be experienced in isolation. When people get mad when you spoil the ending of a movie, that's a similar principle being applied. They didn't want "tips and tricks" for the ending of a movie, because they understand that a first time viewer is supposed to experience the movie in a certain way.
CashmereCat
author=SnowOwl
I agree that Let's Plays could potentially be a sort "instead of playing" thing.

I think part of the entertainment that comes from watching Let's Plays is just to see how others react to things you've already experienced. I played about 10 minutes of Skinwalker, then later I watched Markiplier play it for about half an hour or so, because I found it enjoyable seeing how he reacted. I also watched a let's play of Ib after I'd played quite a bit of it myself, just to watch how someone else reacted. It's the same reason why I'll watch a film for a second time with someone whom I want to see it. Seeing games like It Moves gain a lot of traction with online Let's Plays is satisfying because I like to see hard work given its fair due. Seeing Let's Plays for RPG Maker games alongside commercial horror games gives me insight into the strengths/weaknesses of these games for players outside the usual RPG Maker circle. It's enlightening, I'd like to think.
Well. With my actual point ignored, I can step out with a clear and good mind.

It is different from experiencing firsthand, indeed, (which was my whole point), and whether you see it as spoiling the indended experience or as getting a different experience instead is your choice to make.
You have your reasons for that.
If you think playing it is superior in all ways, then I get that.

But please don't create this imaginary pressure in which this business will rule anything else.
Good day, sirs.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
Why not "I hate modern videogames"?

I agree with a lot of your points, but I love videogames! <3
I just don't like what people call videogames nowdays...

author=El_WaKa
- Free to play, Pay to have fun spend time

Fixed that for ya :P
I still like games; I just don't have time to play console games anymore. I prefer portable games now, that I can play on the subway on my way to work or a friend's house, when I don't feel like reading.
Pages: first prev 12 last