FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

My buddy V just played the Demo. He's not really into the actiony gameplay.
I haven't tried it but I'd like to hear what you all think of it.
I have so many good feelings about what I watched and cannot wait til it comes out!

I'm not huge on action games, myself, but I don't hate them and what was shown looks pretty fucking great so far.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I don't like that the fact that it's coming on PS 4 a year before anywhere else.
And they haven't even announced how many chapters / release dates for that.

A good first part doesn't build a good legacy, just look at the new Star Wars movies.
I think they haven't announced anything about the future chapters, because the success of this one chapter most likely affects how much they'll milk the game overall. I could very easily see FFVII going on through a whole console generation. Kinda like FFXIII and its sequels did as well as how FFXV also went on for so long.

If it means more solid games in FF series, I'm all for it. FFXV kinda showed what happens when Square tries to rush their projects out too fast. Alternative would be to release the full game in 2023 or something? Besides I kinda really like that they are making a whole game based in Midgar. I always loved those parts in the original and felt bummed that you never got to really explore the place after the initial chapters. Midgar got such a cool vibe to it.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
April 10th - mark your calendars.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Great review by Jared right here :)

So, now that it's out, what do you guys think of it? I'm playing through it right now.
Haven't played it but knowing the actual scope now from twitch streams, I kind of dread playing a 40 hour version of Midgar where every plot point is stretched out. Aerith with chair gif memes is all I'm getting out of it.
I loved the game...at the start...

And then:
- the battle system seemed slow and boring (not every battle has to be epic!)
- Cloud in battles was the worst (so slow!--tifa and barrett all the way)
- The last two chapters were brutal (soooo many long, drawn-out, daunting boss battles)
- The very last chapter was such a mess I wanted my money back (oh, and I hit a glitch in it that made me have to restart the entire battle)

But the game looks gorgeous and the music, even the new tunes, are great. At first I realized that I didn't really need this remake and was enjoying the game the same way I enjoyed DBZ Kakarot (for nostalgia), but the last chapter...oh, my God, what were they thinking? Fine to go outside of the main story, but it should at least make sense!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I don't think it was necessarily a bad idea to have Midgar be more explorible than it was in the original game. However, they might have gone too far in padding the episode? I guess I'd have to play the thing say with more certainty.

Saying that, I could totally see them having the next episode entirely in Junon, and skipping Kalm, the Chocobo Ranch, and the Mythril Mines entirely. Though, it could feasible see the Mythril Mines and Fort Condor as places to perform quests for/in. I'm not sure if Fort Condor's RTS mini-game would be there. Or if they'd replace it with something else entirely.

I don't know how they'll handle the Neibelhiem flashback. The original FF7 had it marginally playable, but, I could see them padding it out, and adding bits of gameplay to show off Sephiroth's skills a bit more. I guess I just want to see the treatment that Crisis Core gave to those events upped to 7 11. I mean, some of the events in Crisis Core were relayed though short, non-playable cut-scenes relayed through the DWS, and were something of a let-down to me. However, Zack's sacrifice to save Cloud was top notch, and something we probably won't see in any respect in FF7R until episode 7 much, much later.
author=Marrend
Marrend said stuff...

Have you played through the game?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Arcmagik
Have you played through the game?

I mean...

I guess I'd have to play the thing say with more certainty.

...this makes it pretty clear.
author=Marrend
Marrend said things

Oh. My bad. That part totally got lost in my mind during the later parts. I wanted to directly make reference to the part about Zack. I figured you hadn't played it based on what you said there, but I wanted to make sure. There is some things about Zack in the FF7R, but you have to play it to see them.
This is the best game I've played in years. Cannot love it enough. Andrea Rhodea is a legend.