HANDDRAWN BACKGROUNDS

Pages: 1
I've made a topic about prerendered backgrounds'bout one year ago, now I'm making one'bout handdrawn backgrounds solely because of this:

(Quasi's movement script is awesome)

So, which games have handdrawn backgrounds that you like? Off the top of my head there's Legend of Mana

SaGa Frontier 2

Atelier Iris

Also some rpg maker games are Sunset over Imdahl:

And Wilfred the Hero, which as far as I remember uses handdrawn tilesets as well!

So, how do you like these? Is it something you want to do? What other games have good examples of handdrawn backgrounds? What do you like, and what do you dislike about them? :^D
Oh wow, that sunset over Imdahl game looks beautiful O: I'm a sucker for these kinds of things. The only one that come to mind though atm is Legend of Mana. Beautiful backgrounds. Imma keep my eye on this to learn about more games with graphics of this nature :P
So am I! I want to make games like this in rm someday, sometime. But I musn't be alluded by that now as I have far too many other projects xD

Anyway, FFTA2 has some beautiful handdrawn backgrounds too! But they're somewhat less organic because they still stick to a grid, due to the gameplay.

I'd say the best for me is Riviera: The Promised Land
Although I *might* be a bit biased since I absolutely love that game. I don't like the PSP port though. It was pretty much inferior to the GBA version in many ways.
Here's the final boss battle of the game

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 is also nice. I'm not sure if its graphics are hand-drawn though.
Again, here's the final boss battle of the game

And then of course, there's Minish Cap (which is, inarguably, an awesome game)
I had totally forgotten Riviera! (as a background reference)
I love the game yeah, and it has incredible backgrounds. The only thing is that the hardware kinda liimited their palette, and they ended up being too monochromatic at times. The gameplay is also awesome, and so are the characters and story unf, I have to go back and finish it <3
Grinding in training mode was bullshit though =/ ruined a fun mechanic xD but yeah, I'd never look to the GBA for handdrawn backgrounds! In the case of Minish Cap and Summon Night, it's pixel art, but it's clearly pixel art painted over a handdrawn background xD it looks awesome. <3 WHO NEEDS TILES

I love the hand drawn backgrounds of Legend of Mana and SaGa Frontier 2.
Some others I can add to this list are:

Painted Heart
http://rpgmaker.net/games/6508/

and
Last Minute Gift
http://rpgmaker.net/games/7119/
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
This has been on my mind a lot lately. I love the idea of a fully drawn game. It is beautiful in concept. Games with prerendered backgrounds really look amazing. The PSX Final Fantasies did it, though with CG instead.
Shinan and I were working on a point n click adventure game with hand-drawn all through, but the project fell apart. Still hankering to do this some day.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
After doing quite a bit of painting for SLH's tiles, I've been considering it myself. I'd have to try and get faster at my bg work though, I still struggle with it (and I'm still getting use to 2/3 point perspective)

(FF8's CG backgrounds still blow me away to this day, but I think Odin's Sphere had a really unique look...and I rather enjoyed AAI/AAI2's take on integrating drawn backgrounds and sprites but im ace attorney trash rn so is that surprising? no)
Pages: 1