HOW DID YOUR FIRST GAME TURN OUT?

Pages: first 1234 next last
I'm about to finish up my first game enough to make a demo. Not sure if I'll release it or just let certain people try it out. Still I'm curious to hear about other folks first games.
Mine was... pretty bad. At the time I was quite proud of it but looking back I can see so much wrong with it. So, so much. XD

I'm still glad I made it but yeah, it's not one that I'd release on the site. Maybe one day I'll remake it.

That said, some peoples' first games are pretty awesome, considering.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
It didn't. I had a ton of "first games" that never really turned out as completed products. They were all just either prototypes or severely incomplete games with very little gameplay.

Probably what I consider to be my first released game was Maximus Jones, which was created in a week or two for a contest, and I came 3rd, but it was just a collection of minigames, and it has flaws but at least I'm proud of having completed something. What I liked about it was that it was unique and didn't waste anyone's time... well, not that much. It was just a display of a few evented minigames, something that people could chew on, and either swallow or spit out and move on.

Other first games have been fantastic, but I'd venture to say most of those are only perceived to be their first games, as they've probably played around with the maker and made a few unreleased complete/incomplete games for themselves that they never released.

My opinion? Release it if you think it's good. Or even if you don't think it's good, just release it. Or PM it to certain people you trust. But really... in the end, it doesn't really matter as long as you prepare yourself for whatever feedback you might receive, and just look to improve with the next game or defend your choices.

Either way, release the thing hahahaha, or just do whatever you want with it. The feeling of releasing a complete game is fantastic, though, I gotta say. It feels like your creative process has actually resulted in something concrete, and that's a great feeling.
It didn't.

I kept getting better faster than it was being made, so it amalgamated into a horrid mess and ultimately was dropped.

Yep.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Pretty terribad, but for some reason it got a 2 star review. Like Cash I made it for an event.
If anyone's curious mine is coming along pretty well. It at least has a lot of potential but I worry my puzzles might be annoying or the story may have too many plot holes or be confusing. I hope since its my first game folks can accept it as a work from my stream of consciousness.
My first game was from the era of gaming classics like Bob the Minatour and Legion Saga I, so as you can expect it was terrible.

It was a rip off of Dungeon Keeper, if there was no simulation, creatures that would not do anything and vice versa. It was really bad.

But if you can use way back machine, maybe you can find it. Hint: My username has been the same for years.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It turned out. It had three maps one npc, one RTP enemy, one RTP boss and Eric disguised as another RTP character. It was made in about an hour.
How was my first game? It was once voted worst RPG Maker 2000 game of all time.

It actually makes me feel sort of proud.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The first game I released on RMN was Legacy Reborn. It... wasn't that great! It's current incarnation has been revised from the original to, like, the nth degree. Whither or not it's any good, well, I dunno. Best to leave it as-is, and take whatever I learned from it to a different project.
unity
You're magical to me.
My first game ever, if we're talking actual RPG Maker games and not Q-basic games I made as a preteen, was an RPG Maker 95 game that was an absolute train-wreck. I wish I had kept it to see how far I've come since then.

author=Sated
I think it turned out alright. Most importantly, I learnt a lot by making it.

This attitude is the most important part, I think. If it's your first game, good or bad, you should be proud for making something and, most importantly, learn from it.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

My first game is terrible!
And is available to download from RMN!

Experience the RTP.
Experience the real bad mapping.
Experience the frequent random encounters that will annoy you to death.
Experience the crap...

http://rpgmaker.net/games/4708/
sbethune81
I don't have a growth mindset...yet.
I'm happy with the way it turned out. I think it got better as I went, particularly the mapping.
http://rpgmaker.net/games/3694/
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Ah, I was late to the RPG Maker party, so I was nearing my twenties when I developed my first game. I'd like to think that my age helped it not suck horribly, but it does have some incredibly stupid design choices. Took a little less than a year for its initial completion; it's Pokemon Hunter, if you were wondering. The only design experience I'd had prior was from messing around in Tomb Raider's level editor, and that never amounted to a proper game of any sort.

As for the game itself, I stand by as saying it's a passable mediocre game (and series). It's playable, and even enjoyable depending on your tastes, but I wouldn't give it more than a 2.5/5 myself. Younger me needed a whack in the head. ^.^;

-----

If you're thinking about releasing your first game, just be prepared for others not to like it as much as you do, especially if you developed it independently. Others' perspectives will always challenge yours in ways you could never foresee. It's how you grow as a developer, and key to making better games down the road. Be brave, grit your teeth, and submit that shit!
I swear we just had this topic... lemme try to dig it up
I learned alot from my mistakes about consistency of using custom graphics.
I want to make a good game without screwing up.

NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
It never got close to being finished. Which is a good thing because it sucked.

An impression of my mapping skills back then:

unity
You're magical to me.
author=kentona
I swear we just had this topic... lemme try to dig it up

Yeah, we did! I somehow thought someone had necro'd that old topic XD
My actual first project (from 2011) turned out mildly competent, even though the concept behind it was sound.
Pages: first 1234 next last