FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

Decky
I'm a dog pirate
xiii-3 is more tolerable than wannabe action game nonsense imo

very disappointing if it ends up like ff15's combat, which I found anemic, awkward, and boring
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Deckiller
xiii-3 is more tolerable than wannabe action game nonsense imo

very disappointing if it ends up like ff15's combat, which I found anemic, awkward, and boring

Coincidenally, anemic, awkward, and boring is how I would describe FFVII's original battle system. I don't think any of the FFs had particularly interesting combat until X. X, XII, XIII, Type-0, and XV have all had good ideas and it would be a big shame if they didn't learn from them.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
FF15's combat definitely didn't have even a single good idea.

I just want the ideas they had for FF7's combat to be executed better. I think that's all anyone who is annoyed about the drastic changes wants.

Yeah, FF7's combat was poorly made - offensive magic spells were mostly really uninteresting, physical materia was severely lacking, normal attacks were overpowered, the stat modifiers on materia didn't work, and the battles were so easy that none of those problems mattered. No one is gonna deny that. Most of the fun came from setting up your materia in cool ways and finding all sorts of different ways to break the game and become ridiculously overpowered.

But taking the same basic concept, trying to fix the problems with it, and making it enjoyable to a modern audience is what people want out of a remake. Starting over with something completely different isn't a remake. It's just a brand new, completely different, totally unrelated game that happens to have the same plot. (Or in all likelihood, a vaguely similar plot with the same characters.)
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
FF9 will always be better. Remake FF9
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=LockeZ
FF15's combat definitely didn't have even a single good idea.

I just want the ideas they had for FF7's combat to be executed better. I think that's all anyone who is annoyed about the drastic changes wants.

Yeah, FF7's combat was poorly made - offensive magic spells were mostly really uninteresting, physical materia was severely lacking, normal attacks were overpowered, the stat modifiers on materia didn't work, and the battles were so easy that none of those problems mattered. No one is gonna deny that. Most of the fun came from setting up your materia in cool ways and finding all sorts of different ways to break the game and become ridiculously overpowered.

But taking the same basic concept, trying to fix the problems with it, and making it enjoyable to a modern audience is what people want out of a remake. Starting over with something completely different isn't a remake. It's just a brand new, completely different, totally unrelated game that happens to have the same plot. (Or in all likelihood, a vaguely similar plot with the same characters.)

Sadly I get the feeling they are going to streamline materia, taking a lot of the fun out of character setup.
You certainly are a debbie downer about this, aren't you lot? XD

C'mon, we got confirmation of at least one thing people were worried about still being in the game (ATB) so let's not get upset. In the article that showed off those screenshots was a quote from the lead developer saying that they want to stay as close to the main game mechanics as possible. That has to at least bode well for the game, and the materia system, yeah?
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=Liberty
You certainly are a debbie downer about this, aren't you lot? XD

C'mon, we got confirmation of at least one thing people were worried about still being in the game (ATB) so let's not get upset. In the article that showed off those screenshots was a quote from the lead developer saying that they want to stay as close to the main game mechanics as possible. That has to at least bode well for the game, and the materia system, yeah?

that quote does leave me quite optimistic :) there's nothing wrong with classic final fantasy mechanics.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
But if I look forward to things then what will I have left to hate? Things that are already out? The whole reason I enjoy hating things is the rush of euphoria when they're released and they turn out to be shit and I can say that I was right.

Anyway, I bet that quote was taken out of context. Or translated badly. I bet they're going to turn the FF7 remake into a Farmville clone.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
LockeZ
Anyway, I bet that quote was taken out of context. Or translated badly. I bet they're going to turn the FF7 remake into a Farmville clone.

No, Chocobo Rancher.

Edit: Dead serious. I would totally play a game that was exclusively about raising and then racing chocobos.
I was literally just thinking that too. Gimme more to chocobo raising than just racing them please.

If they enhance the Chocobo raising minigame, I'd probably play it a lot. Imagine - something a cross between Digimon and gacha. You breed the two chocobos, there's a chance there's a rare one, but they have different patterns/slight colour variations in order to make them more personalised. Then gimme a choice of saddles and lemme play with the growing chocochick so I can train it up in certain aspects. Name them, buy them cute adornments and outfits...

X3

I mean, it's not gonna happen because that'll push back progress to hell, but a girl can dream.
pianotm
Liberty
I mean, it's not gonna happen because that'll push back progress to hell, but a girl can dream.

WHY??? I'm not a girl and I want to play that!
LockeZ
I think they already made that game for the PocketStation, it was called Chocobo World.

pianotm
Doesn't count. It was never released outside Japan.
LockeZ
If you buy FF8 on Steam you can play it, according to this video!
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=InfectionFiles

You're looking at it the wrong way. FF9 doesn't need to be remade, because it's so much better and still holds up really well to this day.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Jeroen_Sol
author=InfectionFiles
You're looking at it the wrong way. FF9 doesn't need to be remade, because it's so much better and still holds up really well to this day.
True wisdom *bows*
The battles in old RPGs are supposed to be boring if you're doing it right. They were the validation for all of the effort you put into making your squad super-awesome! And that's where the fun in RPGs lie.

If you are looking for all of your fun in RPGs in the battles themselves, you don't want an RPG. You want an action game.
author=kentona
The battles in old RPGs are supposed to be boring if you're doing it right. They were the validation for all of the effort you put into making your squad super-awesome! And that's where the fun in RPGs lie.

If you are looking for all of your fun in RPGs in the battles themselves, you don't want an RPG. You want an action game.

I (respectfully!) disagree with this almost entirely.

I want RPG combat to be challenging, stimulating, and rewarding. I see the game as a puzzle, or problem to be solved, and the effort, practice, and preparation I put into the game rewards me via being able to finish the game, not steamroll it. It shouldn't be easy by default, because then its not rewarding. I've played plenty of RPGs with exciting and interesting battle systems that require the player to plan and think in order to win. If anything, that's how I relax.

I'm a grown ass man and I think I'm pretty smart: challenge me! Put an easy mode in for people who don't want that challenge (like plenty of other grown ass people with different tastes). But by default, challenge me! Lay out the rules and expect me to follow them (or at least creatively break them) if I want to win.

I was actually talking with Craze not too long ago about this when we were talking about the high learning curve of fighting games; video games are one of the only activities where (some) people are repelled by a learning curve, and almost no other hobby is like that, whether its chess, or sports, or whatever. As someone who enjoys fighting games (which have a high learning curve), it sort of baffles me.

I'm not saying that games can't be easy, and there's plenty of room for games that are intrinsically hard or easy overall for a particular type of consumer (see: Dark Souls) but I don't think they should be as a rule. A game that lays out a ruleset and expects the player to follow them to win is like, pretty reasonable.
Yeah, like I said you want an action game with RPG elements.
author=kentona
Yeah, like I said you want an action game with RPG elements.

But everything I listed doesn't have to be exclusive to action games or even action games with RPG elements. I've played actual, pure RPGs with all the traits listed above. If anything, it can and should apply to all genres of game.