WHAT'S YOUR DAY JOB? TALK ABOUT IT!

Pages: first 123 next last
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Outside of game making, what do you guys do to get your bills/student loans paid (if applicable) and get food on the table?

Aside from constantly applying for freelance and animation jobs, I work part-time as an apparel associate at Sears. It's my first time working in a retail job, and it's quite an experience so far. My training was a bit shakey due to the hectic nature of the environment, and it kind of exposes me to some of the worst aspects about people. Otherwise, I'm actually enjoying it. My main responsibilities include keeping the sales floor clean and up to presentation standards, and handling go-backs from the register and fitting rooms. The most challenging part about it, however, is assisting customers.

So what about the rest of you?
United States Navy. Some points.

-We can spend a majority of any given year in and out to sea. A deployment can last around 9 months out to sea. We do get hit ports and cities and see the world, though. I've been to a lot of places!

-Not everyone in the military is a door kicking, trigger puller. There are plenty of servicemen and women who's primary jobs can be anything from a clerk to a cook. I have been trained to kick down doors and take out people with an M-16, but my primary job is on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, where I work.

-No, we don't march in circles all day every day and no, we don't have to live on the ship or on the base (although when you first sign up, you most likely will for a while). I have an apartment, a car, and a productive, relatively normal life with friends and a relationship when I'm off duty. When we're deployed out to sea, however, yeah, it's all military, all the time.

-It can be incredibly stressful, but it does have its perks. The biggest reason for me, and mostly why I joined in the first place, is the Tuition Assistance servicemen and women receive while active duty, the G.I. Bill that veterans get, I am getting my Associates, Bachelors, and Masters degrees for essentially free and to a certain degree I'm getting paid extra to pursue those degrees.

-For all the chest beating the United States does about ourselves, the strength and size of our military is one thing that's absolutely true with no hyperbole. Our military is far and away the single most powerful military on Earth ever. However this can wear individual servicemen and women thin as we're deployed all over the world, constantly. I for one don't think we need half of our military power to still be able to protect our interests, but whatever.

Anyone who considers joining; think twice, three times about it. It has a lot of benefits, but it demands a lot from you.
I currently don't have a job- I'm living off of money I saved up while working prior to beginning school and assistance from my parents. I do art commissions for extra bucks however.

Before I started college, I worked as a Scaffolder in Alberta. I was only a First Year during my 9-10 month time on the job, so my responsibilities mostly involved walking scaffold gear from the yard to the job site at first, and eventually working up a heights of 20-30 feet in the air building scaffolds with either my Journeyman (crew lead) or the Third Year.

I worked at both the Husky Sunrise site and the Syncrude site at Mildred Lake.

It was probably one of the best times of my life- I mean, yeah, you make boatloads of money (especially for a guy who had no vehicle/house payments or family to take care of), but besides that there was an incredible sense of accomplishment from all the hard work, you felt really healthy all the time and by the time you came home on break you really appreciated all the luxuries you had. Met tons of interesting people too.

I was trying to get another job in the oil business during my leave from school to raise some more money, but unfortunately the falling prices of oil mean that no company wants to bother hiring a First Year.
I do web development and systems integration work through a consulting firm. Most of my development is in Java, or healthcare systems. Usually the places I work suffer from a lot of inertia due to being government entities, giving me time to putz around RMN all day. Sadly, the discipline I lack in game making persists throughout the rest of my life, so I work in hyper productive bursts followed by "downtime". Amazingly enough it hasn't burned me yet, but I am not as far advanced in my career as I probably could be. Maybe one day a windfall will fall in my lap and I can start a game-making startup and just do that all the time.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Organisations like armies/navies etc. have always scared me because of how they appear to take over peoples' lives - they control where you live, sleep etc. for a large part of the year. As an entitled millennial, I have issues with that kind of thing, which is probably why I'd never go for those places despite the free tuition etc.

People have probably seen countless posts of mine complaining about my current predicament, so it's best to keep this self-contained topic that I can rant in, LOL.

I'm 10 months into the graduate technology scheme at a massive American-headquartered financial organisation of ill repute (if you're curious which one, uh, ask kentona, who I'm connected with on LinkedIn)

The Pro's:
-> ££££££££££££££££££

-> Generally decent working hours - I enter at 9:00 am and leave at 5:30 pm most days (apart from cases like yesterday where I was working until 8:00 pm due to unforeseen circumstances), and don't have to do weekends (although other team members - like my manager - do at times, I'm a recent grad, so I'm not given that kind of "responsibility").

-> The work itself is really easy and not stressful in the least (also a Con, but I wanted it as a Pro because I need more Pro's maaaaan)

-> My commute is pretty rad for London: 25-40 minute journey depending on traffic, consisting of a single bus ride.

The Con's:
-> As a grad, the first team you join and role you get is pretty much determined at random. I got one of the shorter straws and ended up in something pretty much entirely opposite to what I wanted to do (system admin/project management as opposed to software development).

As a result, I'm learning very little in terms of my intended career, and am struggling to stay motivated for BAU tasks. And MAN is the BAU boring: 70% of my work is writing up change requests and chasing for approvals.

-> Technology as a whole is really backwards here. The virtualised infrastructure is slow as hell, I have to use Internet Explorer 8 and our whole team is based around a vendor product that is broken in all the wrong places. Hell, I was eavesdropping on a programming lead's conference call today, and he said, and I quote, "So I just read into this RESTful API thing". MFW.

-> Technically, I'm supposed to rotate into a new role within the company soon, but software dev roles are needles in a giant-ass haystack. I was actually due an interview with the manager of a manager of a software dev team, and after a solid month of pinging the potential future manager, he came back to me yesterday saying the role had been taken by an intern. Again, MFW.

-> I have no passion for the company beyond the pay. Not fond of admitting that, but hey, it is what it is.

-> Because of the four points above, I'm now looking for software dev jobs elsewhere that will pay dramatically less than my current one. Fun times >_<

To be honest, I'm probably lucky to have got a job so soon after graduating at all, let alone such a high-paying one - and I didn't even apply. I desperately need to leave soon, though, or else I'll be shooting my career in the foot.
aw man, system admin/project management is what I like. I am not that enamoured with the software development I am doing now. Let's just switch jobs.
I have two jobs. My day job is in the warehouse (?) of a furniture store. That is I receive all the furniture and stack them on shelves and occasionally build some for display in the actual store. I also drive furniture to customers who have ordered transport home. It's a store part of a fairly large chain but this one store is one of their smaller. So I'm the only person in the warehouse (+ three salespeople in the store, including the boss). Which is something I like. It's not an overly stressful job and I can usually work at the pace I choose and the hours are pretty great (10am - 6pm) and I live a five minute drive from work.

So it's not the most demanding or rewarding of jobs. But I rather enjoy it.

My other job is delivering the newspaper. Which I guess is technically not a day job but a night job. Twice a week (generally, I'm essentially the guy who does it when the guy who usually does it has his/her days off) I drive around in the woods around my town and deliver the newspaper. It's also a job I do by myself all alone in the night and I rather enjoy that too. I get a lot of podcasts listened to while driving. The hours aren't great (2am - 6am) especially when combined with my dayjob. (though I tend to try to go to bed at 10pm so I can sleep 10pm-2am and 6am-10am) Of course I have hobbies and stuff that can take up late evenings so sometimes I'm really, really tired.

But overall I rather like my night job too so I don't really want to quit just yet. There's just something about driving around at night all by myself on roads that I now know backwards and forwards. (it's a route about 110km each night)

Essentially I like my jobs because I can more or less do them alone :)
TIL shinan delivers newspapers to forest elves.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I do network and IT consulting, mostly from home. I only work about 20 hours a week, but I'm single and childless and don't need more money than that. We work with about eight companies. Most of my job involves setting up computers for new employees and and troubleshooting whatever random computer problems they have. Because I can do 90% of my work from home, and a lot of it has to be done after hours so as to not disrupt these businesses during their work day and cause computer outages, I can sleep in almost every day... but not always, sometimes I'll get woken up with a business call. So I have a really bizarre schedule where once or twice a month I become legit nocturnal and start going to sleep at noon, and that'll last for a few days until some emergency event wakes me up after two hours of sleep.

It's a small company, only consisting of me, my boss and his wife. I've known my boss since I was in middle school. My mom used to teach his kids piano lessons, and he taught me some stuff about computer repairs. We hadn't talked in ten years, until a year and a half ago when he somehow got my phone number and called me out of the blue and asked me if I wanted to work for him. My job at a computer repair company was falling apart so I said yes and moved back to my hometown. It was a good choice.
I'm a power engineer working in a cogen facility. In a nutshell, I make electricity.
My role is to supervise the team (there's only a handful of us, so it's more like comrades than a crew of lackeys), keep the boiler and turbine going, and do repairs as needed. I'm kind of like a firefighter in that, 90% of the time I'm sitting around drinking coffee and socializing, and 10% of the time I'm running ragged to save the plant from tripping offline.
Right now I work in BC, but I'm going to update my resume and start pursuing a higher paying job in the SAGD field.
I teach multimedia to students :)

Intending to become a Maths teacher in the future.
Ratty524
author=eplipswich

Interesting, is it grade-level or an adult course?
author=Ratty524
author=eplipswich

Interesting, is it grade-level or an adult course?

Mostly grade-level, though I do teach adult staff as well :)
Computer tech support for Rogers through chat, rather than phones. TechXpert. It's the best job ever. I can listen to my music. I don't have to talk to people and I don't have to explain things to morons. I just take remote access of their computers and fix things myself. I spend half my time cleaning computers of malware/viruses.

*edit: haha as I post this my avatar is Beavis pounding on the a keyboard. My average customer xD*
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Presently, I'm disabled and collect disability, but I'll spare you all the sobs stories and talk about the stuff I did before I became disabled.

My first just was the custodian of a cinema. Man, let me tell ya, people sure make a hell of a mess in cinemas. At least free movies is a nice lil perk and it wasn't too bad of a job overall, though the managers sister, who was also a custodian, well, heh heh, I'll pass the chance to speak ill of her and let bygones be bygones.

My second job was housekeeping at a Holiday Inn. It was a pain in the ass, and to be honest, I'm glad I was only there for 2 months.

My last "job" was at a window production place. I put that in quotes because there was plenty of things I did there in the 5.5 years I was there. Most of that time was dealing with a shrink wrapper, dealing with labels, and sorting windows for shipping to deal with.

Now, I just sit and watch the world burn, or something like that.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I'm a social media analyst for an advertising agency. The work I did as a staff member and game developer here on RMN went on the application that got me the job. kentona helped too!
Ratty524
author=Solitayre
I'm a social media analyst for an advertising agency. The work I did as a staff member and game developer here on RMN went on the application that got me the job. kentona helped too!

Hot damn. Maybe I should include the games here in made to my portfolio.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
I teach conversational English to countryside kids who only want to know how to shout profanities at players in League of Legends. They could never tell you directions to the nearest McDonald's, but my god they could explain in detail why you are the shittiest Riven player on Earth
Don't know if it counts as a job, but I'm interning at an indie game company at the moment.

Outside of that I part-time at kids events where I am the gatekeeper of the Bouncy Castle and I get to tell kids when to get in and get out.
I'm in construction, working as a buyer for the company. Order materials, send them to suppliers, make sure the sites receive the building materials. The company is currently busy with around 4 jobs, and the company tendered for a job in Antarctica as well ( a refurbishment of an existing research base ), so I'll probably have a lot on my plate soon. ><

I work 8:15 - 17:00, get home at around 17:30 or a bit later. So my gam-mak time nowadays is very limited.
Pages: first 123 next last