FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

hey I like action RPGs like Diablo and MMOs too, but I derive the most satisfaction from the challenge of building my character's skills/equipment/party/class to face the game's obstacles (most often battles). The battles are a test of my ability to plan, anticipate, and craft a well-rounded and powerful avatar. I hate it when it is undone simply because I can't press buttons fast enough. I don't like having my twitch skills tested unless I am specifically playing an action game.
Yeah, that's fine, but that's not what I'm talking about. I think we're apples and oranging here.

author=kentona
I derive the most satisfaction from the challenge of building my character's skills/equipment/party/class to face the game's obstacles (most often battles). The battles are a test of my ability to plan, anticipate, and craft a well-rounded and powerful avatar.

I agree, so what I'm saying is that I don't want my ability to plan, anticipate, and craft a well rounded and powerful avatar to make the game easy. I want my ability to do those things to be met with an appropriate challenge where I can test those tools and use them to conquer that challenge, not steamroll it, which is what I was contesting. There are plenty of pure (not action) RPGs that meet even the best planning and party with real challenge that feels great.

You responded that that mindset is most applicable to action games, and my retort is that instead it should be applicable to all games.

author=ken
I hate it when it is undone simply because I can't press buttons fast enough. I don't like having my twitch skills tested unless I am specifically playing an action game.

Sure, but that's not what I'm talking about (although your ability to press buttons fast enough and correctly is also a skill, but isn't a requirement for a game to be a game or a challenging game).
I love apples. Fuck oranges.

*is currently eating a banana*
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
You two need to play a Shin Megami Tensei game. Good planning and party setup is needed, but doesn't make combat overly easy/boring thanks to the battle mechanics. No action RPG or action game with RPG elements there.

EDIT: Oh right. Something on topic. Hm...

The screenshots are leaving me feeling pretty "meh", honestly.I'm not sure what it is about JRPGs recently, but this trend of shrinking UIs is starting to annoy me. Maybe I'm just getting old, but all that information packed into each character's status window looks really hard to read from a distance. I can imagine having difficulty reacting to perilous situations when I'm trying to read my character's basic stats. It was obnoxious in FF15 and it looks even worse here with even more info crammed into the same space.

I'll have to see it in action to tell for sure.
I don't even like the timed hits in Super Mario RPG.

aka I am bad at videogames.
author=Red_Nova
You two need to play a Shin Megami Tensei game. Good planning and party setup is needed, but doesn't make combat overly easy/boring thanks to the battle mechanics. No action RPG or action game with RPG elements there.

Already a big fan of the series, and a perfect example of what I mean.
What's Shin Megaman Tensei?
A lesson in powercreep when powercreep is a van and you drive it off a cliff after replacing a dead battery
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=kentona
What's Shin Megaman Tensei?

*Suppresses violent urges to gush*

Depends on which subseries you're talking about. For simplicity's sake, and because I think it's a good gateway drug for FF fans, I'm referring specifically to Digital Devil Saga.

You can micromanage the abilities for your party members by customizing their skill loadouts, and battles are still turn-based. Playing well will net you extra turns to attack, and poorly chosen moves will cause you to lose turns. Same goes for the enemies.

No twitch skills needed for DDS's battles, and you still get rewarded for your ability to plan, anticipate, and craft a well-rounded and powerful set of heroes without the boring battles.

EDIT:

The three ticks next to the ATB bar worry me. The modernization of FF7's combat system is... even more waiting to store up actions? I guess it could work if stronger moves cost 2 or 3 ATB ticks, but adding more wait time isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I think about improving a battle system.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Red_Nova
I'm not sure what it is about JRPGs recently, but this trend of shrinking UIs is starting to annoy me. Maybe I'm just getting old, but all that information packed into each character's status window looks really hard to read from a distance. I can imagine having difficulty reacting to perilous situations when I'm trying to read my character's basic stats. It was obnoxious in FF15 and it looks even worse here with even more info crammed into the same space.

My TV screen is four times the size it was in 1997, and I suspect yours is too, so to be honest I think it's actually the same amount of information in the same amount of space. It only looks smaller on a computer monitor.

Being semi-transparent definitely makes it feel smaller though, even though it isn't. It's the same size but it takes up less of the screen. I'm ok with that. Especially in an FF game where the visuals are guaranteed to be top-notch.

In a vaccum, looking at a screenshot, the semi-transparent interface also makes it take a split-second longer to read because it's a little harder to "find" the text on the interface, because it's surrounded with game world stuff instead of with a solid blue rectangle. But in practice it's in the same place for the entire game, and it's the only thing on the screen that doesn't move, so your brain gets used to it very, very quickly.

Guard Scorpion 1997
Guard Scorpion 2017

author=Red_Nova
EDIT:

The three ticks next to the ATB bar worry me. The modernization of FF7's combat system is... even more waiting to store up actions? I guess it could work if stronger moves cost 2 or 3 ATB ticks, but adding more wait time isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I think about improving a battle system.
Reminds me of Septerra Core. While there were other shortcomings in that game, the 3 tick ATB bar was actually interesting. iirc, it basically equated to 'quick attack - medium attack - heavy attack', which translated into a bit more depth in your selection of moves (ie, a quick attack to finish off an almost-dead opponent or smaller weaker opponents vs waiting a full atb cycle)

3-tick ATB bar is on my (long) list of mechanics to explore in a developing an RPG.
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=kentona
I derive the most satisfaction from the challenge of building my character's skills/equipment/party/class to face the game's obstacles (most often battles). The battles are a test of my ability to plan, anticipate, and craft a well-rounded and powerful avatar.

I agree, so what I'm saying is that I don't want my ability to plan, anticipate, and craft a well rounded and powerful avatar to make the game easy. I want my ability to do those things to be met with an appropriate challenge where I can test those tools and use them to conquer that challenge, not steamroll it, which is what I was contesting. There are plenty of pure (not action) RPGs that meet even the best planning and party with real challenge that feels great.

You responded that that mindset is most applicable to action games, and my retort is that instead it should be applicable to all games.

author=ken
I hate it when it is undone simply because I can't press buttons fast enough. I don't like having my twitch skills tested unless I am specifically playing an action game.

Sure, but that's not what I'm talking about (although your ability to press buttons fast enough and correctly is also a skill, but isn't a requirement for a game to be a game or a challenging game).

Agreed, for the most part.

(Hero's Realm suddenly makes more sense, hearing Kentona's ideology. XD)

Streamlining combat and infusing "action" elements into more classic jRPG mechanics isn't a new thing for the series, though. It's just been seeping into Final Fantasy very gradually - first with the ATB (which was a pretty significant shift), and then again in FF7-9, where they kicked it up a notch. Speed and quick-thinking became essential to the underlying strategy of the battle system.

In fact, I'd even say it's been shifting gears more toward a "Kingdom Hearts" type of system for almost a decade (with FF12/13 and even more with 15), although hopefully it's not quite as utterly mindless as something like KH.

For better or worse, it makes sense for Square to forego the classic FF7 system to fit with the aesthetic of the remake...although hopefully it keeps enough similarities that the "spirit" of the original endures.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Red_Nova
There are three likely possibilities I can think of here:
1) The ATB bar is only for limit breaks and summons. Everything else can be used at will, and combat is Kingdom Hearts style.
2) The ATB bar is FF13 style, filling up all three bars in under a second, and characters use multiple actions at once, or occasionally "heavy-hitting" actions that take multiple bars (AOE spells, summons, limit breaks).
3) The ATB bar is more traditional, and most actions take one bar, but the extra bars are there to make the system less punishing to people who take their time. This would mean that if you take extra time to input a move, that time isn't wasted. Your gauge keeps filling up and storing the overflow ATB. This could be a really good replacement for the Wait Mode that older FF games used, since Wait Mode would be hard to implement in a game where enemies and characters move around on the battlefield.

My hope is for #3 but my money is on #1.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=kentona
author=Red_Nova
EDIT:

Reminds me of Septerra Core. While there were other shortcomings in that game, the 3 tick ATB bar was actually interesting. iirc, it basically equated to 'quick attack - medium attack - heavy attack', which translated into a bit more depth in your selection of moves (ie, a quick attack to finish off an almost-dead opponent or smaller weaker opponents vs waiting a full atb cycle)

3-tick ATB bar is on my (long) list of mechanics to explore in a developing an RPG.

That's basically how FFXIII works. You have an ATB meter with varying numbers of subsections (which you can increase per character through plot, sidequests, equipment, etc) and abilities cost a number of ATB meter segments. It was the best implementation of ATB I've seen and lent itself well toward a more dynamic feeling of action while still being turn-based.
Again, they did say they wanted to keep it as close to the original game as possible, just updated a bit more for the times.

That said, about the UI, it does indeed look smaller, but as stated above, a part of that is tranparency. Another part of that is being moved to the sides instead of taking up all of the bottom area. As also stated, if it's in the same place the whole game, it should be easy enough to get used to.

...I wonder if they'll still allow rainbow windows and messing around with colours or not.
author=Liberty
...I wonder if they'll still allow rainbow windows and messing around with colours or not.

I can absolutely see them putting that in post release if they don't include it on release; that was a really cool and popular aspect of FFVII's UI that I don't think any other FF really had.
LockeZ
Liberty, I don't know why you keep saying that they want to keep the gameplay close to the original game. Is that some new backpedaling they're doing? When the game was initially announced they confirmed it would have action combat and that the game's ATB bar was not going to be used the same way as FF7's ATB and was only meant to look similar to invoke nostalgia. (I think I remember seeing somewhere it was only for limit breaks but I can't find the quote.) And then Nomura said basically the same thing again in October.

Interview with FF7 Remake Producer Yoshinori Kitase
Some fans seem to want a remake that is mainly visual upgrades, with none of the story or gameplay altered. Was that ever considered for the project?

Kitase: The starting point was – and our executive producer Hashimoto-san has mentioned this – it would even be okay if we just upped the graphics to the quality of Advent Children. But, in terms of game styles and battle systems, it’s been 20 years since the original, and a lot has changed. Trends have changed, and I believed that we needed to revisit and rethink that aspect for the remake.

What drove the decision to move away from the traditional turn-based system toward action-focused combat?

Kitase: We haven’t completely transitioned into action, but as our director Nomura-san says, Final Fantasy (in terms of action games) is best represented by Dissidia in the current landscape. In terms of the Final Fantasy action battles people have experienced themselves, that is most familiar to them these days. In terms of the image of the battle system, that’s where we’re getting the feel from. It won’t be as action-focused as Dissidia, of course, but the the visuals and how the gameplay feels in essence will be drawn from that Dissidia-esque style.

Interview with FF7 Remake Director Tetsuya Nomura
Sounds like you’re breaking your backs over remaking what was originally a command-based battle system into an action style battle system.

Nomura: The battles in Final Fantasy VII have greatly changed from the original, since they’re something with more action in them. The next time I release information about the Final Fantasy VII Remake, I think that I’ll definitely have to explain the specifics of what the battle system has become to the players. I think right now that nobody is really able to imagine a concrete battle, so I’m in the middle of coming up with steps that I can show and explain to people, "It’s this kind of battle."

We’ve heard a lot of Final Fantasy VII fans also say that they want to play the game with the original ATB style, but for the remake we’re proceeding toward an action-heavy style. Of course, we’ve added systems that future fans will be able to enjoy, so people who are bad at action-style battles, please don’t worry. For those who excel at action-style battles, we’re working to make this a system that’s different than what you’ve used before and can still enjoy. Recently, we checked the Guard Scorpion at the beginning of the game, and I think you’ll be satisfied with the realism you’ll feel there.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Thank God.
When those images were released there was a quote talking about how they're trying to keep it close to the old gameplay. Of course, that could mean that they want to make certain aspects close to it like the HUD design, or that they want to keep the base attacking/magic/limit break/etc ideas. Breakable environment is a new addition and it's not impossible that they'll change their minds about things as they go, too. Just, for now, they've kept a lot of the base details.

There is a reason they showed screenshots instead of video, I guess, too. And apparently they've been having issues with some AoE attacks (grenades hitting allies was the cited current issue).

I just think it's too soon to worry over them 'wrecking the experience' when what they have showed is pretty much an updated version of what they already had. A few new details here and there but pretty much the same.
Red_Nova
author=LockeZ
author=Red_Nova
I'm not sure what it is about JRPGs recently, but this trend of shrinking UIs is starting to annoy me. Maybe I'm just getting old, but all that information packed into each character's status window looks really hard to read from a distance. I can imagine having difficulty reacting to perilous situations when I'm trying to read my character's basic stats. It was obnoxious in FF15 and it looks even worse here with even more info crammed into the same space.

My TV screen is four times the size it was in 1997, and I suspect yours is too, so to be honest I think it's actually the same amount of information in the same amount of space. It only looks smaller on a computer monitor.

Being semi-transparent definitely makes it feel smaller though, even though it isn't. It's the same size but it takes up less of the screen. I'm ok with that. Especially in an FF game where the visuals are guaranteed to be top-notch.

In a vaccum, looking at a screenshot, the semi-transparent interface also makes it take a split-second longer to read because it's a little harder to "find" the text on the interface, because it's surrounded with game world stuff instead of with a solid blue rectangle. But in practice it's in the same place for the entire game, and it's the only thing on the screen that doesn't move, so your brain gets used to it very, very quickly.

Guard Scorpion 1997
Guard Scorpion 2017

Actually, my first time with FF7 was a couple years ago when I got it on PSX. I played it on the same TV as the one I plan on playing the remake on. The information is much, much harder to read in the remake. The size of the meters and numbers are way smaller now than they were in the original, making it that much harder to read.

The original layout may not look as sleek as the remake, but it absolutely took up more space on the screen and was easier to read. In the original, I can look at one character's HP and read everyone else's instantly through peripheral vision, which is useful after being hit with a strong party-wide attack. In the remake, there's so much space and different elements between HP bars that it will take longer to read. And that's just with two party members. With three? Oof...

The transparency is an issue, yes, but not nearly as bad as the organization and size of the information you're supposed to be reading. If you take the original party status window, layer it on top of the remake's, and resize it to fit the same dimensions as the new one, it's still a lot easier to read:

Same dimensions, but one is a lot more readable even shrunk as it is.

Of course, this is all pointless niggling if the game is easy enough that finding this info on a moment's notice is not required. But if the battle system is as action-y as Kitase and Nomura say so, then I'm pretty sure this will be a problem. Besides, bad UI is bad UI no matter how unnecessary it is to read it.