FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

i hope they create... materiachanges. in-battle materiachanges.
as i've previously stated
i need to watch vincent materiachanging

singer cid
SINGER CID

SSSSSSSSSSSSSINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
CIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
no chrono trigger nor parasite eve i'm sad
what was that poster and song about >:^C
author=LockeZ
Yes, that is what I'm saying, Feld. I realize you're emphasising how dumb that would be because you're being sarcastic, but read your own post again, and imagine that you're instead emphasising it because you're trying to point out how terrible Square Enix has become.

Square Enix has done some dumb stuff but nothing that dumb.
author=LockeZ
author=LightningLord2
Wait, the original wasn't a mash A to win game? I'm being honest when I say most of Final Fantasy - I tried out every game from 1 to 7 - plays exactly like this. Not gonna bother playing a 40 hour snoozefest to fight the one and only battle that requires any form of thinking.
What they need to do is fix and rebalance the materia system, but what I absolutely guarantee they're going to do instead is completely remove it, and replace it with nothing.

The team that made Bravely Default isn't working on this game. The lead director for this game is Tetsuya Nomura, who despite being the biggest person in the company, has never actually directed a game outside the Kingdom Hearts series. He's the art director for the entire series from FF7 on though, and the movie director for FF7: Advent Children, and the guy responsible for all the belts and zippers.

I just hope they bring back Ito for the gameplay designer. He was the gameplay/combat designer in FF1 through FF9, the lead game director for FF6 and FF9, leader of the emergency team that took over FF12 after the entire original team ragequit and left the company halfway through the game's development, and the designer of Triple Triad in FF8. He's the only person left at Square Enix that I have any respect for. He's not one of the three people credited in the E3 cinematic, though, which worries the hell out of me that they're going to use the FF15 team instead.

My faith in this project is so low, I'm immune to magic.

Oh wow. So it might end up being style over substance, like Advent Children was?
I think the camera angles in normal gameplay should still have the fixed perspective just like the old game because thats what the original artists wanted you to see. However I want there to be an option of being able to freely look around in 3rd and first person as well so that we can get closer looks at the world's details.

I think the battle system should mostly stay the same but a few tweaks would be fine.
This game needs to show that traditional Final Fantasy battles are still viable in today's games.

Finally, I hope they don't mess with the story or characters.

For the record my favorites is Final Fantasy IV but I'm glad VII is finally getting it's long awaited remake. If I had to guess it won't be out till 2017.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
Wow, I must've made a wrong turn somewhere, cause I'm in the forums!

You guys realise they'll incorporate all the crap from the spin-offs, right?

No Uematsu or Sakaguchi, a different team, new overdetailed character/location designs, more emo/dark than the original and present-day Square-Enix gameplay.

Some parts aren't even translatable to the serious HD tone they seem to be going for: Nanaki dressed as a human walking on two feet, cross-dressing Cloud, snowboarding, inconspicuous sailor Barret, logic defying Shin-Ra infiltration, etc.

Final Fantasy VII is an important game for me, but this seems more like a reboot, I'd prefer a remaster with improved overworld 3d models and balanced battles.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
If you liked the recent FF games, you will like this remake.

If you liked the original FF7 but don't like recent SE games, you're going to hate this remake.
author=Solitayre
If you liked the recent FF games, you will like this remake.

If you liked the original FF7 but don't like recent SE games, you're going to hate this remake.

Like Feld said, I think SE are pretty aware that the response to their work in the past decade has pretty lukewarm. It would be a true shot in the face to their fans to radically change the essence of the FFVII to be more in line with the spinoffs, so hopefully that ISN'T the case. ;__;

Considering all that's riding on this game financially, I don't really see that happening.

author=Iddalai
Final Fantasy VII is an important game for me, but this seems more like a reboot, I'd prefer a remaster with improved overworld 3d models and balanced battles.

Agreed. As long as they keep the original script (and don't torture us with cringe-worthy voice-acting), I think the storytelling could benefit immensely from the remake. I guess it remains to be seen what direction they'll take the gameplay... but hopefully it's little more than just a subtle tweaking.
I'll admit, I don't understand where the idea that the game will be wildly different and even unrecognizable is coming from. This isn't the first time Square-Enix has remade a Final Fantasy title, and their previous true remakes (Final Fantasy III and IV) have been pretty god damn faithful to the originals. I see no reason why they would suddenly start adding bells and whistles and rewriting the game all over the place just because it's VII.

Sure, the compilation of FF7 was (IMO) a complete train wreck, but I don't see that dramatically impacting anything besides maybe a few character designs in the end. Especially considering the immediate fan backlash that would ensue.

I'm really not a big fan of modern SE/FF stuff either, but I have enough confidence in them to think that they know how to handle remaking a game (considering there are like 400 million FF1 remakes/ports out there).
seriously i think i've seen bosnian war veterans with less cynicism than some of you guys have over videogames
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Fine, I guess we'll see who's right!

(It'll be me.)
What happens when the PSn+1 has been out for two years and we still only have some CGI videos and some scripted gameplay segments

hi kingdom hearts!
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
author=Pizza
Whatever they do with the combat just please keep the Kingdom Hearts influence far the fuck away from it. Those games are awful.

Prepare yourself for Donald Duck and Goofy cameos, and a mini-game that spans over 40 hours of you trying to find all the Hidden Mickeys to unlock a secret bonus dungeon that will grant you the bonus Keyblade weapon for Cloud.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Pizza, Square Enix didn't develop the FF3 and FF4 remakes. They were outsourced to another developer, Matrix Software. Three of the original members of the FF4 development team supervised the development, including Hiroyuki Ito, the guy I like.

However, the FF7 remake is presumably being developed by Square Enix, since it's being directed by Tetsuya Nomura. All hope is lost unless they bring Ito on the team. I'm not actually sure how likely his involvement is - on the one hand, last year they created a High Council of Mysidia to jointly oversee all future major Final Fantasy games and ensure that they stayed relatively consistent and had high quality. This high council consists of four people: the FF13 director, the FF14: A Realm Reborn director, the FF15 director, and Ito (the FF6/FF9 director). So in theory, he should have a major say into what happens in this game... maybe? But on the other hand, he hasn't actually worked on a video game in eight years.

Interesting fact: Tetsuya Nomura declined being on the team, stating that he was far more interested in Kingdom Hearts, and would prefer not to work on Final Fantasy games any more except for doing the character design. That didn't last long.

Nomura's credentials aren't zero. There's a reason he's the director of this game: in the original FF7, he did all of the character and enemy design, the visual directing for battles, and some of the story. He is definitely interested in visual design above everything else, though. In 80% of the games he's worked on, visual design was all he did. That would bother me less if his characters didn't mostly all look like this:
Nooj wasn't designed by nomura, and lulu rocks.
Who's that last chick? o_o

edit: i really really like his designs both in Final Fantasy VIII and X. They're his prime imo.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs

Her dress is made out of belts! O_o
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Lulu's outfit looks fine in the original game because the graphics are bad enough that you can't tell it's made entirely out of overlapping belts.

The last chick is Shalua, a main female character from FF7: Dirge of Cerberus. She's a scientist who is fighting against Shinra and Deepground. She also makes an appearance in FF7: Before Crisis, where you find out that she created Barret's gun-arm. She's actually a fairly reasonable candidate for a character to appear in the FF7 remake.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=JosephSeraph
Nooj wasn't designed by nomura (...)

The internet says otherwise, but I can't be sure.

I've got nothing against Nomura's character design for VII, VIII and X.

But his Kingdom Hearts and recent work is really bad from a character design point of view.

Characters are supposed to be memorable and this is achieved by giving characters one or two features that stand out (spiky haired guy with big sword, big black dude with a gun-arm), excess details/features will make the character unremarkable and forgettable

I'd argue that Lulu's design is somewhere in between, has much more detail than previous designs but is mostly consistent.
The guy just doesn't know when to stop, no hardware limitations are his bane.

author=LockeZ
The last chick is Shalua, a main female character from FF7: Dirge of Cerberus. She's a scientist who is fighting against Shinra and Deepground. She also makes an appearance in FF7: Before Crisis, where you find out that she created Barret's gun-arm. She's actually a fairly reasonable candidate for a character to appear in the FF7 remake.

It scares me that you actually know this stuff.
Well, it took a lot longer than I expected for the thread to become about Nomura's artwork.

Congrats.
Nooj, along with Leblanc & goons, etc. was designed by Tetsu Tsukamoto while mimicking Nomura's style. :^)

edit: ^ LOL