GG MAKER: THE NEXT BASTARD-CHILD OF FAMILY EB!

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I love warning boxes telling you about how little power the tool actually gives you.
I'm gonna need proof that it is THAT easy to use.
Cause I been burnt before by software claiming to be "easy" to use for creating things other than RPGs.
Game Maker burnt me... never was able to wrap my brain around it, had folks telling me just to use the scripting tools.
Construct burnt me to... never was able to wrap my brain around it.
IGM/AGM had a horrible set up, and there was no way to make hills or slopes with platformers.

So I am REALLY gonna need some proof.
Gonna need to see videos of people using it.
I tried using Unity... i suck at coding.
I want something truly as easy as the RPG Maker series of software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LudCFMVqsI8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TKVB3v8UiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUWJ4X1qUH8

Notice, all of those above shows the basic functionality of 001 Game Creator (Which is the free, community version), which I think you should try out ;) And all of the videos above are made by the community... And they're out of date... Fortunately for you, they should show basic scripting and how powerful the engine really is.
Those videos make it look like it's really overwhelming just to do basic things (look at all those buttons! It'd be easier to fly the space shuttle. Not even I crammed that many buttons into my editor) and that the engine tries too hard to be flashy with quirky but ultimately unimpressive things like resizing the map by dragging the borders or the door sprite thing.
author=WolfCoder
Those videos make it look like it's really overwhelming just to do basic things (look at all those buttons! It'd be easier to fly the space shuttle. Not even I crammed that many buttons into my editor) and that the engine tries too hard to be flashy with quirky but ultimately unimpressive things like resizing the map by dragging the borders or the door sprite thing.

I think it's actually pretty easy to use the software, but we're all entitled to our own opinions, I suppose.

The UI of the engine has been revamped as of late (those videos are years old) but it looks the same.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

But remember Ace is easy enough for a child to use.
but we're all entitled to our own opinions

And people driven by opinions take actions upon this world. These people with opinions can make or break things. People have been telling me I cram too many buttons and elements in editor dialogs. I'm not going to give them a passively condescending "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions".
author=WolfCoder
And people driven by opinions take actions upon this world. These people with opinions can make or break things. People have been telling me I cram too many buttons and elements in editor dialogs. I'm not going to give them a passively condescending "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions".

Feel free to give the developer a rant post over at the community forums. He's open to criticism, like the rest of the community.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=MarkusT
I want something truly as easy as the RPG Maker series of software.
This just in, making good games is hard!

author=WolfCoder
Yeah! You tell them it's how you do things and if they want to play the game, then shut up and get over it, because that is way more fun!

author=kentona
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
Nice troll thread.
Why is this a troll thread? i dont geddit
Some people are shallow enough to think I'm actually trolling by marketing Degica's software for them.

I don't know where they get it man.

author=Archeia_Nessiah
EB is unrelated to GG Maker and doesn't own Degica either if we're going by 'family.'
It's my fault, you can pin it all on me!

author=kory_toombs
Also this doesn't look like it's made by Enterbrain. Just the same publishing company.
This is a heads up, don't listen to me in the future, I'm an idiot.
Yeah! You tell them it's how you do things and if they want to play the game, then shut up and get over it, because that is way more fun!

Well what do you know, someone reads too fast and misinterprets what I wrote as the complete polar opposite. Another day on the Internet.

This just in, making good games is hard!

He said "I want something truly as easy as the RPG Maker series of software.", not that he wants a magic make the game for you button or anything.
Alright to clear more confusion (and by using politically correct words), Degica is only the distributor, just like Valve is the distributor of games on Steam.

My own words on this (non-biased):
We thought that Degica was the publisher, that wasn't the case, they haven't spend a single dime (except on the trailer, which is all-in-all not that good.), they're not supposed to spend anything either, they're only distributors... The developer of GG Maker hasn't spend money on PR or other support-related stuff either, we, the community have (quite frankly) single-handedly tried to not let people flood the Steam discussion pages, and/or on rpgmakerweb (and other forums, like this one), negative "non-true"/rumor stuff and other negative shit. // Rant over
Well we know this is engine001 with a new name so... it's probably wise to rename it in the engine database. Degica is the publisher and that's as far as it goes to being related at all to the RPG Maker series.

There's a lot of stuff done out of the box, particles, actors, weapons, items, and does them well. That's a good thing right? Engine001 or GG:M now is mainly focused on Action-RPGs of course I recommend designing your own battle system but the template at least is a good start to learn how to do stuff.

As for the textual scripting, just looks like visual basic to me which I have no experience with. I have played good mana and zelda replicas with 001, the zelda clone that I played pretty much had everything right and played exactly like LTTP.

There is a lot of things you probably want to do custom, message boxes"why not?", movement, default is pretty wonky, etc.

I like using Unity for most things, but for an RPG?... especially for 1 guy I'd use something like this. If you're working on an A-RPG I would choose GGM:M > Rpg Maker simply do to the fact that A-RPGs were it's original goal but it also can be a blank slate meaning you have to do everything "and that can be a good thing especially if you want to build your own battle system, menus, etc"

The original ultimate lifetime license was $150, now it's $59 which is $91 off but that already includes a 15% discount.

Rukiri, thank you for being available everywhere and supporting the software! But please notice that publisher and distributor doesn't mean the same. Also, Engine 001 is not going to be renamed to GG Maker, think of GG Maker as its "own" version. Engine 001 will keep on existing along with GG Maker.
author=kararty
My own words on this (non-biased):
We thought that Degica was the publisher, that wasn't the case, they haven't spend a single dime (except on the trailer, which is all-in-all not that good.), they're not supposed to spend anything either, they're only distributors... The developer of GG Maker hasn't spend money on PR or other support-related stuff either, we, the community have (quite frankly) single-handedly tried to not let people flood the Steam discussion pages, and/or on rpgmakerweb (and other forums, like this one), negative "non-true"/rumor stuff and other negative shit. // Rant over

This is not true. Degica has spent money on GG Maker's materials. The rebranding, the images, the bug testing and even more that I'm not sure I'm allowed to talk about. I even made those achievement badges with a friend of mine as that was my assignment. I don't know if you're part of the development team since I only know of two people (phoenix and mike), but please refrain saying ultimatums like these if you aren't involved in the development process of GG Maker.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
This is not true. Degica has spent money on GG Maker's materials. The rebranding, the images, the bug testing and even some materials that aren't included in the release yet. I don't know if you're part of the development team since I only know of two people, but please refrain saying ultimatums like these if you aren't involved in the development process of GG Maker.

Thanks for clearing things up, but sources are always welcome.
I'm sorry, I've since then changed my stance, It's just that there is a lot of misleading happening right now (I've been apart of that misleading too, unfortunately). I'm not a part of the developing team nor do I want to stand out like I'm a part of any team and/or "the team". I just want to help out, that's all... And that's what I am going to do from now on.
I work for Degica and in my previous edited post, I have said the source. You're looking at one of the artists. I don't recall Mike ever paying for my badges either or paying for our time beta testing the engine so slow down. :V

Here's source for you.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
I work for Degica and in my previous edited post, I have said the source. You're looking at one of the artists. I don't recall Mike ever paying for my badges either or paying for our time beta testing the engine so slow down. :V

Here's source for you.
Thanks, I will now slow down... To the point where I freeze, as I've said, I think I'll keep myself onto the topics that I can actually answer...
Edit: I've now been told to shut my mouth completely, I will no longer answer questions... If you have any issues use the following links:
GG Maker Forums --- GG Maker Steam Discussion Page

//R.I.P KararTY.
But $59 bucks and that's the sale price? Yikes.
author=WolfCoder
But $59 bucks and that's the sale price? Yikes.
Pretty common price, is it worth it?... well offers a bit more than RPG Maker in terms of functionality, but lacks an actual programming scripting language. Has built in 3D, so cool overworlds can be made which can be created from your worlds tilemap which is animated. Check out Super Duper Mario on the 001 forums for the 3D use. "Uses some pretty cool camera effects upon entering a level"
I Googled but it doesn't look like there's a demo.

Therefore all I can go on are the videos and screenshots and stuff. There's several action RPG kits for Unity, one of them is like $30 and it's based on Unity so there's a large amount of robustness and horsepower on top of it all. The videos, screenshots and stuff for GG Maker don't look very good at all.
Pages: first prev 123 next last