FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

unity
You're magical to me.
author=GreatRedSpirit
I'm hoping the DLC is a giant horrible grinding meandering sidequest on par with the nonsense of the various hoaxes and at the end Aeris is still dead but then Reeve drives in MechaAeris that he made and also pilots and she gets a missile punch limit break

I would buy that dlc

"Stop making out with MechaAeris!"
author=mawk
can you imagine the new wave of 'how to revive Aeris' hoaxes? these are exciting times.

I'm excited for the second wave of MMO characters named Sephiroth. 2004 will rise again.
author=JosephSeraph
i am depressed
i hope they release a story mode with no battles

I'm surprised this hasn't become a thing yet. I love video games, but I seldom have time to play very many, and quite often I settle on a well done game edited Youtube edition, which I find more entertaining than many of the Hollywood films I watch.

Why game companies haven't made movie-like edits to some of their titles and sell them is beyond me; since I'm sure there's a market for people who would like to watch the story, even if they aren't into playing them. It'd be a great way to recoup some profit amongst those who would rather watch a film-like version at a portion of what the full game would cost.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
i don't want games to become more like movies when the medium can be so much more interesting. don't encourage them =P
This isn't games becoming like movies though. This is making a medium adaption by transporting a game to the medium of a movie.
Craze
if your game's story is told through non-interactive cutscenes...
That's why i said adaption and not slapping xD but you got a point
Jo, I think you're taking things a bit too seriously. We're still in pretty early days so a lot can change between now and the release. Don't get so upset about it until the final work is done. As a dev you should know how things change over the course of creation, after all.

Besides, as stated, the battles shown thus far seem to be just prettier versions of the normal ones in the game already. Like, they even have an ATB, so chill a little and enjoy the ride~ No need to cry doom and gloom quite yet. XD
Personally, I'm on the fence about it. On the one side, I like the episode formats of games like Asura's Wrath and Alan Wake, especially when there is the "previously" recap. And I imagine it could work with rpg's, as well. But I also understand the curiosity and fear-mongering from those who played the game, know the story, and may get put off by a remake that breaks the story up even further.

But... it could also be that SE isn't planning to charge for every episode. Perhaps they will eventually release it as one bundle, but rather than make everybody wait for its full completion (which could be years away), they figured the die-hard fans who want something now will pay a fraction of the cost for something that equates to the first disc.

It really is up in the air, because if they go the episode route:

1. Will people have to buy part 1 to be able to buy and play part 2 and so forth.
2. Will saves carry over.
3. Will there be a full bundle at the end of it all for those who want to wait?

I'm just happy they're finally remaking this, not so much because I care for it, although at one point I did, but more or less so that people quit screaming about it and SE can finally move on with something else.
author=Feldschlacht IV
Yeah, lately I've been getting the vibe through their recent releases and decisions that Square Enix is slowly, but surely getting their shit together and is no longer content to being a disappointing laughingstock of a company, especially compared to the consistent juggernaut they once were.

I believe there was even an announcement signaling as such, and I think the statue of limitations of "Square Enix LOL!" is definitely set to expire if they play their cards right. Like mawk I am supremely interested to see the design of where they take the remake because I'm generally impressed so far.

Holy fucking shit you are such a pathetic moron.
User was warned for this post
...and i see a warning incoming...
What an angry guy! Look at my DJ cat, maybe it will chill you out.
Craze
re: se not sucking, while i'm happy that SE retracted deux ex's pyramid scheme pre-order shite, something in the back of my mind makes me want to say it was all planned. i mean it's win/win -- either they get a fuckton of money for nothing, or they get the publicity of taking down their pyramid scheme. obviously i have zero proof BUT WHO KNOWS

that said kh3/ff15/ff7 are bleeding ffxiv of its content and staff which worries me because if they want to keep it going as strongly as it did, they need to have an intervention (se pls. trash kh3 and give us more ffxiv)

edit: lol is that guy the evil doppleganger of littlewingguy? i like lwg, he should come around and post more =/
Guys, I wasn't wrong about the ATB still being a thing. So far it's still there. Newest images of battles~

Apparently they want to keep it close to the original in gameplay style whilst still giving a new and fresh look for the UI. They're still tweaking the menus, but hey, ATB is still there! X3

(Also, destructable area pieces looks like they might add a bit more strategy to battles.)
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
oh thank god. I was worried it would be another ff15/kingdom hearts adaptation
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Deckiller

Hopefully it will be. I notice that they have a triangle icon by the ATB meter, which makes me think that you can move freely but you need to expend ATB to perform commands, so it's like XIII-3.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
inb4 the atb bars are only for your limit breaks and everything else is kingdom hearts style
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Well, the fact that "Materia" is even in the combat menu tells me that the battle engine has already been somewhat altered. You know, it's nice to be able access equipment options in combat, but not being able to do it is a limitation I've always felt that RPGs legitimately needed.

Oops! You brought your flame saber into a battle against a Bomb? You'll know better next time, won't you?
author=Sailerius
author=Deckiller
Hopefully it will be. I notice that they have a triangle icon by the ATB meter, which makes me think that you can move freely but you need to expend ATB to perform commands, so it's like XIII-3.

I thought it might be for level of Limit Break. Since it says Lv 1 next to it, and only the first bar on the limit one is full, it might trigger that.
The game couldn't be remade they said, it is impossible they said.

They were wrong.