[RMVX ACE] I'M MAKING A ZELDA GAME!

Pages: first 12 next last
i'm making what i call a ''rough translation'', or a semi-remake, of the Original LoZ.
it'll use the game's map, but with some new enemies and dungeon layouts, and i'm pondering adding new items.
it's currently very early in development, and i still need to finish the map and sprites for enemies, etcetra.
if you have any suggestions about things i should make different from the Original, please comment on this post.
i have notices for replies turned on, so i'll notice your comment for sure
^_^
Don't.

Use your own level design and everything. For some reason, Nintendo will come down on you like a freight truck if the game is a remake of an existing one instead of a level design and story of your own.

The idea of a 2D ocarina of time remix is back but the authors are being anonymous because Nintendo might C&D them. Even though, reportedly, they're making a special engine themselves just for this.

So the game you make must be your own story and your own level design. Oh, and you might have to draw Link & Co. yourselves instead of using any rips. If you don't do this, you run the risk of being C&D. If your game ever becomes popular, you might get C&D anyway.

Know that I'm talking about what Nintendo might decide to do. Technically, I think character designs and settings also fall under their copyright so they can C&D you for making a LoZ fan game at all. You'll have to ask a lawyer to be sure, I can only mention the things Nintendo has been doing recently but I can't give actual legal advice of what you should do. Proceed with this project at your own risk.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'd suggest using (or learning how to use) Zelda Classic over using an RPG Maker engine. That's just me, though.
Replicating the game is fine as coding practice, not so much as a successful game. As Marrend said, you might wanna check out Zelda Classic unless there's something in RPG Maker you wanna use ZC doesn't have. There isn't much demand for a port of this game.

PS: Nintendo has permitted all kinds of fangames that are non-commercial imo, so you're probably fine. You can write the costumer support if you're unsure.
PS: Nintendo has permitted all kinds of fangames that are non-commercial imo, so you're probably fine

Use your own level design and everything

Make your own LoZ game. Imagine like a Lost Levels edition.
I think someone is already making a Zelda 1 style game in RPG Maker. There can't be two of them.
author=Link_2112
I think someone is already making a Zelda 1 style game in RPG Maker. There can't be two of them.

it's not actually a turn based RPG, it closely replicates the gameplay style of the Original.
Don't worry a lot, just do it. It could be interesting and fun.
But it is recommended to give a different playing experience than playing the original one.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Mysticphoenix
But it is recommended to give a different playing experience than playing the original one.
If, for no other reason, you're not nearly as well equipped or experienced as the original devs. Remaking the game with the hope of outpacing it is foolish, not impossible, but foolish, especially when using rpg maker.
author=Jer155
author=Link_2112
it's not actually a turn based RPG, it closely replicates the gameplay style of the Original.

I didn't say it was an RPG
There isn't much of a reason for this, since as Link_2112 said, there's a LoZ1 port being developed somewhere. It'd be better to make a different game with different level designs to compliment the original. That, and the original game is incredibly basic compared to later Zeldas, so there wouldn't be much to remake anyway.
author=zacheatscrackers
There isn't much of a reason for this, since as Link_2112 said, there's a LoZ1 port being developed somewhere. It'd be better to make a different game with different level designs to compliment the original. That, and the original game is incredibly basic compared to later Zeldas, so there wouldn't be much to remake anyway.

it's not a port. it simply borrows map- and item design.
author=BizarreMonkey
author=Mysticphoenix
If, for no other reason, you're not nearly as well equipped or experienced as the original devs. Remaking the game with the hope of outpacing it is foolish, not impossible, but foolish, especially when using rpg maker.

it isn't an exact remake as i stated in both my Original post, and previous comment.
author=Mysticphoenix

MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE! :D
i'm having a lot of fun redesigning the dungeons and replicating some of the rock formations 'n stuff.
BizarreMonkey
I'll let a moderator get on your case about the rules, as for this thing, then. Why even call it a remake if it's not? Imo just burrow inspiration but still make a game that speaks of you.

Just as an example, my game Perseverance: Adherence is a like Oddworld: Abe's oddysee in a lot of ways, but it's still very much it's own thing. Attaching 'remake' to something in the rpgmaker crowd is a quick way to produce negativity, since remakes are common and often bad.

I myself have made fan games, albeit, with completely different stories and stuff. They weren't very good, but they lent me some insights that would propel me towards a successor.
author=BowelMovement
I'll let a moderator get on your case about the rules, as for this thing, then. Why even call it a remake if it's not? Imo just burrow inspiration but still make a game that speaks of you.

Just as an example, my game Perseverance: Adherence is a like Oddworld: Abe's oddysee in a lot of ways, but it's still very much it's own thing. Attaching 'remake' to something in the rpgmaker crowd is a quick way to produce negativity, since remakes are common and often bad.

I myself have made fan games, albeit, with completely different stories and stuff. They weren't very good, but they lent me some insights that would propel me towards a successor.

i haven't yet thought of a title, so i've labeled it a remake for the time being. i'll take your advice and change its name and gameplay (sort of) to a fan game, and i've been looking around to make a zelda 2-style game, but it will be its own thing.
BizarreMonkey
author=Jer155
author=BowelMovement

i haven't yet thought of a title, so i've labeled it a remake for the time being. i'll take your advice and change its name and gameplay (sort of) to a fan game, and i've been looking around to make a zelda 2-style game, but it will be its own thing.
Okay cool.

Also don't worry about blatantly ripping gameplay off, because that's more or less accepted as a part of game design.
Write down all the reasons why the Legend of Zelda was good, and then use that as inspiration and a foundation for making your own original game. It doesn't even have to be a game of the same genre too.

If you're doing this more for coding practice, remake something simpler from scratch like Pong or Tetris.

If you still want to make a "fan game", don't call it Zelda, and don't go to extensive lengths to make it look exactly like the original Zelda either. If you go to all the trouble of coding the whole thing and adding worthwhile twists or game mechanics that live up to the original, would you still want it to look like it belongs to another developer (i.e. Nintendo)?

Edit: I don't mean to bash fan games. There are a lot of great ones. But to make a successful fan game, the developer has to truly know why the source material was so great in the first place.

If you are new to game development or haven't made games before, I would recommend to not start with a full-blown fan game and instead go for something smaller/simpler first. This will save you a lot of time in the future as you will learn a lot from the first project(s) you finish, knowledge/wisdom which you can then use to make something bigger!
author=Shoobinator
Write down all the reasons why the Legend of Zelda was good, and then use that as inspiration and a foundation for making your own original game. It doesn't even have to be a game of the same genre too.

If you're doing this more for coding practice, remake something simpler from scratch like Pong or Tetris.

If you still want to make a "fan game", don't call it Zelda, and don't go to extensive lengths to make it look exactly like the original Zelda either. If you go to all the trouble of coding the whole thing and adding worthwhile twists or game mechanics that live up to the original, would you still want it to look like it belongs to another developer (i.e. Nintendo)?

Edit: I don't mean to bash fan games. There are a lot of great ones. But to make a successful fan game, the developer has to truly know why the source material was so great in the first place.

If you are new to game development or haven't made games before, I would recommend to not start with a full-blown fan game and instead go for something smaller/simpler first. This will save you a lot of time in the future as you will learn a lot from the first project(s) you finish, knowledge/wisdom which you can then use to make something bigger!

Working out the good things is a good idea, but it's not enough - you'll end up with a just alright copy at best and a watered down knockoff at worst. What you also need is to write down what was bad about Legend of Zelda and figure how to make it better.

Also, practicing coding with LoZ is fine as long as he doesn't try to make the full overworld - 4 screens would be all that's needed to do a top-down adventure game.

Once you have a simple game out, go ahead and make the fangame - don't be afraid to make up a new mechanic, as Zelda games did this every time and it prevents your game from being more of the same.
Pages: first 12 next last