WHAT'S YOUR DAY JOB? TALK ABOUT IT!

Pages: first prev 123 last
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Solitayre
author=Ratty524
author=Solitayre
Do...do people play Riven competitively?
She's a common pick in lower tiers (Bronze and Silver). I think she's pretty fine right now, but many of the noobs blow her way out of proportion.

I don't think we're talking about the same Riven.

Did I just have my 'I'm old' moment?

Maybe. It was a hilarious misunderstanding, though. xD
khazga
Perpetual Nuisance Machine
IT special projects for the American Embassy School in India. It's a pretty sweet gig. Three months of holiday a year. I do a lot of travelling. Don't actually deal with kids unless I chose to! Negotiated three days a week in the office starting August so I'll have time to Game Make after a long hiatus.

On the side I do remote web development for the Australian government as ongoing improvements of a project I did for them almost a decade ago (damn, am I that old?).
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Magi
I teach conversational English to countryside kids who only want to know how to shout profanities at players in League of Legends. They could never tell you directions to the nearest McDonald's, but my god they could explain in detail why you are the shittiest Riven player on Earth

this is pretty much what i do except i do it in an american public high school setting. more specifically, i tutor kids in the behavioral special ed program (so kids that are/have oppositional-defiant, OCD, ADHD, PTSD, anxiety, drug addictions, etc.). i consider being a videogame nerd and being 20 years younger than my co-workers a large boon to my job! too bad i don't want to do it and would like to either win the lottery or magically start making games for money

during the summer i help run a summer camp with kids who don't swear or threaten to kill me and it's really nice
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I rebuild and tune pianos. I specialize in rare antiques and unique styles. I used to rebuild old players, but it's just not worth the trouble anymore.
Heh, lot of teachers here. I teach English/Science/whatever at a public/private facility in Korea. All the benefits of government teaching (safety in employment, no shitty we're gonna screw you out of your contract bosses, paid on time and in full always, know they're paying your taxes/pension, etc), with the added benefit that since all the kids who come here are on school trips, we only deal with them for a week or so at most, and then they go the hell away. Been teaching in Korea for 6 years, and so far this is the first time I've actually been able to sit down and work on my projects without the threat of 'I could be out on my ass tomorrow' hanging over my head.
I'm a caregiver for old folks at an adult care home. I currently care for three residents 4 or 5 days a week from 9-7, and I've been doing so for a little over a year now. I've gotten pretty good at the routines and it's kinda fun to talk with some of them in between things.
My favorite part of the job I think would have to be the cooking. While the entrees and stuff are pretty simple and often mostly pre-made, it's being able to have others appreciate my cooking that really makes it worthwhile. At home we don't even sit at the table or eat all at the same time and my brother practically hates everything I try to cook while my stepdad is adverse to every vegetable I put on the plate and my mom doesn't get around to eating until way later at night due to her work hours.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
What is this "job" you speak of?
Overnight stocking for an American big-box home improvement company. I've been doing it for the last 5 years while taking classes here and there! Sure, it's taken me 5 years to work on a 2-year degree, but I'll graduate with my associate's in Accounting in December. Still not sure if I want to look into taxation or forensic accounting, but I know working for a high-profile company isn't the way I want to go.
Pages: first prev 123 last