HOW DID YOUR FIRST GAME TURN OUT?

It was a crappy fan-game I made when I got RMXP in Jan 2009. I managed to get about 12 hours of it done before scrapping it completely.
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
My first game somehow made it to buzzing games. Freak the how?!
It was pretty bad. Everything is mashed together like a bowl of mashed potato.

It was a comedy game which was not funny at all. The storyline is so vague and linear. But it was a good start. I hasn't release that game on the internet, but I let some of my friends play it.
My first game was beautifully unique. I consulted no forums, no guides, nothing. It had an unique storyline and lots of inexplicably varied locations. I exercised pure artistic freedom. Now I can try to just ignore the status quo, but I can't go back to the times when I was 8 or 9 and didn't knew that buildings shouldn't have walls OR ceilings, but both and when I didn't knew that making a town full of diverse characters generally involves variety in dialogue, and not in bizarre walking patterns. It was also really easy because I was incapable of playing RPGs and had to nerf everything to my skill, which pretty much meant that mashing space is a fairly sufficient strategy to win all battles.
Mine was (and is) a mixed bag. I managed to accomplish a lot of what I was going for (just a single chapter introductory project), but apparently even my (slightly) improved mapping still turned out pretty poor. It's unfinished with a lot of room for improvement, but I was happy making it. I released it to get some feedback for making improvements.

I need to finish it so I can make the sequels. This will mean finding the time to improve my mapping some more.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I feel awful because i lost all of the games i first made.
They were extremely terrible, and they used placeholder sprites from copyrighted games, but i made every friend i had play them and they enjoyed them, and that brought me a sense of fullfilment i hadn't felt since who knows when.

My very first game was called "Wizard" and was about, well, a wizard. You had to traverse through a dungeon trying to find your way out, you had no means of defense since your staff had been stolen, and every enemie was an instant kill if you collisioned with them.

I made it in game maker. The very first game maker.
author=Liberty
Mine was... pretty bad. At the time I was quite proud of it but looking back I can see so much wrong with it. So, so much. XD

I'm still glad I made it but yeah, it's not one that I'd release on the site. Maybe one day I'll remake it.

That said, some peoples' first games are pretty awesome, considering.

Mine was a complete game, but had a number of bugs that I didn't catch. So reviewers basically told me that it needed to go back to hell where it came from. Yes, seriously.
I forgot to mention that my game also had an a capella cover of the midi Animal from RTP.

It only played in this optional area shown here, accessible by climbing over the table in one of the missing children's houses. At some point I removed the teleport to this map because I decided that it's too weird and out of place. I only ever removed two locations and I have no idea what criteria I used... because most of the game doesn't look any less weird.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Do you still have the acapella version? :O
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
I have decided to share with you all a snippet from one of my old old games.

If you're interested, there's more here.
My first ever video game I made, I signed up for an optional course in Game Design for about 1-2 weeks back when I was... 10. It took place in a college, they were just trying to introduce games development to kids. I've been making games on paper-and-pencil before, and I liked video games so I was like 'yea ok i'll try it'.

What they let use was GameMaker... 5.
I made a game called Dragon Escape. It was really simple sideview (not even scrolling, you just navigated the whole map in one screen) shooting game. I made powerups, changed forms for the dragon on taking them, recolored sprites, tweaked with mechanics and speeds.
It was super simple. It really wasn't anything great.

But through this, I fell in love with game design *__*
Holy balls BM that's a lot of statuses, haha.

I like, though; I like.
Just finished my game I've been working for about 9 months. I just learned to use xCode and objective-c and went with it. I made a thread about it already here on RPGMaker. Feel free to check out the thread + game. If you have any questions, post them in the thread and i'll be happy to answer anything about the development of the game :)

Here is the link:

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/18481/
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
My first game I would say was a... Mmo.... I was "creating" in 3rd grade.... I just found all of the notebooks for it and I've never been more embarrassed in my life. I never finished it but it was the first real time I said "I'm going to make a video game!"
I never did the whole 'middle school binders full of lore and mechanics' thing, and I understand why it'd be embarrassing to look back on, but tbh I love it? I love people getting so earnestly into the concept of something even when the means of putting it to use are still out of reach

who knows, maybe Tiny Third-Grade Charblar even had some neat ideas worth revisiting

e: okay in high school I did draw a lot of awful meandering conceptual stuff + then a lot of nonsense surrounding the stuff to take away from the fact that it was terrible, though

I even saved some of it!
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Too true, mawk! I wouldn't have had much of a basis to make games off of if I didn't record every awesome thought I had onto paper or something.

Embarrassing as some of my older writing is, some of the characters and ideas made it to my games today.

I was a huge Diablo nerd, so I often tended to make lists upon lists of items and even item sets. Character Classes, all kinds of stuff.
http://i.imgur.com/OeHqJPg.png
Example above, also to add that I was a huge World of Warcraft, DooM, Neopets, Quake and Final Fantasy Nerd. What a combo!

BlueIvy which that set is named after was named after my mage in WoW, she'd later become the demigodess Blu in recent stuff.

Oh god a lot of this makes me sort of die inside, but in retrospect it was good I got all this fanboying out of my system before I went onto making games of any public degree.

Somethings have been changed name wise, SafierCat is now Safael, Blueivy as already mentioned, is now Blu, simply.

Autumn is a character scheduled to debut in Justicaar, whenever I make that fucking thing.

Malibu is a villain who loves using poisons.

Terror Lord Fang the Chimp is blatantly inspired by Fang from Dave the Barbarian, one of my childhood favourites along with Ed, Edd n' Eddy, Invader ZIM, Powerpuff Girls, Fairly Odd Parents and The Grim adventures of Billy & Mandy.

Most of that is from at least 6 years ago. The top left portion with the weapons is 12 years old, and is from my very first "printed" game, Future Fantasy. I was just a boy. A boy barely old enough to be considered for any sort of employment. I asked my Dad how realistic would the goal of gam mak be, he said 5 years in university.

Being a childish idiot, I believed him, it wasn't until my Uncle Dain said that you can basically do anything so long as you put your mind to it that I found hope. My Mother was also supportive of the notion.

It was at about 16 that I began seriously considering it as a thing I could do. The future just happened to cater for me. I didn't release a game to the public until I was 21, Planet's Cry, yeah, linked it's title screen on Page 2 i think it was. It would be another two years until I released Intelligence, following the year and a half spent developing Terra for virtually nothing worthwhile.

My first game idea was a 3D platformer where you plays a weird ball of yarn disguised as a cat and boss stages were usually yarn enemies, a giant pair scissors, an everburning match and a cat were some of the big bads.

My second concepted project, which both me and my bro brainstormed for, would become Hellcat. I wanted to make it an FPS, but ultimately, I'd started leaning away from that, so it was my second game released to the public that is counted as Biztopian Canon, in fact it's available for download on this very site.

Anyway yeah, 12 years in dev, finally getting somewhere. Gotta go, school is happen.
Ugh. Hoo boy. It was some project in RM95 that I don't even remember having a coherent plot...but I do remember that the game was actually finished. The best weapon was the "Quake Hammer" (not Excalibur and not even a sword, quite a feat for a 14 year old!), and I made the game entirely at school during my ACE program my freshman year.

Then it got deleted when they wiped the HDs clean over the summer D:

EDIT: If you mean first game EVER then I finished a small single player RPG in BASIC and started on a second one before discovering RM2k.

My first game was Crescent Moon or something. Probably wasn't the greatest, but I was so proud of it haha. It was all RTP, but I probably would've finished it if not for my computer crashing. >.<
Alright if we're talking first game COMPLETED, then hey, that went Real Great and I'm super proud of it. We made it in a month and it's actually solid, so I can't really hope for anything better than that.

...if we're talking first game DEVELOPED, then, um. Well. Let's tell everyone that embarrassing but extremely cute story.

So, for creative writing class back in grade 3, I wrote this story about a girl named Chaelia (named after one of my sister's Neopets because it had a great fantasy name) who hung out with a bunch of anthropomorphic stuffed animals that were totally in no way the stuffed animals I had nope nosiree this wasn't self-insert fic you're MAKING THAT UP. Anyway, she hung out with cool stuffed animals and lived in a giant tree called The Sanctuary, and her best friend was a blue dragon named Ryu. No relation to the Breath of Fire character, nope.

Anyway, her idyllic life was threatened by an evil dragon named... Zog? Or something. I don't think it was Zog, since that's BoF's villain's name and I'm fairly certain I did SOMETHING slightly different. Anyway, he was evil villaining in a tower somewhere and plotting to wreck her shit... and then it never actually happened. I quit writing the story, because That's What I Do.

Fast forward a year or two ahead, and my sister nabs a copy of RPG Maker 2000, since that was the only one available at the time, and we sit down and try to make a game. I put forward this story I wrote, we call it Aprilenia (for reasons?????), and boom bam we start making a game. Chaelia becomes a summoner (not in the Final Fantasy way, nosiree bob no way) and goes on a quest with Ryu (default RTP wyvern) and a... cat? I think she was a cat. Anyway they learn about the Bad Dragon somehow and decided to head through a cave to the kingdom of Sapphire, where they meet a white mage named Crystal and... get an airship??? That's all I really remember, other than the fact the first cave was a giant, square room that you could easily walk across since "oh we can just fill this in later."

ALAS it has been lost to the sands of time, which is a bummer! I woulda loved to have gone back and played it now. Ah, well, at least I still have you, original and embarrassing build of Origin. *throws sheet over it*

And speaking of Origin, if we're talking how did one's first SERIOUS attempt at a game go... well. It's been in the works for 4-5 years and I still don't have a demo, so. Yeah.

ALSO I'VE BEEN RPG MAKING FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS?????? What the hell is that. How have I only JUST completed a game. OTL
My first game was a Sabrina the Teenage Witch/Sailor Moon slashfic fangame I made when I was 15. It's still probably the best thing I've ever worked on.